• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Light bar for an RS?

beemermyke

I'm considering adding a light bar to my 04 R1150RS and was wondering if any members know of a manufacturer that makes them. Preferably, something that will clamp just below the oil cooler, between the fork legs. Any ideas? Also, suggestions for good lighting (i.e. PIAA) that shoots a beam a relatively long distance down the road (I commute to work in the dark) would be mucho appreciated. I already have motolights installed, which are primarily designed to throw a wide beam and greatly aids in being seen during the day. I'm considering wiring these extra lights into my high beam switch. Anyone out there tackle such a project?

Mike, I've not added any lights to mine, but I've read in several places of people cutting some aluminum bar for the flat area just below the oil cooler opening, or grille. One piece on top of the plastic, and one underneath for rigidity. (is that a word?) If you look at it, and feel around, what I'm talking about will become clear.

Anyway, you can then mount lights to that, and it would get them in pretty much the place you were shooting for.

Hope that helps

A company called RBR used to make a light mount like you describe. I've seen them on Ebay in the past but not recently. Here's a link to a similar thread....
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605337

And here's the Martin Fabrication brackets I use for Piaa lights on my RS. This mount was made for the Oilhead RT but since they share the same upper fender bolt, it works just fine on the RS. I read you already have motolights but this is a few inches above the brake caliper and with the right lights, would add quite a bit of useful light.
100_2029.jpg

If you're able to accurately draw the bar you need, I'd be happy to fabricate it free of charge. Metalwork and machine work is a hobby of mine and I'd be happy to give it a try.

Getting accurate measurements is the only hard part, but I can help you a bit with that.

PM or email ( EararcheMS@Gmail.com ) me if you'd like to give it a go.

I'm moving this over to Oilheads since it is bike model specific..

Please HANG ON, and keep hands and feet inside the thread for your safety and protection. Please do not attempt to leave the thread until it fully stops moving.. :bolt

Here is what I made for my 94 RS. It's a 1/4" thick aluminum plate, shaped to follow the contour of the fairing lower edge. I cut it out with a hacksaw, then did some shaping and smoothing with hand files. Gave it a "brushed" finish with sandpaper and applied clear urethane over that. I applied 1/8" thick neoprene on top of it before attaching it to the underside of the fairing lip, just below the cooler. Its been there now for four years with no issues.

If I made another one, I would increase the overall width by an inch at each end to cover more of the light base mount.

Attachments

• bikemirrors 001.jpg
    bikemirrors 001.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Assuming the oil cooler on Andy's bike is the same as the one used on 1150GS's - the mount hole spacing should be the same - 230mm. The only difference between a GS bar and and RS bar would be the overall width. And that could be measured with a ruler as a high degree of accuracy isn't all that important.

Extremely easy (and cheap) to make a light bar for it.

Thanks for the replies. (Earache, I PM'd ya.) Looks like that company that was making them is out of business. Lots of possibilities to make some brackets though. A few great ideas on here too, I might add. Thanks for all the inputs, gentlemen. :beer

Thanks for the compliment. Since I got rid of the pretty much useless (vibration) handlebar mounted mirrors, it left open a space for a push button switch right where my left hand index finger can easily reach it. Kind of like the new BMWs with the high beam switch by the left index finger.

I mounted a switch from Radio Shack into the old mirror mount hole, with a short piece of black tubing glued into the mirror hole. The switch mounted into the top of the tube and the wiring runs through the tube and under the handlebar.

I have the switch wired direct to the battery so I can turn the lights on anytime I want, low beam, high beam, no beam (handy if the headlight bulb burns out). I added a relay that is grounded through the iginition switch. That way, if I happen to leave the switch on, when I turn off the ignition the lights go out.

Back