• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Approved Tires?

Eldor

My local dealer (in Montreal Quebec) insists that the only tires they will install on my 2011 K1300GT are the either of the two "approved" tires by BMW... the Bridgestone BT-020 or Metzeler Z6. I was going to buy Michelin PR2's but he told me I would void the warranty by using those tires.

(This may or may not be legal in Quebec as our legal system here is not the same as anywhere else in North America.)

The only document I was able to find (on the German site) lists only those two tires. Is there any documentation anywhere (official) that recognizes other high-end tires as being acceptable?

The tire manufacturers (Michelin, Dunlop, and even Bridgestone and Metzeler) all have tires THEY say are suitable for my bike and I'd like to choose from among them. But I'm afraid to affect my warranty. My dealer said that in some very rare cases, they HAVE installed other tires, but only if the client signs a full release.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks!

I've seen nothing on this topic, but I am surprised that your dealer would still install the BT020s. These tires have been replaced twice over the last few years with the BT021s and now the BT023s. In my opinion, if you have no other choice, avoid the BT020. Many discussions (on this site and others) talk about the poor life and terrible cupping with the 020s. I've experienced this personally with the BT020s on my R1100R. I had good results from the 021s before I sold the R.

Keep us posted.

Having a very tough time believing that anyone can make a "VOIDED WARRANTY" due to approved tire status stick.

Having a very tough time believing that anyone can make a "VOIDED WARRANTY" due to approved tire status stick.

I believe such a thing would be illegal in most of North America, but here in Quebec, I'm not entirely sure. We're the only place in NA with a Napoleonic Code of Law and some things are downright strange.

Still no answer from to my email to BMW about tires and non-approved ones. I'll give it another 24 hours.

I think I'd be looking for another dealer. why don't you call BMW of North America and ask them what the "approved" tires are. My guess is there aren't any.

I think I'd be looking for another dealer. why don't you call BMW of North America and ask them what the "approved" tires are. My guess is there aren't any.

Oh but there are. The only official lists I have been able to find only list those two tires I mentioned. What I'm trying to determine is whether or not I would void my warranty by using a tire not approved by BMW (but recommended for my bike by a tire manufacturer).

Does your owners manual state anything about a specific brand of tire? I've never looked at mine for tire brand because I've always presumed it didn't matter.

what aspect of the warranty would be voided?
If you don't use an approved oil filter, and your engine craps, you've got problems.
if you don't use an approved air filter, and you suck in dirt that trashes your valves, you're screwed.
if you don't use an approved fuel filter, and your fuel pump dies, you're probably eating that one too.
the point here is that the failed system has to be associated with the non-approved part that you installed. if you use a non=approved oil filter, and your FD bearings take a dive- there is no voiding of the warranty, as the filter had squat to do with the FD.
So what part or system would non-approved tires void? The wheels? The tire itself? The air inside them?
Anything beyond that would just be stoopid. and fightable.
Personally, i think your dealer has his head up in a tight dark place, but that's just my opinion. Both on the warranty stand, as well as the tire selection choices- as neither the 020 nor the Z-6 are top shelf tires at this time.

It sounds like your dealer has a bad case of "I-don't-wanna-get-sued", and not enough common sense.

what aspect of the warranty would be voided?
If you don't use an approved oil filter, and your engine craps, you've got problems.
if you don't use an approved air filter, and you suck in dirt that trashes your valves, you're screwed.
if you don't use an approved fuel filter, and your fuel pump dies, you're probably eating that one too.

I think that if my heated grips or seats failed, there would certainly be no problem with warranty, but my dealer specifically mentioned brakes, ABS and suspension.

I've been in contact with BMW Canada both by email and phone and I'm waiting a response from them. After all, I'm not talking about using a sub-standard tire, but something more advanced than the two "approved" tires and which is recommended by the tire manufacturer for use on my bike.

Progress!!

Progress!!!

I got a call back from BMW Canada and the fellow I spoke with said that ANY tire of the SPECIFIED SIZE would be acceptable by BMW and would NOT affect the warranty in any way. I mentioned that as far as I knew, just having the right size wasn't all that was required, as some manufacturers (Michelin for example) produce a "regular" version of a tire and a "B" version (in the case of Michelin) which is what they recommend for the K1300GT. The fellow said he didn't know about that and as far as they were concerned any tire of the right size would be acceptable.

He is going to follow up with my dealer to find out where they've been getting their information and to clarify things and then will send me an email reply about this for my records.

This is great news! Thanks much to everyone who chimed in here.

Resolved!!

Just to (finally) put this thing to rest...

I got a call back from BMW Canada, and then a follow-up call from Bradley at Moto International. There is NO issue with warranty at all, as long as tires of the correct size are used and they are recommended for the K1300GT by the tire manufacturer.

Bradley said there had been a miss-communication between what he had told an old-school mechanic (who bleeds the BMW colors Bradley said) and the people at the parts department. Bradley said they have no problem at all in installing any tires I want, as long as they meet that above condition. It's only if I want to put something different on, something not even the recommended size, that I would have to sign a release.

It's a shame that their parts people were giving out such wrong information, but the result of this is absolutely first class, both on the part of BMW Canada and Moto International. The issue has been clarified internally at Moto International and handled in a most professional manner.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Just to (finally) put this thing to rest...

I got a call back from BMW Canada, and then a follow-up call from Bradley at Moto International. There is NO issue with warranty at all, as long as tires of the correct size are used and they are recommended for the K1300GT by the tire manufacturer.

Bradley said there had been a miss-communication between what he had told an old-school mechanic (who bleeds the BMW colors Bradley said) and the people at the parts department. Bradley said they have no problem at all in installing any tires I want, as long as they meet that above condition. It's only if I want to put something different on, something not even the recommended size, that I would have to sign a release.

It's a shame that their parts people were giving out such wrong information, but the result of this is absolutely first class, both on the part of BMW Canada and Moto International. The issue has been clarified internally at Moto International and handled in a most professional manner.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

I told you there was no such thing as an "approved tire". Just listen to me.

On other lists, I have read of the guys in Germany and maybe other parts of Europe having the same problem with their dealers and the Approved list of tires for the K13S and GTs. But, glad you got yours resolved here in Norte Am.
Good riding, and stay away from that old 020 front!!!! I have the PR2cts on my 13S and love the wear and handling, wet or dry.

I told you there was no such thing as an "approved tire". Just listen to me.

Actually, when a bike is new there are "approved" tires which constitute the tires that BMW has tested on that bike and approved up until that time. Generally they are the one or two brands they fit OEM. Tire makers also test tires on bikes, and have recommended fitments based on size, weight, speed and speed ratings, etc.

The problem arises when bikes get older and tire offerings change and BMW doesn't keep testing new tires on old bikes. Thus they generally defer at that point to the tire makers fitment guides.

Both BMW and tire makers go by the top speed of a motorcycle and whether it is perceived as a touring bike, sport touring bike or sport bike when designating proper fitment.

Thus my R1150R came with Bridgestone BT56 tires, listed as OEM on only two brands/models at that time: R1150R and the Hayabusa. They lasted almost 3000 miles.

Those are the facts.

Now my personal opinion. Sometimes I deviate from both BMW and tire maker's recommendations. Despite what they say I don't need a Z rated tire (sustained speeds over 149 mph). A V rated tire (up to 149 mph) certainly suffices, as would an H rated tire (up to SUSTAINED speeds of 130 mph).

Thus the approved and Metzeler recommended tire for my R1150R is a Z6 while I choose to run 880 Marathons. My choice. I give up some 148 mph sticky for longer tread life.

Back