• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

helmet fits okay but hurts after an while

f14rio

got a shoei 1000
i'm sure its the right size (would not want a bigger one)
the left and right top surfaces seem to apply a bit too much pressure.
my question is,

can i safely remove a bit of the padding?

if so, what's the best way to do this?

thanks
ed flanagan

My opinion, Yep:)

And there will be other opinions about touching the foam for this purpose! I would do it myself and use a blunt mettle spoon, pipe or somthing roundish in shape to press firmly the foam to compress it where it needs comfort adjust. I've done it and you must push really hard to get r done, so use a soft backup surface to keep the painted surfaces happy. Randy

Fit

I've also heard the back of the spoon thing. Bottom line despite what you say the helmet does not fit well. Shape of the head means as much as circumference. Unfortunately you sometimes don't know until you have had it for a while.

re: Unfortunately you sometimes don't know until you have had it for a while

yep. it seemed fine for about 75 miles. took it out the other day for about 2 hours. started to get a bit uncomfortable after about 90 minutes.
thanks for the help.
:)
0.jpg

actually, i've spent most of my life wearing one form of helmet or another. this is the only one that ever gave me any trouble.
go figger.
:(
5360358270_ede6bbd06a.jpg

5377598377_aff4977ab7.jpg

10951_547961702_bac11029fd_m.jpg

5484451336_f792029154.jpg

Last edited:
Foam padding mod

Sometimes the answer is to just modify the padding. Here's some pics.

This is the "cheek" pad from an HJC Draco Full Helmet, that I used to wear.. (Now I wear a Scorpion EXO-900 modular) Everything felt good but my FAT cheeks were being squeezed to death... and I wore this helmet for awhile. Look at the top right corner, you'll see an upside down "L" shape, this is where I added two "stitches" to pull-back the padding.
cheekpad.jpg

This is the backside of the pad, you can see the two stitches, tied. The holes you see in the plastic is from other spots that I first tried and they weren't satisfactory, plus at the start I thought it would be necessary to "hand-drill" little holes first, I found this unnecessary on every helmet I have done this on so far, the awl needle is PLENTY strong to pierce the plastic backing.
backcheekpad.jpg

And this is a awl for leather stitching, (I purchased this from a Hobby Shop that had leather crafting tools, Craft stores may have them, I believe the company is "Tandy") All I do is plunge it from the pad side through the back, pull back some thread, pull the needle back and then move over to where I want to "plunge" again, push it through and then cut-off some thread. You then just pull it tight and knot it and the cheek pad is now "pulled back." Once I got the hang of it, it was easy as could be and then you can custom fit your helmet to your face, where necessary.
awl.jpg

i just took two hammers and

using one as a stake to smooch the padding a bit. only did a little,,seems to make a bit of a difference. will take it out when an can and see. may have to do a little more smoochin', just don't want to do too much at one time.
nyuck, nyuck.
http://www.funofun.com/cybersmooch.htm

I found the spoon thing never worked for me. Instead, I find a very heavy smooth round object like a large socket rolled back and forth works best.

Why would you want to compress the internal foam (which could possibly alter it's safety factor for compression) when you can modify the padding itself resulting in "perfect fit" instantly?

..and it's too easy....

Helmet Fits OK, But Hurts After A While

F14rio,

The problem is your helmet does not fit. That is why it hurts.

It probably isn't the right shape for your head. I know, because this is what happened to me:

I purchased a size Large, Arai Quantum helmet in 2009 at my BMW dealer before the BMWMOA Rally in Johnson City, TN. It fit just fine in the dealership. On the road (Blue Ridge Parkway) about 150 miles from home, I began experiencing pain in my forehead. The forehead pain ceased when I stopped at an overlook and removed the helmet. We continued the ride and the forehead pain returned. If I had brought another helmet with me, I would have flung the Arai Quantum (even though it cost me $480) off the side of the mountain.

When I arrived at the Rally, I visited the Service Pavillion booth, since they are one of the largest Arai dealers in the U.S. The lady measured my head and determined that my head shape was a long oval shape, which equates to an Arai Profile. The Arai Quantum is for round head shapes, which is why I was experiencing the forehaead pain. The Service Pavillion lady also told me that I took a Medium in the Arai Profile, instead of a Large.

I was able to negotiate a trade of the Arai Quantum for the Arai Profile helmet. I rode the rest of the days at the Rally and all the way home with no further pain. I learned my lesson that I should have my head measured and buy a helmet that fits me correctly, rather than one that feels good just trying it on at the dealership.

Based on my experience, my recommendation to you is to measure your head and determine which size/shape helmet you need and buy a new one. I would not try to modify the existing helmet, since it might damage or compromise the protective materials.

Bill

I agree with the above recommendations. That is why I bought my Shoei x-11 from a local dealer. He gave me a 30 day return warranty, because I thought the helmet was too tight when I bought it... after wearing it a bit, it broke in and fit perfect. Wise advise, measure your head and know your head shape... it will make all the difference in a world.

+1 on head shape VS helmet size.

I bought a Shoei helmet, size L, because that's what I normally buy and the dimensions matched my big melon head. Felt wonderful until 90-120 minutes, then could feel the pressure in the front. If I took the helmet off for 10 minutes or so, I could ride a little further before it happened again.

Seems like Shoei makes helmets for round heads, mines oblong. I like Shoei helmets though and I'd been eyeing another style, so I bought an XL, even though I thought it might be too large and loose on the sides, if it fit the length. Actually, fit great. Snug all the way around, no excess movement, and I have never felt the pressure or pain again. Doesn't feel like I'm wearing a water bucket and I can't spin it around on my head, so I think I'm good. :thumb

+1 on head shape VS helmet size.

I bought a Shoei helmet, size L, because that's what I normally buy and the dimensions matched my big melon head. Felt wonderful until 90-120 minutes, then could feel the pressure in the front. If I took the helmet off for 10 minutes or so, I could ride a little further before it happened again.

Seems like Shoei makes helmets for round heads, mines oblong. I like Shoei helmets though and I'd been eyeing another style, so I bought an XL, even though I thought it might be too large and loose on the sides, if it fit the length. Actually, fit great. Snug all the way around, no excess movement, and I have never felt the pressure or pain again. Doesn't feel like I'm wearing a water bucket and I can't spin it around on my head, so I think I'm good. :thumb

Actually if ya look at the videos I linked you will find shoei to to be medium oblong in shape.

yup.. molded with my knuckles..every helmet I ever had with "foam" liner...like MC helmet. For the steel pot, I wasn't paying much attention to that...except how to crawl inside of it...

With regards to the OP, I would not compress the foam, since that is what absorbs the impact. I agree with the other posts that indicate the helmet is not a proper fit. If you can't return it, then making some minor changes, like compressing the foam, until you can locate a proper fitting helmet is probably not a bad option. I usually wear the helmet for about 15 min in the dealer/store before I purchase a helmet. So far, that has worked well for me.

With regards to Shoei, in 2004, Shoei's were uncomfortable for me. However, the mulitec is comfortable, so their shape has changed over the years. At least that's what I think.

^I agree about not compressing the foam, but I wouldn't hesitate to compress the pads, that's what helmet manufacturers do... maybe two "outer helmet sizes"... with different pad inserts to "change" the sizes from small to XXL...

Back