• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spot connect

soph9

We own a SPOT 2 and works really well on trips when you do not want to use our cell or can't because of no coverage. This new little device can make your phone into a satellite phone and even send real time messages via your phone after downloading an App. Release date not sure...cost unknown as well for now...but something to really consider eh?

1198578762_TwVWA-L.png

This looks interesting. It looks like a text based satellite comm link. It's easier to send text than voice but I have a feeling this new system will still be a subscription based service. It will be interesting to see the details. Gary

it us a subscription like their other SPOTS...Basic is $99 a year with $29.99 for 100 Text Messages and .50 cents over or $49.99 for 500 TM...you have to subscribe for a year...we use our SPOT when ever we go out off road and know we will be out of cell range

Why the connect?

Guys and gals,

To me, the Connect adds problems when what you really want is a failsafe communication device for delays and emergencies. If your smartphone isn't charged, this thing doesn't work. Why bother? Stick with the Spot 2. It's lightweight, tough-tested, and it provides redundancy when your smartphone is on the blink.

Your smartphone will go on the blink, by the way, if you are riding in Tornado alley or hit a wind storm or any number of weather conditions that knock out cell towers. And that is just when your friends and loved ones are gonna freak wondering if you're OK.

SPOT works directly off satellites.

We will be getting a Spot for our daughter when she's old enough to start driving around with dodgy teenage drivers! "Anybody's drinking or doing drugs in the car or texting while driving, you just get out. Don't have to say a word. Press Help and we'll come get you, no questions asked."

SPOT is the bomb.

I never climb or ride without my SPOT. Critical piece of rider equipment. Five stars.

Back