• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Road Trippin' USA 2012

I'm hoping you will stay overnight at my place and spend a day at Niagara Falls. Lots to see and do there, especially with a guide who was born there. Plus I know the good roads instead of the QEW. The 3 people who followed me home from the MOA rally seemed to really enjoy it.
http://www.yearroundriders.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7176

4 hours from my house to Flint. You have to get back to my house from the Falls, so 5 hours from the Falls. You can go south to Chicago from Flint. Some nasty high traffic areas once you leave MI, but that's life. If you have the time, though, plan to go north, over the Macinack bridge, then south along the west side of Lake Michigan to Milwaukee, then south to Chicago. Much, much nicer.

Again, don't cast anything in stone too much ahead of time. Use your routes as general guides but be open to weather and the suggestions of locals as you go along.

Good Morning Holly! (it's 7:48 in Vienna)

It would be great to stay at your place. And don't worry, all I need is a framework to get a feeling about the length of the route and the amount of time we may need. From your place we will drive as long as we can or like. The update of the section is here. About the details we can talk next year - together with a cup of coffee. ;)

Good Morning, Dave, Good Evening for you. I am 2 hours further west from my home, in Denver, Colorado right now so it is 09:40 here, 11:40 at home and 17:40 for you (gotta love Foxclocks!)

That route looks so much better. I'm sure there are threads here on circumnavigating Lake Michigan. Time to test out the search function!

Holly

Thanks to the OP for this particular thread. I'm currently working in the desert and most of the wars should be over by the time I feel like bailing out in SEP/OCT 2012 and plan to use the winter months in NC to build up on the 2003 BMW F650 GS I just purchased on my last leave home. Estimated start date is late March/early April 2013.

The overall plan is to spend a year or two just touring North America via motorcycle. Period. No job, no work other than on the motorcycle itself. Take some pictures, do some writing on the overseas adventures I've had working for Uncle Sam in various places in uniform and out. I literally have zero bills to pay other than health/motorcycle insurance. I've calculated the financials right down to exaggerated inflation and $5/gal fuel costs and money to live on while finding a new job when I'm done and it's all doable. Heck, I was initially going to do it via an E-LSA seaplane but dealing with the FAA can be such a hassle nowadays. Just getting my LSA license was a pain. No wife, no car, no emotional baggage that could come with either.

Mike's initial route drawn up is a good starting place. Of course, since I live in the middle of NC, The Dragon is only a few hours away so I'll be hitting that first thing to warm up the bike prior to rolling out.

Depending on mood, I may upgrade to either a new G650 GS or an F800 GS. Problem is, I'm a short 5'5" rider with a 30" inseam. Makes selecting a proper ADV-capable bike a lot harder and I'm a die-hard BMW fan anyway - probably due to spending 12 years in the Frankfurt am Main area. Will definitely need a new windscreen and better lower seat no matter what I wind up traveling on.

So if Mike's still up to doing this in 2013 - or anyone else for that matter - I should be able to ride with him some/most/all(?) of the way and we can split costs on hotel rooms and such. Be forewarned: I'm used to camping out a LOT and that's my main preference when on the road. I tend to be a minimalist when traveling, so don't expect large cooking apparati or bags of food to magically appear from my bags.

CHARACTER NOTES: I'm a southern fiscal conservative who believes in a woman's right to choose. I believe in the right of the people to make their own decisions in life, not the nanny-state. I tend to address others with "ma'am" or "sir" a lot - anyone not comfortable with that, not my problem and they need not apply. I don't talk much or hang out with large groups of people. I speak only when I have something to contribute. I don't do "show me your ****" biker rallies or carnivals. I don't drink much alcohol, only on special occasions when out and about and never to excess when I have to work/ride the next day - hangovers suck. I don't smoke tobacco and/or "other" but others' tobacco use doesn't bother me. No illegal drugs or drug abuse. I see illegal drugs or drug abuse, I will promptly disappear faster than the value of a U.S. dollar. I don't smile or frown much. Doesn't mean I'm not happy or having fun or whatever, I just tend to not expend energy on facial expressions. This tends to upset some people - to those people I say "meh" and will be on my way. Bullying or putting down others to excess is also highly frowned upon in my world. Friendly back-n-forth insult banter between friends is fine, but cruelty will not be tolerated.
I don't talk politics or war. Disgusted with the former, seen too much of the latter.
Someone I'm riding with breaks down, I stop to lend a hand. I expect the same if I break down. Firm believer in the "never leave a man/woman behind" warrior mentality.

But hey, enough about me....

Mike's initial route drawn up is a good starting place.
It's indeed a good starting place. It worked: I got enough tips and good advice to make a 5 years journey... Since I still have some time and I'm currently very much tied up in my Africa mission (going to Dakar), I'm going to think about the (more or less) final route some time next year. Final means that that's the route I'll embark on. But I can deviate from it when I feel like it. I don't want to overplan the trip. The route is more like a handle so that I know it's doable. But I want to be flexible. You never know what happens. I whish I could go on a trip indefinite...
So if Mike's still up to doing this in 2013 - or anyone else for that matter - I should be able to ride with him some/most/all(?) of the way and we can split costs on hotel rooms and such. Be forewarned: I'm used to camping out a LOT and that's my main preference when on the road.
In principle, I'm game for some traveling with someone for part of the way. We could meet up somewhere and see where it goes. I'm thinking about camping and the Motorcycle Travel Network, combined with some invitations I got.
If we both keep an open mind and all options open, we can ride together as long as we want.

Mind you, I'm a tourist in the States, so I might want to go to places that make you laugh (or cry...) ;) I'm not your typical tourist in the sense that I want to go to the well-knows tourist traps, but still there are some things that I need to see when I'm in the neighbourhood. We'll see. First I have to make sure that I get everything together to make it to the US in 2013.

It's indeed a good starting place. It worked: I got enough tips and good advice to make a 5 years journey... Since I still have some time and I'm currently very much tied up in my Africa mission (going to Dakar), I'm going to think about the (more or less) final route some time next year. Final means that that's the route I'll embark on. But I can deviate from it when I feel like it. I don't want to overplan the trip. The route is more like a handle so that I know it's doable. But I want to be flexible. You never know what happens. I whish I could go on a trip indefinite...

In principle, I'm game for some traveling with someone for part of the way. We could meet up somewhere and see where it goes. I'm thinking about camping and the Motorcycle Travel Network, combined with some invitations I got.
If we both keep an open mind and all options open, we can ride together as long as we want.

Mind you, I'm a tourist in the States, so I might want to go to places that make you laugh (or cry...) ;) I'm not your typical tourist in the sense that I want to go to the well-knows tourist traps, but still there are some things that I need to see when I'm in the neighbourhood. We'll see. First I have to make sure that I get everything together to make it to the US in 2013.

Yeah, yeah, "World's Largest Ball of Twine" and all that.

No worries, I'll have your back. Remember, even though I'm American I haven't really lived there longer than a couple of weeks since 1995. Most of the time I was living either in Germany, Africa, or the Middle East. But the F650 GS survived an earthquake and I was able to outrun a hurricane with it, so it's been tested. The family also owns 500 acres of farmland in SE NC that has a 2-3 acre clayhole on it that is near perfect for practicing off-road skills. You just have to make sure you're carrying a good .308 rifle in case the black bears decide to get ornery. I use a Steyr Scout rifle in .308 myself...working on plans for a modified rifle rack for the bike.
FYI, when the state trooper told me the road was out going to the Outer Banks the day after the hurricane I told him "Roads? Where I'm going I don't need roads..." (props if you know where this line comes from)
I then promptly splashed my way through the washouts to the island - good thing it was low tide!
What was really funny was the local TV news crew filming and saying something about how all traffic to the Outer Banks was stopped - and then I promptly go flying by right through the middle of their "see? no traffic" shot, completely ruining it.

Note to self: Don't ever do that again, dummy! Salt water is a PITA to thoroughly wash off a bike!

I've been to Key West a couple of times, my mom used to live in Palm Bay, FL, and I was already planning a trip down there to get a replacement Margaritaville hat (my Jamacan one is wearing out) and then head west pretty much right along the route you're looking at but something that hugs the coastline a little more. Definitely want to hit the Big Easy and Bourbon street again. If you take I-10 from N.O. all the way through to El Paso to try to see some bits of NM and AZ in the future, let me tell you about the horribly long 500+ mile stretch from San Antonio to EL Paso - there is NOTHING there but the Texas Badlands and many miles between fuel stations. Extra fuel should be carried on that stretch.
In El Paso one can take a detour through the mountain for some fun uphill/downhill short twisties. Stay out of the downtown sector after dark and one shouldn't get shot.

Right now I'm planning on the following routes during my year-long tour:

1) The TAT from TN to OR (spring - CO weather may force a detour)
2) The CDT from Mexico to Canada (summer)
3) Deadhorse, AK (summer following the CDT)
4) The Oregon Backcountry Trail (on the way back from Alaska)

I'll be wintering over in Baja, crashing where I can. Or I'll head down to Panama to winter over with a friend who retired there. Whatever, no real plans yet, just vagabonding.

I've ridden the bridge as well and thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, I'm told that motorcycles less than 400cc aren't allowed on it, but I rode over it on a 250 and had no problems. Some people, however, are bothered by heights and being able to look so far down through the mesh grating is a problem for them.

Big Mac is not a problem. Been stationary in the middle on the grating, looking around and down while the maintenance crew is painting/sandblasting sections. Sometimes you can even feel the span sway a bit.

If you take I-10 from N.O. all the way through to El Paso to try to see some bits of NM and AZ in the future, let me tell you about the horribly long 500+ mile stretch from San Antonio to EL Paso - there is NOTHING there but the Texas Badlands and many miles between fuel stations. Extra fuel should be carried on that stretch.
In El Paso one can take a detour through the mountain for some fun uphill/downhill short twisties. Stay out of the downtown sector after dark and one shouldn't get shot.

Hi, Mike,
Some of what dmclemore says is true.

You should not need to carry fuel with you from San Antonio to El Paso if you are on Interstate 10. There are towns and there is fuel. You might need to plan your fuel stops, but I've never had problems with R65, R100, K75 or K1100 bikes. I'd think twice if I had a Harley Sportster with the 2.25gal peanut tank, but other than that, you should have no problem.

If I'm still alive (currently fighting stomach cancer) and living in El Paso, contact me on your way here for advice. If I'm here, you're welcome to stay in my house and I can tell you some decent rides (pavement only - I'm not into dirt bikes).

I try not to be downtown at night. You don't hear of very many shootings downtown; it's mostly stabbings, especially near bars at maybe 2:00am.

You should not need to carry fuel with you from San Antonio to El Paso if you are on Interstate 10.
I do have a large tank and can do a minimum of 400km on one tank. I do tend to carry a little 'fuel friend' with 2litres just to make sure or to help others out. You never know.
If I'm still alive (currently fighting stomach cancer) and living in El Paso, contact me on your way here for advice. If I'm here, you're welcome to stay in my house and I can tell you some decent rides (pavement only - I'm not into dirt bikes).
Sad to hear that you're not well, and I truly hope you'll win the fight. Let's meet up and have a beer on your recovery!
I try not to be downtown at night. You don't hear of very many shootings downtown; it's mostly stabbings, especially near bars at maybe 2:00am.
Now th?ít sounds inviting! ;)

@dmclemore: the weirdest thing...I did reply to your latest post but it seems to have vanished... Whatever...can't remember exactly what I wrote. Let's just see what happens and talk again when I'm coming over to the US.

Just another small step for our trip 2012:

I got my new bike and it's almost ready:
R1200GSA_1.jpg

@Holly: as promised, here's your flag :)
fahne.jpg

Oh wow, great looking bike Dave. No wonder you have such a huge smile. Looking forward to flying that flag when you are at my place!:ca

Luckies:

You don't HAVE to take the Cherohala. Just a suggestion on my part, as its one of my fav roads. Scenic & lightly travelled. Check it out on YouTube.

There are plenty of others that you'll encounter along your route that'll put a big smile on your face.

If you do that NC-28 west to US-129 north, that'll carry you onto The Dragon. The "318 Curves in 11 Miles" road. NOt that bad actually, as long as you forget about keeping up w/ the squids, and watchout for semis. And it IS heavily travelled, due to its notoriety.

In North America you must be very careful. Here people on the roads, especially the autobahn, pass on the left and right of you. This is probably something not usually experienced in Europe. You have to do a shoulder check before every lane change and this means to the left and especially to the right because you may not expect someone to pass you on that side.

Aside from that, you may want to consider riding through Canada to the north of Lake Superior.

US Trip

I wish I could come tomorrow! :usa :buds :ca

I note that you plan to come in March, and possibly come down south on your first leg. March is Daytona Bike Week month, and the week after that is a rally down in the Keys, both of which offer good camping and many congenial riders. Camping at Bike Week is readily available at Holiday Travel Park on Old Dixie Hwy, and sponsored by the local BMW club.

Since I live in the area of the Smoky Mountains, I know you will like The Blue Ridge Parkway, and in spring, you'll have no traffic problems. No leaf-lookers to hold you back, like in the fall.

The "out-west" pictures make me want to take off and go, too! Never seen those sights!

Follow along the east coast? No. YOu will,or can get your feel of the coast in Fla, down Hwy A1A, from Fernandina Beach, Fla,to Daytona Beach. Outer Banks? Interesting, but you have lots of water in Holland! :) You will see plenty of palm trees down in Key West! :)

Like others, I'd be willing to assist you in any manner I could.
Good luck,
Larry in Marietta, South Carolina

John, ok .. I know now what you mean. I've put it in the route and will think about that as we're there. ;)

Walter, thanks for your warnings and your advice about Lake Superior. Canada is still on my "ToDo" list of countries I want to visit. Next time for sure. ;)

Planning the route is finished!

First of all I've to say

THANK YOU!!

For your advices, informations, links, contacts and support in planning this trip.
It was really hard work to fit all these pieces together. And everytime there was something new, I reworked the route. Over and over again.

With all the input you gave me I'm sure we'll see much more as we expected. The good thing is, that we'll miss a lot. BUT the more better thing is, there's a reason to do this again. ;)

For now I've "planned" 46 days on the bike. Some of them will be hard others will be easy (half day ride). With another 14 days off we should do this trip without cutting our asses from the bench. On some of these days I'd like to explore the area (ie. backroads in Colorado). So it won't be allways a relaxing day (only for my wife otherwise she would play with my balls in a way I'm sure I won't like it).

In miles... around 12000 (maybe more). If you're interested, here you'll find the parts of the route: gallery. But please don't take it too serious because there are a lot of unknown variables (weather, phys. condition, breakdowns etc.). Especially at the beginning I'll use it as a direction. Until I've got a feeling about riding in the US (distances and time).

The next weeks won't be boring either. Paperwork has to be done (shipping and insurances), checking the equipment, the space arrangement (ie. test-packing the cases) and do last changes before my bike leaves Europe.

At least I would like to let you know that your friendliness and help is NOT self-evident to me. People of this community invited us, who don't know or never seen us, into their houses to stay or for a meal. This is an honor for us and we're very pleased. This should be also said because I know that foreigners are not always welcome.

63 days left :clap

Back