• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Road Trippin' USA 2012

Mike_Philippens

Certifiable User
I postponed the trip to 2013

Like I already told in my introduction, I'm planning a road trip around the US in 2012 on my own bike. I'm going to ship it from Holland to New York and ride around for 3 months (july-august-september). It's always been my dream to ride the US on a bike, and I did it in 2000 on a HD for 3 days on R66 (I know... ;) ). But I want more, and especially not be confined by a couple of weeks. You end up seeing not very much and spend a lot of money anyway. Renting is not an option. Renting a bike for 4 weeks costs as much as shipping my own bike back and forth, including insurance (which is insanely expensive for the US!). I found out that insurance can be arranged directly with an American company Fernet for a more reasonable price than I got previously. It's still way more expensive than the $50 I pay here in Holland for an entire year of liability. I realize however, that the US is a bit different and I need to be properly insured in case something happens

So...that's the background. I don't want to overplan this trip. I need some kind of plan obviously, but I want to have the liberty to deviate of that. What I did over the past few weeks, is plotting points on the map and now I made a route in Mapsource just to see how long the route is. That is something I need to know approximately to prevent over-enthousiastic planning. I first came up with 27,000km, which might be a bit optimistic. I cut down the route to some 20,000km. This seems right for a 90 day trip. I did a trip back and forth to Morrocco and that was 7800km in 3 weeks. Remember the route is just a rough outline of the areas that I want to visit. It is subject to change over time and during the trip. By setting the basic route to 20,000km, I have room to stay somewhere for a couple of days and/or go somewhere else.

This is the route that I made with Mapsource:
usa2012-2.jpg

Let me describe the route by mentioning the highlights:
  • start from New York (Newark)
    [DITCHED]Visit Long Island and see The Hamptons
  • Follow the coastline up to Plymouth and see where the Mayflower landed (my father had a boat called the Mayflower, an American Yacht as it happens)
  • Follow the coastline further up to Nova Scotia, do a round over the Cabot Trail
  • Go through Canada to Quebeck, Montreal, Niagra Falls
  • Enter the US again, go to Michigan visit an old friend in Grand Ledge
  • Go up in direction of Lake Superior, then West direction Duluth
  • Set off to the West, to Mount Rushmore and Deadwood in Dakota
  • Yellowstone Park
  • Go south to Denver, Colorado (family visit)
  • To Texas, Big Bend
  • Explore Texas, using some info from the Lone Star Trail RR.
  • Drive through Louisiana,Mississippi, Alabama
  • Go through Florida, to the Keys
    [DITCHED]From the Keys back up to Newark, following the coastline
    [DITCHED]Pass through Delaware, instead of visiting Washington (I've seen the pictures)
    [*]Drive back up through FLA, direction Blue Ridge Mountains and whatever comes in between. Coastline doesn't seem to be interesting.
  • Put the bike on a boat
  • Take a plan back home
  • Wait a couple of weeks for my bike to arrive

March 1st
I might reverse the route (from NY direction Keys, then direction Texas, up north and than back east) and start in May that way I'll be in the south when the temperature is still ok, and the holiday season is not fully underway. Travel period will be May-June-July
The map will be changed soon

Just for kix, I counted the states that I'll pass through on this trip: 27 + 4 Canadian states.

I'm pretty stoked about the plan, and the route seems very nice to me. Nothing is really fixed, but some things I'd really like to see. Some is tourist stuff, but I am a tourist and when I'm close to Mount Rushmore (Deadwood was my 1st goal), I'd better go up and see what the fuzz is all about. Yellowstone is something I think is stunning to see. Nova Scotia and the Cabot Trail looks so nice, so I think I should go there. Same for Niagra Falls.

So, are there any must-sees around this route? Something I missed?
While I planned to go for hotels/motels, I'm now starting to think that I might bring my little tent with me. Is that a good idea? I'm not a real camper, and I don't really want to carry all the stuff with me that you need when you go camping. It adds so much to you luggage. How is camping in the US? I have a very small and easy to raise tent (sort of umbrella-typ quick release) and I could take a simple gas stove to make some coffee or heat a can of soup, but I don't want to carry a complete cooking set. Too much hassle for me... ;)

Any tips for paper maps? I have a Garmin Z??mo 660, but paper maps are always handy if somebody needs to show me something. And since I don't want to plan the entire trip, I sometime might want to navigate with a real map. In Europe you take the Michelin maps. What are the maps I'll need for the US with enough detail for the smaller backroads which I like so much. I really don't want to experience the US by Interstate alone. Rand MacNally seems to be the map of choice. Locally maps should be available at tourist information/welcome centers

Last edited:
Mike:

Good luck with your plans. I bet it will be an enjoyable journey.

As far as maps are concerned, most (if not all) of the states you'll be travelling through offer free road maps. If you go to each state's webpage, look for a tourism section. The free map offer should be for there.

One place I would recommend that wouldn't pull you too far from your route is the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum, located just east of Birmingham, Alabama. An excellent & comprehensive collection of motorcycles.

I'm sure others will chime in with their suggestions.

JohnM

Mike, if you are going to be near Albuquerque, that's not that far from the Grand Canyon. I would think that it would be worth seeing. Going there myself in the spring, so later this year I could be more emphatic about whether or not seeing that landmark would be worth the detour. :ca

Let me describe the route by mentioning the highlights:
  • start from New York (Newark)
  • Visit Long Island and see The Hamptons
  • Follow the coastline up to Plymouth and see where the Mayflower landed (my father had a boat called the Mayflower, an American Yacht as it happens)
  • Follow the coastline further up to Nova Scotia, do a round over the Cabot Trail
  • Go through Canada to Quebeck, Montreal, Niagra Falls
  • Enter the US again, go to Michigan visit an old friend in Grand Ledge
  • Go up in direction of Lake Superior, then West direction Duluth
  • Set off to the West, to Mount Rushmore and Deadwood in Dakota
  • Yellowstone Park
  • Go south to Denver, Colorado (family visit)
  • To Texas, Big Bend
  • Explore Texas, using some info from the Lone Star Trail RR.
  • Drive through Louisiana,Mississippi, Alabama
  • Go through Florida, to the Keys
  • From the Keys back up to Newark, following the coastline
  • Pass through Delaware, instead of visiting Washington (I've seen the pictures)
  • Put the bike on a boat
  • Take a plan back home
  • Wait a couple of weeks for my bike to arrive

So, are there any must-sees around this route? Something I missed?..................

O.K. Here is my advice, I am sure you will get more.

[*]start from New York (Newark)

[*]Visit Long Island and see The Hamptons Skip it unless you have some compelling reason to take 4 lane highways to see the ocean, Volvos , MB's and BMW 5 series, but being from Holland, you have seen water, and European cars before. Lots of traffic, lots of urban sprawl, too many SUV's, and no fun riding IMHO. If you want to ride an Island, stop in Bar Harbor Maine

[*]Follow the coastline up to Plymouth and see where the Mayflower landed (my father had a boat called the Mayflower, an American Yacht as it happens)

[*]Follow the coastline further up to Nova Scotia, do a round over the Cabot Trail

[*]Go through Canada to Quebeck, Montreal, Niagra Falls If time allows, dip S from Montreal into Vermont and NY, on the way to the falls. The ride along the St Lawrence, and the N shore of Lake Ontario are flat and monotonous, Toronto is a nice city, but if you have seen one North American city, you have seen them all.

[*]Enter the US again, go to Michigan visit an old friend in Grand Ledge

[*]Go up in direction of Lake Superior, then West direction Duluth

[*]Set off to the West, to Mount Rushmore and Deadwood in Dakota

[*]Yellowstone ParkPlan on a WEEK in Yellowstone, it is an amazing area

[*]Go south to Denver, Colorado (family visit)

[*]To Texas, Big Bend

[*]Explore Texas, using some info from the Lone Star Trail RR.

[*]Drive through Louisiana,Mississippi, Alabama

[*]Go through Florida, to the Keys

[*]From the Keys back up to Newark, following the coastline. Screw the coastline, it is 1000 miles of the same thing. Interstate, and cities. Head inland, Take the Blue Ridge North, and if you indeed like small roads, and have a week to spare, spend it here, let me know if you take this advice, I will send you back roads.

[*]Pass through Delaware, instead of visiting Washington (I've seen the pictures)

...........What are the maps I'll need for the US with enough detail for the smaller backroads which I like so much. I really don't want to experience the US by Interstate alone.

Maps are readily available at thousands of Gas stations/convenience stores in every state. Also many states have welcome centers along the interstates that offer free maps. If you want small roads that is a challenge, DeLorme Atlas' are available, detailed but you would need a trailer just to carry them. I would say when you are in an area that you can spend time, pick up a regional map. Spend time with Map Quest, and Googls maps, and mark roads of interest.

Remember the size of the US is IMMENSE compared to Europe. I take 10 maps, and a GPS with me to the Alps, and the Entire Alp region would fit into the state of Tennessee.

Sounds like a Wonderful trip.

When you get to the Big Bend the two "must-ride" roads are:

FM170 otherwise known as the River Road between Presidio and Study Butte. It is really interesting between Presidio and Lajitas.

The Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive from Tx118 (in the National Park) to Castolon and Santa Elena Canyon.

When coming south get over to TX 118 at Kent (at I-10) and take 118 south to Ft. Davis past the McDonald Observatory.

Mike, if you are going to be near Albuquerque, that's not that far from the Grand Canyon. I would think that it would be worth seeing. Going there myself in the spring, so later this year I could be more emphatic about whether or not seeing that landmark would be worth the detour. :ca
I saw that my route to Denver CO takes me very near the Rockies, so I have to go there. I didn't plot a waypoint on it, but it would be a waste not to visit it.

Devils Tower near Rushmore is a nice site/ride.
Isn't that the Devils Tower from Close Encounters? Yep! I'm old enough to remember that one! I'll mark it on my map, looks like something I'll have to see.

O.K. Here is my advice, I am sure you will get more.
Thanks for that advice. I was not really sure about the Hamptons. It's just something I heard a lot about and thought it would be a nice area to visit. But it's high on the list of things to skip if something better comes along.
The places I mention, like Toronto and such are not all places I want to ride through and/or visit. They're more like placeholders for the route. I really hate big cities on the bike. As a matter of fact, I skipped Rome when I was in Italy because it was hot and the traffic is not very nice with a bike. I prefer the places where you can actually see nice things and that are a bit more authentic. That's why I'm not going to Whashington for instance. I may be a fine city to live in, but I've seen the White House and Lincoln memorial on TV more than the people who live there... ;)
And please...send me the back roads...I'll use the Interstates only to cover some distance, and for touring I prefer the backroads.

Thanks for all the advice and tips! Keep 'm coming

The places I mention, like Toronto and such are not all placetaly ................. I prefer the places where you can actually see nice things and that are a bit more authentic. ...........

And please...send me the back roads...I'll use the Interstates only to cover some distance, and for touring I prefer the backroads.

Thanks for all the advice and tips! Keep 'm coming

Montreal is a nice place, the old city is very "European". That said, most of the other cities in the US, the downtown is business, tall buildings and a 9-5 world, before everyone escapes to the suburbs. There are some exceptions, but personally I avoid them like the plague. In Europe it is the opposite, the center of the city is the cultural hub, and commerce center where all the people gather at night and there are restaurants and clubs to socialize. You rarely find that in the US.

The authenticity in the US lies in the rural areas.

In Europe it is the opposite, the center of the city is the cultural hub, and commerce center where all the people gather at night and there are restaurants and clubs to socialize. You rarely find that in the US.
It's starting to change here. In Amsterdam for instance, more and more caf?®s downtown are taken over by large investors. That means that the people behind the counter are employees and not owners. You have to look for real authentic places that are truly nice to be. Sometimes you feel like you're in a supermarket instead of a caf?®...

The places I mention, like Toronto and such are not all places I want to ride through and/or visit.

If you did wish to see the CN Tower, now the second tallest free standing structure, from the 401 take the Don Valley Parkway south to the Gardiner and then the QEW to Hamilton and then to London. On the Gardiner, you'd ride right past the Tower.

However, you said that you didn't wish to visit Toronto, so, when approaching Toronto on the 401, in Whitby, take Brock Street North to the 407 and exit at the 401 near Milton and continue your trip west. Unfortunately it is an expensive toll road, but the 401 skirting Toronto is the busiest highway in North America, yes even more than LA. It is not a pleasant ride on a bike unless you are very, very early in the morning. Any time past 6:00 a.m. is rush hour. The 407 makes the bypass very quick and stress free. Happy travelling through our province. :thumb:ca

If you're interested in maritime stuff, Duluth has a really good museum about Great Lakes shipping.

It looks like you've selected some good roads in northern Wyoming and edging into Montana. I wouldn't spend a week in Yellowstone, but others may. Because of the traffic and "animal stops" (when an animal appears, all traffic stops or slows to a crawl), it will take at least a day to get through it.

If you go through Thermopolis, Wyoming, a soak in the hot springs is fun. Wave or stop by when you come through Laramie.

Depending on how much time you have, instead of heading straight south from Denver, take US 285 over to Poncha Springs and then south to Taos and Santa Fe - less traffic and much prettier. If you have a little more time take I-70 west from Denver, then Colorado 91 to Leadville and head south, catching 285 near Buena Vista. (At Mineral Hot Springs, take the Colorado 17 shortcut.)

There are a lot more interesting roads in Colorado, but this won't take you out of your way too much.

The Blue Ridge Parkway from Tennessee to Virginia is wonderful, but don't do it on a summer weekend and don't expect to make good time on it. There are also many really good roads in the area where Georgia and North Carolina touch.

I don't know what time of year you are coming, but my tendency would to go the other direction, to pass through the hot and humid south and hot and dry Texas before the full heat of summer. Also note that many passes in Wyoming don't open until the end of May.

It looks like a wonderful trip. Have fun!

- Kate

Mike:

As was already suggested, there's not much to see in The Hamptons. In fact, it'll be very congested with traffic in July. If you must do it, Bill Joel has a small motorcycle museum on the north shore of Long Island. Might want to consider that.

Also, if you do decide to go out to LI, you can continue from the east end to New England via the Orient Point ferry to New London, CT. Will save you a bunch of time & aggravation. Reservations will be a must though.

Never been there, but the mansions along the coast at Newport RI are supposedly amazing.

I'll also second the recommendation to somehow work the Blue Ridge Parkway into your return leg to NJ. That would probably mean eliminating the eastern coastline from Georgia to NJ, but I think it would be worth it.

Another thought: When my friends from Germany visited, they very much wanted to see a rodeo. Many towns in the west have a rodeo for a week at some time during the summer - kind of like a fair - but Cody, Wyoming, has one every night during the summer.

Also, camping in Yellowstone usually requires a reservation.

- Kate

Gee...the tips keep coming in! Great stuff, and so many votes for the Blue Ridge Parkway that I definitely can't ignore that part. It looks like a nice area to spent some time in, so I'll work out an alternative. Like I said, the route that I have now is just a work in progress and I'll refine it based upon the great input I get here.

I'm still not sure about the right time to go. Normally, I go on holidays around September because it's nice and quit. Now I go for 3 months, so I have to find a timeframe that's not going to take me from blizzard to heatstroke in one week...and while I know I can't avoid rain now and then, I don't want to go in the rainy season for a given area. Any thoughts on that?

Any tips for paper maps? ....

Hi Mike -

PM your mailing address to me and I'll send ya a Rand McNally Road Atlas - a must for every trip, even if it's just to plan. I'll put some notes on the pages of areas that I'd go to. It would be shame, as others have said, to miss the Grand Canyon, Moab Utah and other areas that you'll be close to.

The atlas all 50 states and Canuck Provinces in it - all you'd need.

Eric

edit: check out the free info that you can get from State Tourism boards as well. Most have websites and you'll get info on what festivals are being held and what to expect at them. They'll send you lots of info and many now have downloadable stuff on their sites.
Here's a link to New Mexico's for example: http://www.newmexico.org/

Another thought: When my friends from Germany visited, they very much wanted to see a rodeo. Many towns in the west have a rodeo for a week at some time during the summer - kind of like a fair - but Cody, Wyoming, has one every night during the summer.
Very good suggestion! I'd like to visit things like that, the things that are part of the American culture. When I was in NY 2 years ago, I went to a baseball game. The NY Mets vs Washington Diplomats (Mets won!). I tried to get tickets for the Yankees, but that was sold out already. A rodeo is something I'd like to see, and since I'm a race fan, a Indycar or Nascar race would be super!

I'll also try to visit places where the early North American settlers came, because there were a lot of Dutch people among them. I saw windmills everywhere in ornaments in NY when I was there. The Dutch were among the people that first relocated to North America, so it's nice to see what became of that heritage.

PM your mailing address to me and I'll send ya a Rand McNally Road Atlas - a must for every trip, even if it's just to plan. I'll put some notes on the pages of areas that I'd go to. It would be shame, as others have said, to miss the Grand Canyon, Moab Utah and other areas that you'll be close to.
I'd like your notes, but are you sure you'd want to send that RM to The Netherlands? I know them, as my friend with whom I went to the US in 2000 had one. I think you can buy them over here too.
It's a very kind offer!

I'd like your notes, but are you sure you'd want to send that RM to The Netherlands? I know them, as my friend with whom I went to the US in 2000 had one. I think you can buy them over here too.
It's a very kind offer!

No problem - I'd be happy to send ya one with the roads that I like highlighted on it. Easier to do than post a boatload of directions on here. I'll also add some cd's of pictures from the areas on the maps - that way you can see what the areas look like.

Some examples...

Western Coolrado / eastern Utah...
IMG_0005Large.jpg

IMG_0020Large.jpg

Utah is probably my favorite State to ride in. No crowds, great views and good riding...
IMG_0098Large.jpg

IMG_0083Large.jpg

Bryce Canyon ...
IMG_0162Large.jpg

IMG_0172Large.jpg

Grand Canyon from last summer...
IMG_0269Large.jpg

IMG_0251Large.jpg

Monument Valley (Kayenta, AZ)...
IMG_0313Large.jpg

No problem - I'd be happy to send ya one with the roads that I like highlighted on it. Easier to do than post a boatload of directions on here. I'll also add some cd's of pictures from the areas on the maps - that way you can see what the areas look like.
Yep, you're right. Marking a road on the map is easier. Great that you want to do that! The pictures you show are exactly the reason why I want to go to the US! I've seen those images on National Geographic and Travel Channel and I want to see it for myself. And instead of going to one place for a couple of weeks, I might as well go for a couple of months and take more time to see the greatest things (knowing that I'll still miss a lot). But the places I go to, I want to see properly.
My brother went to the US twice and one time he did it in a touring car with a group and they saw exactly nothing of everything. That's a waste of money...

So...this is going to be an epic trip for me. I can see myself doing a round the world one day...if I only have the guts to quit my job, sell the house and say goodbye to everything... ;)

OK, hereÔÇÖre some more suggestions:

Going from Duluth to the Badlands in South Dakota, I would go west to Wahpaton, North Dakota, then either take ND 11 or SD 10 west. This area is far more interesting than the interstate and can be quite beautiful (if you like open land). Either go to Mobridge and then south on SD 63 or take US 83 south. (I found the land west of the Missouri River less interesting.) This route will take a bit longer than the interstate but you will see more of the Great Plains than the cookie-cutter parts along the interstate.

I donÔÇÖt know if you like mountain riding, but Colorado has paved roads over 20 passes above 10,000 feet. You can string them together and ride them in three days if you push and are lucky with the traffic. YouÔÇÖll see a lot more, though, if you take 4 or 5 days. ThereÔÇÖs quite a variety and will take you to some old mining towns and some trendy rich-person playgrounds and some remote farming communities and other kinds of places.

I agree that there is a lot to see in Utah ÔÇô mostly in the east and south. It is a wonderful area to ride. Arches, near Moab is very interesting. Utah route 12 from Torrey to Bryce is a fun and interesting road. However, just north of the Great Salt Lake is Golden Spike National Historic Site, where they finished the first continental railroad (working form the east and the west). There are full-sized replicas of the two engines, which they bring out at mid-day. ItÔÇÖs in the middle of nowhere, but I found it very interesting. But thatÔÇÖs getting you pretty far from your original route.

And if you are going to go to a lot of US National Parks, it may be worthwhile to buy an annual pass for $80. (Yellowstone is $20 on a motorcycle ÔÇô good for 7 days.) Look at www.nps.gov.

ThereÔÇÖs a lot to see and a lot of great roads to ride. YouÔÇÖll never be able see everything or ride everywhere in 90 days. Your original route looks like a good variety, although I think you will find riding from Miami to Delaware tedious if you stick to the coastline.

(And I just re-read your first post. :blush Going north first is a good idea if you donÔÇÖt start until July. We can get snow in the Rockies starting the beginning of September, and perhaps by then the south will have cooled a little.)

- Kate

Back