• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Insoles

montec

Hi All,

I'm looking for insight and opinions on replacement insoles for a pair of Red Wing Motorcycle boots (Model 970 10" Pull-On).

I've used the boots daily for many years and have worn out more than a few sets of insoles. The problem that I have is that I haven't really found a replacement that I really like. I've identified several attributes that don't work well for me, but nothing that truly stands out as a winner.

Anyway, I'm hoping that some of you can offer additional thoughts, insight and opinions before I start my search for the next pair.

Thanks,
Monte

Some of the things that I've learned . . .

1) Most of the gel/foam replacements conduct temperature really well. It's not bad in the summer, but can be a real pain in the winter in Minnesota. Your feet stay cold most of the day.

2) Work boot type insoles generally have a fabric covering that helps with the cold temperatures, but they generally are not the most comfortable.

3) The insoles with hard plastic sleeves to "help align your foot" do not work for me as I end up with sore feet from walking on the edges of the sleeve.

I use them;

I have to use insoles for comfort and my results are this; I am using the gel type, from Dr Schol's/Walmart specials at 10$ and they have been working well for my Combat Touring boots. I am not exposed to cold as you are in Minnesota. The Good Feet Store sells special insoles for a pricey 200$ per fit and guaranteed for life at this price. Its a chain foot store out West, unknown if you have this store in your region. I have heard great stories of those with these inserts, but a LOT of money for my liking. I'm getting older at 58 and find my feet more important as I get older and likely to spend more keeping them happy! HOW does anyone keep warm feet in Minnesota at those minus zero temps??? Your Summers are really nice, but you can keep the Winter. Randy

Thanks for the info.

I've tried a few of the offerings from Dr Scholl's. They're comfortable enough, its the temperature that works against them.

I generally ride until the roads get "unsafe" so commuting to work with temps in the teens/twenties is not uncommon. Not to mention the time spent outside with the kids and/or clearing the driveway and such.

I've been using the Redwind workboot (Redbeds) insoles as my "fall back". I can get them locally for around $15 US. They work for the temperatures, but have the plastic alignment sleeve which I surgically remove. With Dr Scholls available in the $10 US range and the Redbeds for $15, my frugal side works against me. It's hard to justify spending a lot more on a specialty insole without some experience with the product. I'm willing to spend more - I just don't want to throw them away because they don't work for me.

I'm currently considering Superfeet Green. They're a US made product that have received good reviews with the outdoor/hiking/snowboarding crowd.

I know what my experiences have been in finding the right fit. But I presume that there are other factors to consider, so all insight and opinions are welcome.

As for keeping warm in Minnesota, you'd be suprised at how you adapt to the environment. I'm a transplant from Kentucky and had the same thought when I moved here, but after a few years your blood thickens and it's not such a big deal.

I suggest you look at the insoles from the very store you got your Red Wing boots.

I have high arches and have found NOTHING that even comes close to helping me, other than the insoles my - now deceased - podietrist used to make for me.

Last week, I had to buy a new pair of dress shoes. I wear Floreshiems. The Red Wing Store here in Clovis sells them. While there I saw the insoles from Red Wing. Bought a pair of the high arches. They're moldable - in the oven at 200 degrees for 5 minutes or so and then in the shoes with your foot. In my case, right out of the box they were great for my tennis shoes.

During the hard freeze we had last week, I noticed my feet were no where near as cold as they were with the Superfeet Greens - which were better than any up to last week - but really didn't do diddly for me.

+1 for Superfeet brand. {shop around online for your best deal}

Granted I purchased the Yellow for my hockey skates. Yellow does not provide cushioning but takes up minimal space in the boot. They are holding up great. I would imagine the reviews of the other versions are spot on from my experience with the ones I purchased.

I searched high and low for good insoles for my Combat Touring Boots, I finally in desperation used the insoles from a somewhat worn pair of Asics running shoes - eureka, it worked great!

Go to a "running shoe store" online if you want quality, or places like Campmor that cater to the hiker crowd- then look online for price if youre poor like me... the dept store versions don't take any use and cost more in the long run.

+2 on Superfeet. Pricey but the best I've found. Once high arches that became low arches after a few decades of hiking. Green Superfeet have been my choice for support the last 15 years or so.

My research on the exciting topic of insoles has led me to numerous footware forums. Among the discussions of foam types and all the other attributes that make one better than the other (kinda like oil threads), it comes down to what works for you.

Based on my criteria, I keep coming back to the Superfeet Green or the Red Wing Moldable. They both seem to offer above average comfort, last a reasonable amout of time under similar wear conditions and are in the same price range ($40-$50 US)

I'll be checking these two out in person as time permits.

Thanks for the insight and opinions.

Monte

Back