• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

1972 Black Cutlass Convertible 455ci

Picture 4082.jpg
Picture 4081.jpg
Was over at Powerhouse Motors the other day. Saw this cool Olds Cutlass.

Cutlass SX

Picture 4083.jpg
Picture 4084.jpg
Big block engine, 370HP stump pulling torque. Power convertible topannd power everything else. Perfect for me. Just need to buy a middle east country to get enough oil and gas to move it around. :)

From around '75 to '85 the Olds Cutlass was the number selling car model in Memphis and the mid south area. Just so's ya know. Yes it's true and it was only place in America where that was true. :thumb

Our first New as in not previously owned car, 1983 Cutlass. Loved that car and loved getting to break it in. Nothing like your first New car smell.

Nothing like your first new car. '83 Olds Cutlass and new car smell, yes. The only car I bought new was a '79 Mercury Cougar XR7, Pretty nice car. But it wasn't a Cutlass Supreme. :)

View attachment 59314
Leo finally got serious, and built this bike which was unbeatable in class back in the '80's IDBA. Leo won many awards with this bike, at the bottom his rider Allen Mueller signed. Allen held the #1 plate for a couple of years, a great honor. Back in this time frame Leo was probably the most famous name in British bike racing circles. Triumph motorcycles return was still a long way off.

Back in the 70's Leo Goff was having a fair amount of success with his Norton drag bike. The weak link was the transmission. There was no way the stock tranny could be modified to handle drag racing. Ron was hanging with Leo at the time. Got his scale out, did a little rough measuring. Leo, I can take a Z1 Kawasaki tranny, turn it around up side down and machine up some pieces and connect it to that old Norton engine lump.That's your solution. Ron did it and the drag bike was a total success. I like giving shout outs to Ron. Some people talk and some people do. Ron does some of the most impossible jobs and makes it look easy. A Kawasaki transmission in a old Norton drag bike. :thumb:thumb

I take it back. The only thing old on the bike was the old Norton engine from the late 60's. Allen Mueller the rider built the form for the streamlined body. Eddie Wilbanks welded up the tubular frame. Ron Wiginton did the tanny. This was probably the early 80's. I'll talk to Ron and get the correct dates. A mind is a terrible thing to lose; even a feeble one like mine. :)

Ron-VW Engine Build / BMW Head fixture

Ron called. Come by and check out the VW engine build and the BMW head fixture.
Picture 4115.jpg
Picture 4116.jpg
Picture 4117.jpg
Ron said getting those air cooling tins fitted up was a real problem.

Ron had never built a VW engine before. He had two to build. A totally stock one and the more complex bored and stroked. He picked the hard one first, now all the rest will be easy. He bought 2 books to help during the build.
Picture 4131.jpg
Picture 4132.jpg
Ron said you better already be an engine builder. Those books will get you a blown up engine if ya don't have a lot of experience.
Ron knows his way around an engine building shop. :thumb

Bella Little German Shephard

When Bella sees Ron working on VW's and BMW's, she's all hands/paws on deck. Their from the Fatherland.
Picture 4136.jpg
Picture 4122.jpg

Those old VW engines were something to marvel at- really. Had lots of fun in the old VW Beetles.
OM

Those old VW engines were something to marvel at- really. Had lots of fun in the old VW Beetles.
OM
Back in the mid 60's rode around in a Beetle a buddy of mine had in Hot Springs, Ar.. A long ago girlfriend had on in the early 70's. Several more buddies had them in the 70's. I never knew what to make of them. Odd. Now I appreciate them. Go figure.:)

BMW Head Fixture Mockup

Picture 4142.jpg
Picture 4138.jpg
Picture 4145.jpg
Just getting the fixture setup for doing head work. When we get it set up properly, we'll be able to do both heads at once. Looks like it's going to work just fine. I'm kinda getting excited. Yea!

Back