• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

I plan to run my bagger mainly as a solo ride, but I'm also planning to be able to to run a pillion seat to accomodate a passenger as needed. I have a 2nd Teutontic QSL or a /2 style passenger Pagusa springer for the passenger. I want to be able to change up the looks of this bike as needed. I have the large Wixom touring trunk and a smaller nameless trunk I wil l also be able to run to fit the ride situation. Mix and match as it were. I'm also running the OEM airhead windshield set, which is attach by just 2 crown nuts. This also lends the bike to a quick change in looks. That in the wind look. Having said that, with all the bugs we have in the flat farm land of east Arkansas, Ya know that bugs in your teeth biker look. I may not remove the windshield that much.

Ye Old Bike Club meeting

Club is having it's monthly meeting tonight. They meet the 1st Thur. of every month. The geto gather usually starts about 5:30 to 6:00. Casual meeting among members and friends. Bubba's Ale House & Grille. 7041 Hiway 64, Bartlett, Tn. Time to ride.

The Old Bike Club meeting was it's usual success; about 25 at the meeting. Lots of biker fellowship; good to see the parking lot full of bikes. Someone rode a old Vespa the other nite. I was admiring it and then went back into Bubba's. Looked out the window and they were ridden off; never knew who rode it. I have an old Vespa and was wanting to talk to him. Maybe next month.

Danny Crittendon's obituary was finally in the local paper. Danny was killed riding his new bike home in Fairhope, Al., Aug. 20. Danny leaves his beloved wife Kathy and one son Jonathon and a daughter Jennifer Young. Visitation will be 12:30 pm and service at 2:30 pm. Tues., August 30 at Memorial Park Funeral Home on Park Av. Memphis Tn. 901 767 8930.

Just received a couple of E-mails. Fairhope Al. Police Department have recently arrested Anthony Christopher Doss for DWI manslaughter in the death of my good friend Danny Crittenden Aug. 20, 2011. It's a class B felony. If convicted he faces 2-20 years incarceration. It won't being Danny back, but at least his family will probabbly get some small satifaction that that person is at least off the streets and can't kill some one else.

Sultana The Exhibit starts today

If your in the Memphis/ Midsouth area the Sultana Exhibit starts today in Marion, Arkansas. 2895 Highway 77. At the corner of Judge Smith Dr. , by the railroad tracks. I got the oppurtunity to look in at the exhibit yesterday. If your a Civil War , history in general, or horrific disaster buff ; this stop is for you. Easy 5 minutes off I 55 and 10 minutes if you get lost. The exhibit will run 10- 5 Monday- Sat. 1-5 on Sunday. From today thru March 25. More info 870 739 6041

Was on my to the exhibit and the mail lady stopped. I had talked to her previosly about my wrinkled mangled MOA News. She handed me March's copy. It was bent and mangled. But readable. She was embarressed to hand it to me. She had mentioned to her supervisors. Just the way it is. Well that's the new norm and I accept it for what it is. Went on to the exhibit and had a enjoyable look see. The exhibit is kinda small, but I think worth it to see. Back home waitin for a freight load for a new adventure on the road.

Ride Eat Meet Camp

The BMW RAMS are having their March metting at the Pickwick Lake TVA Campground Sat. March 17. This is the site of their Return to Shiloh Rally in the Fall. Lunch at noon and the meeting about 1:30. They are planning a camp cookout and have made plans for an alternate eating site at the Botel in case of rain. If your starting to get cabin fever, this could be a good time to get out and ride. The RAMS are havin quite a group discussion with emails on all the updates on camping equipment and old stories about their long ago camping experiences. Very insightful and funny. Feel free to get out and join the RAMS at the cookout meeting and campout. The '12 riding season is here.

Naturally Beemers March meeting

NBA is having it's annual meeting Sat. March 17 at 12:00 noon in Morrilton Ar. at Yesterday's Restaurant. Lunch and a meeting. South off I 40, Hiway 95/ Oak St. About 4 blocks south on the east side of Oak St. . All riders welcome to come and visit or join and be a part of a great club.

The NBA is having it's March meeting Sat. the 17th. Time to get those plans worked out for the rally at it's new site across the river. I've come up with a rally slogan. Since 'Best Rally by a Dam Site' is taken, how about 'Best Dam by a Rally Site'. Probably not. :stick

Just got back home from Mesquite, Tx. trip. Yea, I'm gettin older. For adventure I spent my time in two bookstores. Half Price Books in Mesquite and Rockwall. I usually pruse the Civil War history and automotive/motorcycle sections. Picked up 2 Civil War books. 'Thunder Along The Mississippi' The River Battles that Split the Confederacy by Jack D. Coombe; which I purchased at the Mesquite store and 'Sultana' The Worst Maritime Disaster in American History by Alan Huffman purchased at the Rockwall branch. Since my hometown of Marion is having the Sultana The Exhibit, I thought I would get more familiar with it. I've also been interested in the Mississippi River campaign and I hope the Coombe book fills in some of the less discussed aspects of that campaign. I didn't find any books on motorcycles that I wanted. Most were overview books on Harley's or all motorcycles in general. Got plenty of those, allready.

My buddy Ron bought a used R90/6 and has spent a year getting it running and he's pretty close to riding it. A few days ago he talked about riding it to Ms. to a RAMS getogather. I asked him if he had a BMW tool kit, No. Replacement tubes, No. BMW owners's manual, No. Air pump, No. Tool box, no. He wasn't ready to ride. I explained that you really needed all those things to be ready to ride and be self sufficiant and take care of your own problems on the rode. I fixxed him up a loaner tool kit. He's now aware of it and has plans to rectify the situation. I learned all those things the hard way and have my own game plan to take care of common riding poblems.

Just Pouting

:cry::)mad My basketball team lost last night in the NCAA tournament, my AR. BMW club is havin a meeting today only 175 miles to the west and my local BMW club is having a meeting and campout this weekend 150 miles to the east. I can't go to either. Guess I'll go out to the garage and try to do something constructive.

Made a freight run up to Mt. Pleasant in Izard County. Then back down to my home town of Batesville. Did a little Civil War looking and site seein. Got my Ar. Civil War passbook stamped at Jacksonport. Plckedup a few city and county maps along the way. Will try to find some better back roads to ride my bike. Not easy as I've just about traveled all those roads in east Ar.. Good weather, saw lots of bikes, but no Beemers.

Little Sunday ride.

Finally got to ride yesterday. Got home from church and put the bike battery on charge. Aired up tires, checked the oil, had lunch. Pushed the '71 R50 out the garage door. Pushed the button and she fired up. Felt good out riding. Gotta freashen this bike up when I got some time. Some of the instrument lights don't work. One of the center stand springs is broken and gone. One of the throttle cables excelerates the engine when turned to far. Twist grip needs lubed. Some more things need addressing. Got my mind back to enjoying the ride. Running about 60-65mph down the I-40/I-55 corridor in West Memphis, I was all smiles. All the bikes were passing me; Harley's, crotch rockets, Gold Wings. I had the best bike on the rode, in my mind. Got passed by a big dresser then the traffic kind of tighten up, a little nefty handling and riding skills and I moved throught the traffic tieup and darted ahead of the big bike. In downtown Memphis the big bike caught back up and passed me. They were smiling as they passed, the passenger gave me a thumbs up. I'm sure they were impressed with my deft handling and rider skills. Went to a local biker bar and had a cold one. Seen some old friends. Sitten on the patio I just kept lookin at my bike, in total satisfaction. Time to give the bike some much needed attention; get the list started.

Just got back from a freight run to and from Monroe, La.. Did a little Civil War site seein. Went to a battle field in Searcy, Ar., Whitney's Lane battlefield. Lake Village Ar. Ditch Bayou battlefield. St. Charles Ar. land and naval battlefield. Arkansas Post battlefield. Got my Ar. Civil War passbook stamped at 2 sites in Lake Village, Ar. Arkansas Post. and Helena,Ar.. The weather was perfect for bike riding. Saw hundreds of bikes on the rode, no BMW's. Just got a call from Spencer over at the hanger, their working on the KLR. Will go over, observe and learn.

Had a good working visit over at the hanger. Rick and Spencer were hard at it on the KLR. They changed the sproket ratio to get more top end at lower rpm. Sproket has bigger diam. than stock and I thought BMW was the only bike that had clearance problems with changing out aftermarket parts and upgrades. They found out the hard way that they needed a rotor holder wrench. Special tool offset to fit. West Memphis has a new Kawasaki dealer for 6 months. Went down and found out that they hadn't got any special tools from Kaw. as of yet. I thought only BMW dealers got such treatment. They got the special tool ordered aftermarket for way less than the factory tool. Will receive it Monday. Since they were at a stopping point on the Kawasaki, they moved on to Rick's '07 1200GS. They removed the headlight housing and installed a new housing cover that was designed to hold the protective headlight cover. Kindoff a complex changeout to get the new cover installed. They made quick work of it and it was a nifty upgrade. The lens protecter is a pop in pop out affair. Neat. They are making good progress on their bikes. Felt good to be around a process where good things get done and progress is made.

Sunday Apr. 1 Ride

The Olde Bike Club is having a ride tomorrow mourning. Meet at Circle K at the corner of Austin Peay and Covington Pike in Memphis. Ride is to Shelby Forrest to the General Store for lunch. 7729 Benjestown Rd., which is at the corner of Bluff Rd.; all riders welcome. I will do my own ride and meet them there. Any one who wants to ride with me, give me a call. I'm going to ride my R50/5. Hyabusa's need not apply. :nono :D Weather forecast for Sunday clear with a high of 87'. Time to ride. Just teasin about the Hyabusa. I will slow down as not to embarrass you. :groovy

Just got back. Had a great time/ride. Totally whipped. Easy relaxed ride over, perfect day for a ride. A group, read young, wanted to do some more riding after the General Store stop, but wern't familiar with the area. That left me leading those cafe racer kids. I kicked it up a notch to try to keep it interesting for them. They loved the ride I took them on. At the Haystack Bar and Grill, we finally got a break. Fianally gave my rear tire thread a close look, yep time for a new tire, thread is squaring off. My riding was off all day. I believe some of it was that was my first really good ride of the season and I hate to say it, but I think my age is starting to show. They took off , so I able to resume my relaxed ride. Stopped in Memphis to see a couple of buddies, bike related. Glad to get home, like I said I'm whipped but smiling.

Old Biker Buddies Poppin Up

Few weeks ago during the Sultana Exhibit, ran into an old BMWRAMS member. John Shelton and his wife. They are Civil War reenactors. Totally decked out in Rebel uniform and hoop skirts. Had a nice visit. This mourning in the Memphis Commercial Appeal another old ridin buddy, Earl Davidson, popped up in a newspaper article, Healthy Living. He had been an active member of the old Motorcycle Classics Bike Club. Earl was allways tall, slim, and handsome like me. Earl stated he looked in the mirror and saw a 230 pound pear shaped 62 year old man. Says he hit the gym, got a personal trainer, and started eating healthy. Lost 40 lbs. After ridin with those kids yeaterday, I think I need to hit the gym.

Back