• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Wayne Jackson Grammy Award

Sittin here at the house waitin to get a load, saw the local newspaper, Times, on the lawn. Front page leadin news article was Wayne Jackson on his trumpet. Will receive Grammy's Lifetime Achievement Award Feb. 11. Who's Wayne Jackson? Along with Andrew Love, they were the Memphis Horns. Part of the house band for Stax Records in Memphis, Tn.. Wayne recorded, toured, played with Elvis, Issac Hays, the Dobbie Brothers, Neil Diamond, U2, dozens of others. No telling how much music we've grown up with that we heard him and Andrew, on sax, the sound of their horn section was a part of our life. Not to shabby, they will now be apart of a very select and small group to get a Lifetime Grammy. Wayne was a '59 graduate of West Memphis High School. West Memphis is the sister city to my town of Marion. Probabably after our BMW motorcycles, American music is one of the great things that bind us together. Congratulations Wayne on a life time of achievement. Barry

Super Bowl Party

Bob and Janet Kelly are again sponsoring their annual Superbowl party. Sunday Feb. 5 4:00 Kickoff 5:30. 9469 Plantation Way Lane, Germantown, Tn. 38139 in Dogwood Grove near Houston High School. 901 212 4632. The BMW RAMS and Ye Olde Bike Club members I know are invited as well as pertinent friends and bikers. Pot luck dinner. Feel free to bring a dish. This party/dinner has been a big hit with us the last few years. Thx Bob and Janet. :dance:thumb:wave

Comin up this Sunday. Looking forward to seein all my Buds in the OBC and RAMS at the party, football, adult beverages, food, good comraderie. Feel free to come and join us. :eat:drink:lurk:hug

Just got a call, looks like we're havin our usual impromtu tech session at the airport hanger in West Memphis. Guess I'll go over and see what 's on the shop menu today. There's just about nothin this group wont take on as a challenge. :brow

Had great time at the tech session. Nothin better than watchin two guys workin in unison to acheive a goal. Servicing a Kawa. KLR 650; big job was rebuilding the front forks. When I got there, the forks had been disasembled and the reassembly was in process. Bike was put back together with some more service points attended to, then a quick ride to check everything out. All good. Afternoon well spent. Thx guys for the chance to set in. :thumb

Had great time at the tech session. Nothin better than watchin two guys workin in unison to acheive a goal. Servicing a Kawa. KLR 650; big job was rebuilding the front forks. When I got there, the forks had been disasembled and the reassembly was in process. Bike was put back together with some more service points attended to, then a quick ride to check everything out. All good. Afternoon well spent. Thx guys for the chance to set in. :thumb

Next weeks tentative schedule is Friday again. The R75/5 is on the schedule this week. Need to finish up the annual service and reinstall the overhauled speedo. One member of the group thinks we will go sans fairing this year and turn it back into a bare bike, as it only gets ridden during the good weather times of the year. Also need to pull the forward support bracket for the skid plate off of the GS so we can machine a titanium replacement with clearance for a longer oil filter (Mobil M1-102).

Last edited:
Yes by all means /5's are best bare and naked. One of the most beautiful and unique parts of that model is the cool head lite bucket. Needs to be seen and not hidden. I hope I'm home and can make the tech session.

Super Bowl Party was super. Much food, football and friendship. Couldn't have been better. At halftime Bob took us back to the garage and fired up his '61 Buick with 425 CI Nailhead. Had that very authoritative nice V8 sound. We were probably the only Super Bowl party to get the Nailhead halftime treatment.

Rams meeting this Saturday, Feb. 11. Pig N Whistle Restaurant. 6084 Kerr-Rosemark Rd. just north of Millington, Tn. 12:00 lunch and 1:00 meeting. Tab and Lisa Gilliham are the hosts. P&W is about 1/4 of a mile east off Hwy 51. Excellent BBQ. Elvis liked their Q, that's good enough for me. :dance

Sultana Exhibit

Just picked up the flyer for the exhibit. I saw one big error from what I noted earlier. Dates on flyer is March 6- March25. More info at 870 739 6041. I'm hoping that some BMW riders who frequently ride through West Memphis/Marion on I40/55 will stop in for visit. Short quick stop and get some American history. :usa

Had lunch at Pancho's Mexican restaurant yesterday. Pancho's is a long time West Memphis eatery , been there over 40 years. 3600 E. Broadway. at the corner of N. Club Rd./MLK. Any way, on that corner is a historical marker about The Plantation Inn, which occupied the site Pancho's is on now. It tells the history of Music at the Plantation Inn , early Blues and Rock n Roll niteclub and the connection to American music in the Mid South, to Beale St. and Stax Records in Memphis. I know a lot of riders stop in at the truck stops and fuel up on the I 40/55 connection there and ride on. Just thought that some of you music history buffs might want to add to your knowlege of the history of American music. Pancho's is also a pretty good Mex restaurant to have a bite to eat. It's less than 5 minutes off I 40/55.

Rolled in last nite from my run to Denton. Cold down in Tejas, saw very few bikes on the rode. Skirted around the north side of Dallas, rolled thru downtown Greenville. Stopped in at the downtown City Bristo/Landon Winery for lunch. Had a scumcious meal, lasagna and a salad. Wanted to try some of their endless selection of wine.:drink Nope, I couldn't, I was driven. Beautiful lady behind the bar, beautiful ladies sitten on both sides of me at the bar. Yep, My kinda place. Walked past the bust of Audy Murphy in the courthouse square, and tipped my hat. He allways got the gal in them westerns, I never do. Sure hated to leave, but I had to ramble north back to Ark..

Naturally Beemers of Arkansas new rally site.

The Naturally Beemers have lost their rally site. The Corps of Engineers is closing Sequoya Park. The decision has been made to move the rally across the river to Cherokee Park. This park is on the north side of Arkansas River next to the city of Morrilton. South of 64 Hwy to Route 113 (Church St.) South on Old Cherokee Rd. to Cherokee Park. Rally date is May 18, 19, 20.. See Yall at the rally.

Naturally Beemers Annual Meeting

NBA is having it's annual meeting Sat. March 17 at 12:00 noon in Morrilton Ar. at Yesterday's Restaurant. Lunch and a meeting. South off I 40, Hiway 95/ Oak St. About 4 blocks south on the east side of Oak St. . All riders welcome to come and visit or join and be a part of a great club.

R75/5 rehab

Next weeks tentative schedule is Friday again. The R75/5 is on the schedule this week. Need to finish up the annual service and reinstall the overhauled speedo. One member of the group thinks we will go sans fairing this year and turn it back into a bare bike, as it only gets ridden during the good weather times of the year. Also need to pull the forward support bracket for the skid plate off of the GS so we can machine a titanium replacement with clearance for a longer oil filter (Mobil M1-102).

I got over to the hanger a little late last Friday, as they allready had the fairing off the bike. They were working on turn signals and wiring the headlight bucket. The wiring in the bucket was a total rats nest. I'm no electricion, they have their hands full with that job. They will get it sorted out; I'm just a spectator on that. The speedo intrument is absolutely georgous, was done by Palo Alto. They made good progress on the turn signals.

tech session at the house, maybe

No tech session at the hanger today, one of the main members of the tech group is out of commission today. The tech group has a membership of two, that does not include me. I'm kind of a semi working, helper, observer, supporter, cheerleader. If I don't get a freight load today, tomorrow I'll have my own at the house tech session and mount my front wheel and and new tire on my R1100RS. Then probably a complete brake fluid bleed. Gotta run down a semi working, helper, observer, supporter, cheerleader to give me a hand. :thumb

BMW RAMS tech session in progress

BMW RAMS tech session is currently in progress at the Spencer Bennet estate down in Nesbit, Ms. Rose Ann just sent a e mail alert for all to come and join the session. 30 cup coffee pot is brewing at top speed. More refreshments on hand. Address 4201 Windermere Dr. Nesbit, Ms. Spencer's cell # 901 626 2831 for more info. This is a hard working bunch of tech's, they will give you a hand in working on your bike.

My buddy Ron repoerted on the RAMS tech session. He got there in time for the lunch dinner break. Had his picture made for RAMs directory. He was praised for bringing his '75 R90 in the back of his old El Camino. The old Chevy got as much attention as the bike. He learned how to adjust his clutch. Ron says he had a big time with his new fellow club members, He reported that is was the largest attended tech session ever. Wish I could have gone, just wasn't doable. I did have my own tech session in my shop. On the '94 R1100RS tire/wheel was mounted back to the bike. Battery was rermoved and put on a low charge. I had dated the battery with a Sharpie. 3-8-03, maybe gettin close to time to get a new battery. It's a sealed Westco.
I'm determined to get my '74 R90 back on the road this year. Taking a break fom the RS, I turned my attention to the '74. The engine is on display in my kitchen mounted in a engine stand. I have the Breil oil cast spacer attached above the oil pan. Got some wreches from the shop and removed it. Just like I remembered. the top mating surface has some slight deterioration and needs some attention. Gotta make the decision about either patching it or machining it out, welding it up and remachining. Also need to check the true flatness of the insert. Time to get the precision straight edge out for the check.

I've been getting some e mails all about the Rams tech session. Everyone is expressing that is was a great success and were impressed with how well it was run. Quite a few bikes were worked on with much success. I wasn't able to attend. I just know that if Spencer and Rick are involved, it was going to be a success. I only wish I could have been there; well there's allways the next one.

Had my share of success on my one man tech session. I'm going to run Wixom saddle bags on my R90 bagger project. I've got a set of nerf bars for the bags and will probably run a solo springer seat. One of the mount points for the bars is the rear foot peg mount. Will probably not run the reat pegs to clean up the look. That leaves the mount point as a serrated tang, which is not easy to attach to. I've got several old frames in my pile of junk; ones been wreaked. Pulled it out and decided that the serrated rear peg mounts were the solution. Found the proper round hole saw, and with my whole saw I had those serrated tangs out in short order. Just have to chuck those peices up in a lathe and face of the back side. Mount the serrated ends together and now I have a smooth surfave to mount my bars.
Next I fliipped the engine up side down and inspected the 14 tapped holes on the bottom of the engine block. Ran a new 6m x1 tap into all of them and cleaned them out. All looked good, I won't have to Tme Sert em. Next I addressed the Brieloil cooler, which had some cavities in the mating surface. Found some epoxy putty at my auto parts house. Good up to 500 degrees. Went through the prep process and applied it. Let it set for a couple of hours to harden. Took a fine file and worked it down flush. Checked all surfaces with my straight edge. I'm good to go. Ready for my next project on my Classic Bavarian Bagger.

Back