• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Classic Bavarian Bagger

Ron came by and delivered the the rear wheel hub with the old final splined drive ring removed. Thax, Ron. With the hub removed and all the internal bearing pieces removed, time to bead blast. I gotta plan for that and a plan for installing the new rivets. The pace of this is just glacial, it seems.

Classic Bavarian Bagger

The rear hub needed bead blasted clean, so I called one of my goto guys, Marshall; who has a bead blaster. Come on over; so I was off to Memphis on a mission. He had it set up when I got there. I started blasting, stop and check the progress, then blast somemore. About the time I got it lookin good, Marshall and Jane invited me in for some dinner. After vitals, Marshall checked out my work, gave his approval. Finally, a little, progress. Thanked my friends for the use of the shop, one fine home cooked meal and I was off to the crib. Well, for one day my project was moving at twice glacial speed.

Had a slight set back. Put the hub in the dishwasher and ran it through a clean cycle. Removed the hub, clean but the aluminum has now turned dark, almost a gun metal gray. Not good. Gave it some thought. It finally came to me. Did the same thing over 10 years ago on another project, a /5 project with the same result. I'm startin to forget the results of past projects. :nono Good thing I got a backup plan. Gotta buddy with a ultrasonic metal cleaner. The hub will then be coated with the proper shade of aluminum color to match the original oem look. Good to have some back up when ya need it. I'm tryin to build this bike to a very nice show quality and meet my expectations. :brow

I hope to deliver the the wheel hubs over to my tech this weekend to be finished. sigh. Hope to pick up my springer seat mount. I need to final check that one more time. If it's all good; maybe start the deconstruction of the rolling chassis. Gotta stay positive. Lots to do, front forks, steering head, rear swing arm. I've done this before and I can do it again. Yeahah.

Friday Hanger Tech. day

Looks like the guys are meetin over at the hanger around 10:00am tomorrow. Think I'll go over and lend a hand. Probabbly take my rear hub over for show and tell. They'll get a kick out of it. I'm a big boy I can take it. Think I'll spring for pizza at lunch, maybe a little comraderie will get me going. :thumb

Been home, mostly. I have a full time job at home now being a health care provider. Missed the Jan. club meeting last weekend and hanger day yesterday. Will try to get the wheels over to a buddy to finish assemby. The rear hubb gets new spokes and a rim along with the wheel bearings fitted. The front hubb gets new wheel bearings only. Then the wheel assembly's of both will be trued. Hopefully some forward movement on the CBB project. Gene, one of the guys from the Wendesday Bikes on Beale St. came by the other day. He picked up my old Shwinn Contenintal II, which he will tune up for me to ride. Looks like bicycle riding locally will be most of my 2 wheel riding for a while.

It's funny 30years ago I was riding my Schwinn Contenintal II all over Crittenden County in East Ar.. Then I got my first motorcycle, a '71 R50/5. And I learned to ride it in this same neighborhood, before I ventured out on the hiway. Been riding that same /5 all this fall with a smile on my face. Now I'm just as excited about getting my Schwinn back and riding it in the same neighborhood. The more things change, the more things stay the same.

Over 30 years ago a buddy showed up at one of our meetups on a pristeen '70 black R50/5 and it was absolutley perfect. then it seemed like everytime I saw him he was on that bike. He had got it from his dad. I checked it out and looked it all over. It was the coolest thing I ever saw. Finally one day he told me that his dad had another one just like it , a '71 R50/5. And to top it off he wanted me to buy it and we'd ride together. No way, I didn't have a death wish. But, everytime I saw he was having the time of his life.

The Passion Continues

Anyway we struck a deal on the bike; bought it site unseen. He brought it home a couple of weeks later. Went over and picked it up. It was alsolutely perfect. 724 miles on the od, it was almost like a brand new motorcycle lost in a time machine. My buddy Ron, the machinist, had a buddy who was the eurobike guru and he tuned it up for me. Took it home and started to ride. Kept'd on riding and never looked back. My other two hobbies of fishing and bike rideing slowly fell by the wayside. Motorcycling became my new passion and hasn't let up. Local riding, led to longer rides, campouts, local club activities, national clubs, national rallies, maintenence, tuneups, rebuilds, a riding lifestyle. More motorcycles acquired and even longer rides and adventures. The passion continues. :brow

Moved on to '74 R90/6, then a '87 K100RT, '94 R1100RS, '90 KLR650. Probably 200,000 plus miles. Still got all of them. Been riding the /5 the most recently. Now I'm excited about getting my Schwinn back and riding it around in the same neighborhood where it all started over 30 years ago. Any way I need the excersize.

Gene delivered the bicycle Friday. I'm so sentimental, I was in total amazement. I can't believe it. Hopefully will get a chance to ride it in a couple of days. I owe you big time, Gene. Went on a ride today with my nephew, Sean Phillips. Me on my '71 R50/5, he on his '06 Yamaha TW200. We had a great time, 700cc of pure fun. Road over to Tennessee to Shelby Forrest. Stopped in for lunch at the Shelby Forrest Store. Rode by the old Shake Rag, then over to to Old Millington Winery. Share a bottle of Delta Blush, then rode by the Charles Lindbergh Monument. Back to home to the crib, we were whipped. I think we only rode about 70 miles total. Sometimes the short local rides are the best. :thumb

Took my nephew, Sean over to the Friday hanger tech session. Kinda cold, I really couldn't get going good. mostly watched Rick finish up the Triumph. Rick informed me that that I needed to to bring one of my project bikes out and get started. It's either the R1100RS or the KLR650. Both need some work and I'm a little conflicked. Decisions, decisions.

Gotta call from a buddy of mine, kind of a hermit. Drove over with my nephew and picked him up and went to a local dive for adult beverages. Nice to get out and see some old friends. Got back to my buddies house and got the invite to go to the garage and see his collection. '16 Indian Powerplus, '22 Indian Powerplus with full suspension, '36 Indian Four, up side down, 1st year Indian Chief, forgot the year, Several other Chief's and Scouts and a couple of 60's Harley's. Nice visit back to time long gone. My nephew was quite impressed, just as I am whenever I get the chance to visit. Thanks ol buddy for the chance to step back in time.

Missing in Action

Been missing some rides, eats and meets. Wednesday tech sessions, Old Bike Club Superbowl party, Rams club meetings, etc. I really miss seeing all the members and friends. Bad weather and pressing family needs seem to be the reasons. Hopefully will get going in the Spring.

Tech Session Cancelled

The Friday hanger tech session has been cancelled for today. Illness to one tech's family member is one reason and 20 degree temps is another. Ice, Sleet, Freezing Rain, Oh My! The weather sure isn't cooperating for a decent tech day. Cabin fever is starting to set in. Bah Humbug. :hungover:banghead

Back