• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Do a web search on Jimmy Hart, Andy Kaufman, David Letterman, Jerry 'the King' Lawler. Cheap TV entertainment at it's best. The 3 Stooges didn't have anything on these guys. I'm still laughing, and I think it's been over 30 years ago. :thumb

Tops BBQ

Picture 845.jpg
Call my buddy Marshall about the trip to Tops and got no pics of the main dish. He said try the cheeseburger, it's really good. Went back and did the deal. Pretty good burger.
Picture 844.jpg
A nice family next to me had a plate of ribs and let me take a pic. Thx guys.

Von Dutch K2 Allard

Picture 858.jpg
Got to do the 50 year anniversary reenactment of the Watkins Glen Road Race back in 1998. On the real track in town and out in the county. By accident we were allowed to be on the tract with the real cars that actually did the races back in the late 40's and early 50's. This car is a modified '52 Allard K2 painted by the famous artist Von Dutch. Known for painting customized cars and motorcycles. Leo Goff at the wheel and me navigating. If I remember right, Leo had built and installed a pretty hot 5.0 liter HO engine. Happy Days, like Richie and Fonsie. :thumb

Back in the day; quite a few guys, those with some bucks would buy Allards and race them in the Grand Prix circuit. They could get on the track with the best from Europe. In the hands of a very capable driver they were almost competitive. Fairly powerful American V8 power combined with primitive frame, brakes and tires, etc. Really a accident waiting to happen or a rolling deathtrap. Today, they still race them on the vintage circuit. Current rules still require the same primitive frame, brakes, and tires etc. Today, most drivers have modified those period engines to produce at least twice the HP they had back 50-60 years ago. Usually more than twice as powerful. Death traps fore sure. Our team raced and rallied 4 or 5 different Allards and we did it as safely as was possible. Back in the 90's racing at Moroso track in West Palm Beach, Fl. we watched a guy racing an Allard in practice, mostly he was out of control and dangerous. We warned him. He said not to worry, he could handle it.

Picture 874.jpg
Picture 875.jpg
We warned our driver to stay clear of him. That afternoon's practice session he hit the retainer wall at about 100 mph, killed on impact. They helicoptered him out. We warned him. I don't think anyone else warned or cautioned him. I'm glad we ran a safe racing operation. But Allards make a cool car to take to vintage car night. Thx for the memories Leo, lots of good safe memories of cars and bikes.

This crash that killed the driver was the most extreme thing I seen in 10 years of vintage car racing. Most Of the incidents involved running off the track. If you hit another car while racing, they had a pretty stiff penalty which consisted of suspension for a certain amount of races and that generally kept the crashes to a minimum. Seen a few wheels come off cars. A lot of these wheels where original wire wheels. some were totally rusted out. One car lost a wheel and crashed going off the track. They towed the car over to an impound lot for inspection by the safety inspectors. Leo asked those guys about it, they answered in an ambiguous fashion. Leo took me over for our own inspection. On exam, Leo said I see the problem. They had tack welded two of the major components in a haphazard fashion. Totally easy to see and completely unsafe for racing or even street use. Leo made me very aware of safety in car and motorcycle racing. Leo was very aware of the minimum safety requirements, and was very aware that a lot of race teams that did not meet those minimum safety standards of the sanctioning body. Thx Leo for your training and in insight in racing. Now back to motorcycles. :)

Chicago Mini Bike Commuter

Picture 3604.jpg
Picture 3605.jpg
Was in Chicago the other day. This guy was getting thru bumper to bumper traffic just fine. :thumb:dance

Rams Rally

Remember the Rams Rally the weekend of September 30th - October 2nd at Parker's Crossroads RV Park & Campground, Parker's Crossroads, TN. We expect to have a great rally this year and welcome all members of the BMW community to attend. Here is a list of some of the highlights of the rally:

Friday and Saturday nights tent camping, a pancake breakfast on Saturday and Sunday, Saturday evening dinner, endless coffee, lemonade and ice water at rally central, self-guided motorcycle tours, live music, and the legendary RAMS Door Prizes.

Rally pins for the first 150 registered.
RAMS Swap Meet on Friday & Saturday.
Restrooms with hot showers plus port-a-potties on site.
Ice and food items for sale at the on-site camp store.
Campfires are allowed in designated fire rings and firewood will be provided.
Mileage and age awards for BMW motorcycles ridden to the Rally.

Interested? Check out further information at http://bmwrams.com/the-rams-rally Hope to see you there, Barry.[/QUOTE]

RAMS Rally 2016

Kinda sorta got to attend a little of the rally. I took a load of freight over to Smyrna, Tn. Getting close to rally time, thought about taking off and go on over to the rally. Decided I really needed to work rather than rally. Friday, yesterday picked up a load in Lebanon, Tn for delivery that evening in Canton, Ms.. Routing was by I-40 west to Memphis, then I-55 south to Canton, Ms.. Freight was scheduled to Nissan warehouse not direct to the assembly plant. I calculated I had about an hour to play with and could do a short visit to the rally. So I did. :thumb
Picture 3714.jpg
Picture 3713.jpg
Picture 3716.jpg
I'm well known at the Visitor Center and battlefield welcome center. Stopped in a handed them a stack of Sultana brochures. They commented that the rally was growing in attendance. It was very helpful to the local economy. Yes, I replied. :thumb

Door prizes

Picture 3700.jpg
Picture 3701.jpg
Wonder who won the R9T?:scratch
Spenser in the cage, and Mike Dale with drink. Where's Barbara. I see Mike everywhere. What's up with that?

Back