• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Rode over and back for a long day trip. Met the classmates at the lunch at the Comfort Inn and Suites. Walked in to the room to meet my classmates. Did not recognise a single one. There were about 40 there. None of them recognised me. I walked over to the table with the '71 annual and put my finger on my class picture. OMG's were the most often used phaseology. Goodtime was had by all. That was all I was going to attend, but pictures were going to be taken at the evening party, so I stayed over. Rode around the town for a couple of hours. 40 years does bring alot of changes. I found myself wantng it be '71 again in my home town. Old buildings gone, new ones in their place. Roads changed and rerouted. Still there was enough of the old to satisfy my taste for the past. Back over to the Class dinner and dance for the pictures. I learned that 14 had passed away from a class 119. The band was made up of 2 of the class mates and a couple of guys from the class 1year before and 1 year after. they were excellent. They could play on Beale St. in Memphis. Left the party early and headed the K100 home. The bike ran great all day long. PS A Pioneer Never Quits

My little trip over to the class reunion was a 300 mile one day round trip over and back. 2 class events , a trip out to the county to see my cousin, and about a 2 hour ride around Batesville to see what was old and what's new. I was more wore out than I thought, as I didn't even get out and ride yesterday. I guess having a 40 year class reunion is telling me something. Looking over the 20/25 guys there, I thought only 2 or 3 at most looked in better shape than me. I was the only one on a motorcycle.:thumb

Since I didn't ride yesterday, I took the time to do a work on my R100 heads. I had allready degreased them and bead blasted them. I didn't like their look so I gave them to my friend Ron to glass bead them in a different media in another machine. When I got them back, I still didn't like the look, they were better but still not good enough. I had one more process in line any way. I had an old stainless steel pan, so one at a time I boiled them to get the media out of the pores, then rinsed them off and blow dried them. Better, the heads were clean but still not to my liking. Plan B has now been put in place. :whistle

My little trip over to the class reunion was a 300 mile one day round trip over and back. 2 class events , a trip out to the county to see my cousin, and about a 2 hour ride around Batesville to see what was old and what's new. I was more wore out than I thought, as I didn't even get out and ride yesterday. I guess having a 40 year class reunion is telling me something. Looking over the 20/25 guys there, I thought only 4 or 5 at most looked in better shape than me. I was the only one on a motorcycle.:thumb

Saddened me to see that Dan Weldon was killed racing this last weekend. I have a little connction to this, kinda. I was on a vintage car racing team back in the '90's. Our team finished the 1955 Keck Streamliner built for Bill Vukovitch for the '55 Indianapolis 500. The car was not finish in time and he raced another Indy car. He was killed in that race. I believe he had won the Indy 500 '53 and '54. We raced this car twice back in the '90's at Road America and Road Atlanta. Bill Vukovitch also raced Lincoln's inthe early 50's in the Mexican Panamerica Road Race. Those cars where also highly successful. Our team (Leo Goff) built a Lincoln Capri replica of those cars. This car sctually won it's class back in the late 90's in modern enactment of the Panamerican Road Race. Many racers killed in these races. I think you can get to the Indy site of the streamliner with this. 1955-Year of the Streamliner. Red #4 car.

Car/motorcycle racing can/is dangerous business. We were racing back in the '90's at Moroso race track in SVRA. We took 2 cars. I believe The Lincoln and 'Ol Yaller #7. We raced a lot of different cars. We raced several Allards and were very familiar with with, their good and bad points. Cars were sports cars of the '50 and a lot of rich guys of that era would buy and race them . They would buy the car hop it up a little and race the factory teams. Then the professionals would get them and a do little more hop up on them and they had some success. Any way we knew thewekness of trhe cars. Limited brakes and weak handling. They mostly ran 50's America V8's engones. Back then most of those engines were 100 to 200 HP. May a little more. Like I said limited brakes , suspension, tires. Most vintage race organizations try to keep the cars kinda original, mandating period brakes, wheel size., and period race tires. A racer brought a Allard J2X to race. He had built up the period engine where it was now 300/400 HP. during the practice session we watched him loose control of the car several times and run off the track. It was to much car for him. We saw him after the practice session when he walked past our pit. We told him that we seen him run off the track and cautioned him that it was best that he slow down. He kinda laughed and curtly told us he could handle it. We told our driver to stay away from him. In the afternoon practice session he lost control and hit the wall at at over 100 mph. Killed on impact. We were probably the only people who cautioned him. Racing is dangerous business even for professional racers.

Our race team raced a lot of different vintage cars, some real some replicas. If your interested youcan do a web search on these people and cars. Max Balchowsky, as a racer , car builder and movie filmography. His cars were known as Ol' Yallers. I think he had 12 he built. 01-12. He was also fairly famous in setting up race scenes for movies. Herbie, Lovebug, Elvis Viva Los Vegas. Bullit, with Steve McQueen. Many more. I knew him personally. Sydney Allard, Allard race cars, J2X's. We had a J2X that was powered by a Arden V8 designed by Zora Arkas Duntov. Corvette fame. Bill Stroppe, Carrera Panamericana 50's car rally. Lincolns 50's race cars. We raced a repica, built by Leo Goff. Stroppe was the Lincoln race team manager back in the early 50's. Bill was also the team manager for the desert race teams with Ford trucks and Bronco's. Our driver was one of the team members with the trucks back in the early '70's. We found his truck he raced back in the '80's, bought and restored back to close to what it was from his era as the driver. Stroppe was also Bill Vukovith's team manager in Mexico. all these's people make good riding for vintage racing. Our Ol Yaller was #7, and the Lincoln we raced was a '53. We raced and rallied many times. Road America, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, Moroso, Laguna Seca, Copper State 1000, Colorado Grand, New England 1000, The modern LaCarrea Americana, some of these multiple times.

I mispoke when I said Max had 12 race cars built. More precisely, what I should have said was Max built all these cars himself in his garage, helped mainly by his wife. Most were pretty rough as he built them out of his limited pocket book. They were all different as he used what was available. That's where the Ol' Yaller name came in. They were a mongrel of a car, but were competitors on the track and won their fair share of races. Max was probably the most successful home built road race car builder of all time. I felt it was an honour to have got to know him; he was one fine gentleman.

I see the 'Ol Yaller VII is up for sell at auction. I could barely recognize it as the car we raced. It's now a overrestored beauty queen of a race car. How can it be 'Ol Yaller, the mongrel. Times change.

I'm not up to postin pics. I think these 2 sites will get you to 2 of the cars we raced in the '90's. Do a web search for Balchowsky 4 and 1955-The Year of the Streamliner The Official Blog. We raced 'Ol Yaller #7 and the red #4 Keck Streamliner. We raced and rallied probably 20 different cars back in the 1990's.

I pick up a lot of Arkansas brocheres here and there in ar. There are several brocheres out on motorcycle riding in the Ozarks. One of them is Ride Eureka Cruise the Ozarks. Issue #2 Autumn 2011. Gotta a cool Ducati on the front. Mag is geared to motorcyclist and bikers. On page 4 their is an add for Pancakes Family Restaurant. Great restaurant to try while your in Eureka Springs. Owned and operated by Otto and Gail Ising charter member and past president of the Naturally Beemers of Ar. Highly recommend it for a good meal. Hwy 62/East Van Buran 479 253 6015 you might want to call first some time in Dec they shut down for the winter. Good stop for breakfast, lunch dinner.

Just got back from a freight run. Marion to Dexter, Mo.; Paducah, Ky.; Nashville, Tn.; Smithville,Tn.; back to Nashville then home. Going into Paducah I saw the biggest buck I've seen in a long time cross the road in front of me. Looked more like an elk than a deer. Saw one BMW on the road for the whole trip, at least 100 of everything else. Mostly Harley's. I hope to get to ride this weekend. I need some ride and barley therapy.

The passing of Larry Chaille.

A very good friend of mine, Larry Chaille passed away a few days ago. Larry was an active member of the BMW RAMS and The Old Bike Club. Larry's passion was motorcycles and motorcycle riding. Larry rode to the BMW national this year in Pa. He wanted me to ride with him, but due to work and money issues it wasn't possible for me to go. I had talked to him about the possibility of us riding together to the '12 national in Sedalia. Larry and I were regulars in attending the Bikes on Beale on Wendesday Nights in Memphis, the last few years. We allways met at Superior BBQ, and this weekly event was life saver for me. This Sunday 11/13/11 a memorial service will be held at Sheby Forrest entrance at the Ranger Station. Meet at 12:30 then move to an available day site for the service. This will last 1/2 to 1 hour. The plan is to finish the service at the Shelby Forrest Store. My good friend is gone and it hasn't really hit me yet. Gone but not forgotten. My regards to his beautiful daughter, Kelly. God Bless, Barry.

I was on the road working and missed the memorial service, for Larry. I did receive some pictures that were taken. About 30 bikes and 50 people made it. Looks like it was a very good and fitting service. About 1:00 Sunday I was in Birmingham, Al. I stopped an had my own service for Larry in concert with the real memorial servise. My last act was to remove Larry's cell number from my cell phone and say goodbye. Hopefully, I'll get to do a toast to Larry in Sedalia at the National.

Made a run from the house down to Larado, Tx.. On the way back home,stopped in at the Half Price Book Stores in Mesquite and Rockwall. I'm a old school book guy. Bought a book on the early history of Suzuki, 'Suzuki Production Motorcycles 1952-1980' by Mick Walker. Back in the early '70's my brother had a T500 then a GT750. The old pots and pans Water Buffalo. He rode it home from Florida to Arkansas back in '73. He rode me around and it was quite exhilerating. It would be 15 years before I bought my first bike a '71 R50/5. I've been looking for a front tire for my R1100RS. My buddy Don Quales, said Al's Cycle Shop in North Little Rock had good read cheaper prices on tires. Called from Texarkana, Ar., did a deal on a Michelin V-Pilot. Pick it up about 4:00 yeaterday. Got a quality tire for under $100. I thought it was a good deal. Now I gotta mount and balance it.

Since I mentioned Al's Cycle Center in North Little Rock, I thought I should also give the tel number. 501 758 4800 4801 MacArthur Dr. North Little Rock 72118 This place is definently old school and my kinda place.

Arkansas is limited on BMW motorcycle service, Central Arkansas lost it's BMW dealer a couple of years ago. If you have a problem with your bike one place you can probably get help is Jett Cycle Sports. 4008 Macaurthur Dr. North little Rock. 72118 501 753 9448. They are down the road from Al's Cycle Center. Anthony Jett was the assistant manager at the old BMW dealer. He has experience with BMW's.

Gotta little off track; now back to ride, eat, meet. BMW RAMS are having their Christmas party Sat., Dec.10, 2011. Spencer and Rose-Ann Bennentt have graciously made their home available for the meeting and party. 4201 Windermere Dr. Nesbitt, Ms.. Party starts at 6:00, dinner, 7:00, short meeting to follow. Rams supply the entre and feel free to to bring a side dish to share. If your looking for comraderie to be a part of a BMW motorcycle club, now is the time to join. More info on this on the BMW RAMS web site, look under the newsletters, Nov. 2011 issue. Spencer and Rose-Ann have opened their home many times for RAMS events.

Gotta ride eat and meet tonight. Ye Old Bike Club is havin their monthly getogather. 6:30 pm at Bubba's Ale House & Grill. 7041 Stage Rd. Barlett. Everyone is invited to come. This club is also havin their Christmass party Dec. 17 6:30 pm Coletta's Restaurant 2850 Appling Rd. So if your lookin for a place to ride and socialize this is it. All riders welcome. :groovy

Just got back from a freight run over to South Carolina, Georgia, Tennesse. After I got the load delivered, did a little siteseeing. Since I delivered in Gaffney, I drove on up to the North Carolina on I-85 to the N.C. welcome center and got some Civil War broushures,then back to the S.C. welcome center and did the same there. After all things motorcycling, history and the Civil War are a hobby of mine. Spent the night back in Gaffney, then it was off to Spartanburg to the BMW automobile and the Zentrum. This was probably my 3rd or 4th visit. The history of BMW has allways facinated me. Ed Culbersons bike, Amigo, was still there. A women was there looking at it rather intently. I told her, that I got the chance to meet him and had bought his book 20 years ago. It was at Bulow campground during bike week. She said she was going to get the book for her husband. Ed autographed mine and the book is a prized possesion. It's allways neat for me to stop here and see all these great bikes and cars.
Next it was off to TouringSport Bmw in Greenville. Had a nice visit. I wanted to buy something, CHEAP. Finally found a newer style BMW Police Motors cap, that I could afford. I've only got about 20 ball caps, I guess I got room for one more.
Picked up a load in Cleveland, Ga. at 4:00 in the mourning headed to Dechard, Tn. Driving thru them rugged mountains, I had deer on my mind. About 30 miles into the run I T-boned a big buck. I think it was a 8 point and he was big. The truck shuddered when I hit him. Pulled over as soon as I found a good spot. I hit him square on the middle of the front bumper. The center plastic grill was demolished and that was it. No radiator damage, no damage to the headlites,very little, I mean miniscule body damage . 400,000+ miles not bad. Thank you Lord.

Back