• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Well, the thrill of getting my new tire is starting to wear off and I'm now waiting with much anticipation to get my parts for the K100 project. I'm worse than a 5 year old waiting on Christmas. I'm just a kid who never grew up. Santa does drive a UPS truck, doesn't he?

Well, the thrill of getting my new tire is starting to wear off and I'm now waiting with much anticipation to get my parts for the K100 project. I'm worse than a 5 year old waiting on Christmas. I'm just a kid who never grew up. Santa does drive a UPS truck, doesn't he?

I know he does, otherwise my grandchildren wouldn't get any Christmas gifts. :laugh

Classic Bavarian Bagger

10-4 on Santa, Sibud. Got my December issue of the MOANEWS. I usually get my issue in the middle of said month, good. My springer seat for the R90 is now ready for me to go and see. Their going to mount it on a R90 and I'm going to sit on the bike for a check out. If it meets my approval the metal framework will be powder coated black. I'm really excited. The next step is getting the seat pan covered in some shade of antique brown leather. Did I mention that I'm getting excited. :blah

Went over and checked out the new seat hardware. Looks good. :clap It's off getting powdercoated. One neat thing is no holes will have to be drilled in the frame or any other modifications to the frame. The seat fixture will use existing holes in frame for mounting. Thanks much Leo, excellent job. Will now get more serious about getting the seat recovered. For now it's back to working on the wheels. I'm all smiles. :D

Classic Bavarian Bagger

I had to relate a somewhat amussing incident over at the seat fitting Friday. My buddy was going to pull out a /6 for me to sit on with the new seat mount. The bike that was pulled out was a '75 R90S. We had to take off the pan and side covers to attach the seat fixture. The interesting part was that the bike belongs to a buddy of mine who got me started riding bikes back in the mid 80's. He rode a '70 R50/5 then moved up to a couple of R90/6's. He talked me into buying his Dad's '71 R50/5 back in '85. That's the bike I got running this last summer with help from the West Memphis hanger crew and have been riding this Fall. After riding with that buddy for about a year back in the day, I bought the '74 R90/6 I'm restoring now. I probably put about 100,000 miles on this R90 just riding with him. After a few years we both moved on to K100RT's. Anyway it brought back some pretty crazy and fond memories of my rides back then with him, and that I survived them. Glad I got to keep my R90 and am going to get the chance to give it another whirl, hopefully early this Spring in '14.

Made a freight run up to beautiful sunny balmy E. St. Louis last week. Stopped in Grass Roots, had a nice visit. Picked up a front intertube for the R90 CBB project. Forgot to get rubber wheel strips. Went over to the Victory dealer in W Memphis. They had every size but 18/19; wouldn't you know? The ice storm has slowed everything down. The Fri. hanger tech day was cancelled. Try to get some work done this week on the bike.

I got my free T and beer.

Rode down to Daytona back in 2002. BMW of Daytona sponcered a short ride that year. Reach The Beach Daytona Ride Week One of the deals was they were going to give out some free t shirts and I beleive supply some free beer. Did the group ride then joined the the group to get the free T's. They didn't have that many; they thru a few out then handed most to their buddies. Most everyone then headed over to get the free beer. I walked over to the table and saw 1 T on the floor. Picked it up, xl to boot. Neat. Walked over and got my free beer.

Classic Bavarian Bagger

We gotta little independent bike shop across I-55 from me, Freedom Cycle. Called about the wheel strips; 18&19 inch. They Had'em. Drove over and got them, in fact got a spare set. Makin a little progress. One small correction. The strips were sized as fitting both 18 and 19 inch wheels. I took both size rims and the strips fit both. The little things drive ya nuts.

RAMS Christmas party 2013

Fixxen to head over to attend the Rams Christmas party at Spencer's & Rose Ann's down in Ms. There will be much comraderie and fellowship. BMW motorcycles being the tie that binds us together.

Thx Spencer & Rose-Anne for hosting a great club Christmas party. Thax to all the Rams members for a great 2013 and an even better 2014 to come.

Ride Eat Meet

The Old Bike Club is having their '13 Christmas party Fri. Dec. 20 at Coletta's Italian Restaurant 2850 Appling Rd. Bartlett, Tn. 6:00PM Their famous dish is BBQ Pizza. All riders welcome. Restaurant located just off Hiway 64/Stage Rd.

My buddy, JD called and said he was headed to West Memphis to sell 100 lbs of pecans then he wanted to go to the hanger and see what we had goin on. Met up and I sprung for lunch at Lenny's. Headed over to the hanger and introduced him to the gang. I dived into working on my Classic Bavarian Bagger project, front wheel bearings. He wondered off and finally came back. Y'all are into those BMW ain't ya. Yep, pretty much. Sorry, we ain't got no Indian Scouts, Chief's, up side down 4's, or full fendered 4's like you. We ride ,live, breathe, Beemers. He laughed, Y'all got me inspired, I'm headin home to work on one my bikes. Go for it Dude, you only live once. Now back to those wheel bearings.

New Years Day Polar Bear Ride

The Olde Bike Club is putting on the ride and a lot of the Rams will participate. Meet at the Shell Gas Station/Circle K 8140 HWY64; the corner of Germantown Rd. meet at 10:00 side stands up at 10:20 Ride to Shelby Forrest. Return ride to Grand Pacific Buffet for lunch around noon. All riders welcome. Let's ride.

The Polar Bear Ride was a great success with about 40 polar bears on the ride. I rode over to the Shelby Forrest Store and hooked up with the ride. My R50/5 was in top form; it was the oldest BMW of the ride. Now that I think about it, it was most likely the oldest bike of the ride. Perfect day for a ride, could not have been better. Great buffet at the Grand Pacific. 2014 is off to a good start.

Classic Bavarian Bagger

Years ago I noticed my splines on the rear hub was to far gone to just lube so I decided to machine out the rivets and install new ones. I think I had a problem with that plan. Ended up drilling and reaming out the rivets and using SS 1/4 cap bolts to mount the splined hub to the wheel. No problem with that set up in 30,000 miles of riding. For my CCB project I wanted a more stock look. My final drive has been rebuilt with new splines so I need the new slined hub on the wheel to match. I don't have access to a milling machine, so I took the rear wheel hub over to the best machinist in Memphis. He machined of both ends of all the rivets then tried to drive the rivet out with a hammer and punch. No luck. Heated the rivet and hub with a torch. Still, no luck. Took a break, we'll regroup and try something else.

R50/5 Did Me Proud

A lot of group rides sooner or later turn into little mini races. Every one wants to see what they got compared to other riders and bikes. 20-25 years ago I was at Bulow campground Daytona bike week. I watched three couples rode in on different bikes all pulling trailers or campers. One on a full dress HD Ultra Classic, one a 6 cylinder Goldwing, the last one on a BMW K1100LT. Those three couples were standing around having a confab. The guys were talking about how thay had got into a roll on contest on I-95 heading south to Daytona. When it was all said and done The BMW had walked off from the other two. Those old dudes had a little mini race. Back on the Polar Bear Ride, when the riders came by the Store I knew they were headed to Watkins Av. headed south to Memphis. I got outfitted and took a side rode that dumped me into the middle of the pack on Watkins. That stretch is a 5 mile straight away 4 lane divided hiway with no stop signs and lights. They were riding in formation stretched out a couple of miles on the inside lane. I was in the outside lane and accelerating pretty good, never got much over 70mph. Most of those guys are cafe racer types and that was like waving a read flag. I maxed out to red line about 6/7 thousand RPM. The little 500 was giving all it had and I was all smiles. Several of them passed me on 51 Hiway headin south. Giving me a thumbs up as they passed. At the lunch several came by and said they loved it when I passed'em and added a little pep to the ride. The R50/5 did me proud.

ASU Go Daddy Bowl Champs

Had to give a shout out to my alma mater Arkansas State University Red Wolves winning the '14 Go Daddy Bowl in Mobile, Al.. They have gone to it 3 years in a row and won the last two. ASU has had it's own problems the last few years in that the last 3 coaches have left to bigger schools and havn't stuck around for the bowl. One was Gus Malzahn, now at Auburn in tonight's championship game. Ball State was a worthy foe and didn't deserve to lose. :thumb PS Will be rooting for the home state boy, Gus Malzahn to help Auburn win tonight. :groovy

Somehow I missed this trick play in the GoDaddy Bowl. Ran by ASU and called Hide the Miget. See it on youtube under that name. It worked for a 20+ yard pickup. Cute and sneaky. :brow

Back