Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Another Grand tour we started back in the day was The Six Corners Tour of Ar. Again, I was off an riding. This grand tour I road as a single trip. My plan was to ride the 6 corners in a clock wise motion, with the first stop being the Southeast corner. It was well over 100 degrees when I left and arrived in Southeast Ar.. Rode across south Ar. in one of the hottest rides I've ever been on. The temps were in the 103-106 degree range. Got the 2 corners done south and west of Texarkana. Headed north to to the northwest corner. Got it , then crossed the Missouri border and went to the BMW Hillbilly Rally. Had a good time, what I remember most was sitting waist deep in the Big Elk River, gulping down cold beer and cooling off from the heat. Sittin in that river was heaven after the hell of riden in Ar.. After the rally headed east and got the 2 northeast corners and then rode home. At a Naturally Beemer Fall campout I was given a plaque for completing that ride, Nice. I think I was the 3rd or 4th to complete that grand tour. Can't believe it's been over 20 years ago. Back then I had a head full of beautiful reddish brown hair. Now I have , well lets just say I still have hair.

Back in the late 80's, early 90's I was running those tours and endless other rides, rallies, and runs on an old rag of a '74 R90/6. Those rides were allways done on a wing and a prayer. Got that bike apart now and slowly and I mean slowly gettin it back together. When done it will be the bike as I allways envisioned as a class act. Hope to have it done for the 25 year anniversary of our Naturally Beemer club, 2013.

Thumbs up Bikes on Beale

Rode the R50 over to Bikes on Beale last night. New rear tire inspired a more confident ride. Got there a little late. The usual gang out in front of Superior BBQ and the Big $5 Beer Stand. Emily poured me a big Bud , I pulled out a Backwoods cigar and I was good to go. I was parked next to Pat's Norton and Peter's Indian Four. Marshall and Chris were there on a couple of /2's. Bikes coming, bikes going, bikes sittin, bikes a showin. As usual Pat's Norton and Peter's Four were gettin all the attention. That Four was gettin it's picture taken every time some one walked by it. The usual gang just stood around impromto conversin, catchin up and soakin up the whole ambiance of the evening. Dennis DeAngelo, rode up on a '73 Eldorado; my personal favorite bike of the night. Just reminds me so much of the style I'm workin toward on my '74 R90. Hopefully I'll get the chance to show Dennis all the back roads north of Memphis along the river. Maybe a visit to the Winery is in order. My little R50 pured like a kitten all the way back to the house.

Gotta freight run over to Ft Smith, Ar.. After I got the load delivered, I went site seein. Downtown to Ft. Smith to Miss Laurie's Ft. Smith Welcome center. Rode my R90/6 here for my first Naturally Beemer event back in 1988. A little 580 mile day ride just to meet some of the other new members for lunch. Can't believe it's been 24 years ago. Went over and toured old Fort Smith the pioneer history of the area. Got my Civil War passbook stamped. Saw the movie posters of True Grit and Hangem High. Both movie's used Ft. Smith as a backdrop. John Wayne and Clint Eastwood, I've watched both movie's many times. Ft. Smith was known as Hell on The Border and the Gallows at the historic site is a true testament to that.

Don Qualls called and wanted me to come to North Little Rock to be at a vintage race bike and vintage racers event, Sunday. Drove over Sunday to Spectators bar and grill. They had about 20 vintage race bikes on display and somewhat more old vintage ex bike racers. Most of the people their were local people to the area and were aquainted with each other. Nice bikes and people. Went out several times to see the street bikes people rode in on. A couple of airheads and a K75. A good variety of bikes, the day was perfect for riding. the whole weekend was perfect for riding and I saw 100's of bikes out and about.

Well I missed Bikes on Beale last Wendesday night. Storming all around, didn't want to get soaked on a 20 mile ride. Missed the Old Bike Club meeting Thursday night, couldn't seem to get going. Seems like most of the Rams have ridden over to the Georgia Mountain Rally and I'll be home this weekend. Maybe I'll ride over to the Winery this weekend, a good bottle of wine to change the attitude.

Gotta freight run, Tuesday night and run it over to Smyrna, Tn. . Wendesday mourning went back to Nashville and went to Bloodworth BMW. Looked around at the nice new bikes. Nothing I could afford. Bought 4 screws to hold down the brake fluid resorvoir top, my '94 R1100Rs. Parts guy, got my name and saw I was from Marion, Ar.. Kinda far to get 4 little screws? Yep, I replied, Gotta do what I gotta do; smiled and left. I'd missed the last couple of Beale Street Bike Nites , so I headed home. Got several calls headin back, are ya gonna be at Bike Nite? Yes. Are you Coming? Yes. Got home, got the R50 out and headed to bike night. Usual big cool crowd. Got my usual spot in front of Superior BBQ. We allways have the coolest collection of bikes. The Coolest of the Cool last nite was a early 80's Honda 450 twin. Met the owner. He had heavily modified the bike into a cafe bobber. Hand made aluminum tank, tail section, seat. endless neat little custom touches all fabricated by him. It was over the top and was stopping passersby who came over to check it out. I heard more than a few people say that this little section of Beale allways had the neatest stretch of best bikes to see. I totally agree.

I need to work. I need a freight run. Just sittin here waitin for a load offer. I want to ride over to Morrilton, Ar. To the Natural State Rally. Just low on funds.
    Well If I don't get a load offer, maybe I can do the scooter ride tomorrow in Shelby County. It's allways a hoot. Gotta enough dough to ride local.

Gotta a load offer to Dayton, Tn. No Ar.. Rally or even the scooter ride this weekend. Maybe ride over to the BMW dealer in Chattanooga, Pandora's after I deliver the load. Don Quales just called and said he was in Morrilton at the rally. Said about 40 had signed in, sure hate to miss it. Maybe next year.

Just got in and I did go by Pandora's BMW in Chattanooga. Really enjoyed my visit. Seemed like a happy place to hang around. They had a lunch buffet going on. They had the K1600GTL they accessorized for the BMW MOA rally give a way this summer on display. Somebodies going to win a heck of a bike. Saw thousands of bike on the road. Need to get something out and ride right now.

Here is a video of the scooter ride I missed. Recorded by the Real Deal Lin Deal. Lin spends more time on one wheel than two. Watch and enjoy, it's a hoot. www.youtube.com/watch?v=btaiT8K2cOk

When your on that site you can see the 2nd video. I think there will be a 3rd video. If you scholl down you can see a video of Lin Neal riding dirt bike at Loretta Lynn's.

Just got thru watching the 3rd installment of the scooter ride. Sure hated that I missed the run. Fixin to get the R50 out and ride over to Beale St. for the weekly Bikes on Beale. Will get to talk to some of those that were on the scooter ride.

Spencer called and they were at the hanger with a Beemer project.
    I was at a good stopping point in yard work and jumped on the R50 and headed over. The project was a '94 K1100RS that had been sitting for some time. Spencer's son had bought it cheap. The resurrection was in process. The usual problems were in the process of being addressed. Fuel and tank problems. Leaking fork seal, Im sure more will appear as the process progresses. He'll have a nice bike when it's all over.

Phillips's in holly springs, ms.