• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding gear

tvgal2000

I love to lurk!
I'm looking for a company that either makes riding gear or does alterations to their gear and I think the name is Motosport - but when I google that name, I get about 1 million hits for all sorts of stuff that is 'motosport' related but isn't the company.

My height would need to be 6'6" in order for pants to fit my waist and it seems to be impossible to find pants that come in different inseams sizes...

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Also look at Olympia. They run long with the idea that they can be easily tailored. You can also call them on the phone to discuss. I've had a great experience with them and I'm on my third set of airglides and also have the AST.

Thanks for all the suggestions - I've got an Aerostich Roadcrafter, but I made the mistake of getting it as a 1 piece...

AZ-J, thanks for the link! Motoport is it exactly! It looks like quality gear. I've heard from women at the women's seminar at the National Rally that it's good gear..

I have an Olympia jacket and really like their stuff but it looks like the pants are mostly ventilated...

Thanks again!

I am confused -- are pants generally too long or too short on you??

I have too much inseam and have a TERRIBLE time finding riding pants long enough. If they're too long, and textile, any tailor worth his/her salt should be able to hem them while keeping the functionality. Leather is a different story...

I haven't kept track of gear companies that do women's "short" but I can tell you RevIt does a decent job with women's "tall" gear.

generally, the pants are too long - hemming only works for certain pants. Side zippers, velcro strap closures at the ankle and reflective material all make for difficulty in hemming. On rare occasion I can find pants that are able to be hemmed but usually it's difficult.

I went down to Motoport this morning and got measured for pants and a jacket. I was VERY impressed. Got a tour of the sewing shop, all the materials, threads, etc. Maybe the most impressive was the "crashed" gear people send back, both the Motoport gear and other brands. He had a Kevlar air mesh jacket (like I ordered) that the medics had cut off a guy.....they went through 3 pairs of scissors to cut through the Kevlar. The motorcyclist only had a broken finger!!! I was very impressed. After seeing all the gear, I was afraid to ride home in my "ordinary gear". Can't wait to get my stuff!!

Pants have been the hardest for me too. 29 inch inseam and fat. You can't alter regular pants enough to get the knee pads in the right place.

Highly recommend going custom.

Motoport

When I ride in anything but my Motoport now I definitely feel unsafe. It is amazing stuff. It's going to feel really stiff when you put it on. That's OK. It will feel heavy. It is. When you ride you will feel none of that you.
Congrats.

body armor?

This thread makes me wonder . . . . Does anyone simply use dirt bike rider's armor over their riding suit/pants or even just jeans to add protection. Since I haven't seen anyone doing that I wonder why. Does it shift? Look weird?

It seems it would allow you to wear anything and still be protected. Anyone out there use them over jeans for touring?

My dirtbike clothes are pretty funny looking, although perhaps not so funny compared to my street riding clothes. :brow

I've ridden on the street in my dirt gear on a dual sport. I feel better protected from impact, but less protected from sliding on asphalt, in the dirt gear. FWIW, I feel the dirt gear is less comfortable than my street gear.

Besides, I would be embarrassed to wear my zebra striped knee/shin guards on tour . . .:blush

When I ride in anything but my Motoport now I definitely feel unsafe. It is amazing stuff. It's going to feel really stiff when you put it on. That's OK. It will feel heavy. It is. When you ride you will feel none of that you.
Congrats.

+1 :thumb

My dirtbike clothes are pretty funny looking, although perhaps not so funny compared to my street riding clothes. :brow

I've ridden on the street in my dirt gear on a dual sport. I feel better protected from impact, but less protected from sliding on asphalt, in the dirt gear. FWIW, I feel the dirt gear is less comfortable than my street gear.

Besides, I would be embarrassed to wear my zebra striped knee/shin guards on tour . . .:blush

Thanks Bullett,
Just wondering, if there was a way to make them protective during a slide and they were aesthetically pleasing it seems like they would be pretty versatile. Is there armour out there that caters to women riders?

Anyone else out there want to chime in?

Thanks Bullett,
Just wondering, if there was a way to make them protective during a slide and they were aesthetically pleasing it seems like they would be pretty versatile. Is there armour out there that caters to women riders?

Anyone else out there want to chime in?

I don't have a lot to offer right now other than to mention one of the women in our Wisconsin club is well known regarding textiles. She will be giving a presentation before our Apr. 1st meeting, about riding gear fabrics and their properties, as it relates to 'get-offs'.
I'll try and post after the meeting.

This thread makes me wonder . . . . Does anyone simply use dirt bike rider's armor over their riding suit/pants or even just jeans to add protection. Since I haven't seen anyone doing that I wonder why. Does it shift? Look weird?

It seems it would allow you to wear anything and still be protected. Anyone out there use them over jeans for touring?

I still default to Aerostich Darien/Roadcrafter for absolute protection from rain as well as abrasion.

Of course, you're not in New ("wet") England, now, are you?

I've been down in an Aerostich, wouldn't want to do that again without!

Back