• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMWplastic panniers vs allumium

The spouses baby GS has the Vario bags on it. They look great but dent easily.

My baby GS has a set of Moto-Sport racks and a pair of Ortlieb soft side bags. tail bag is the BMW one made for the GS.

luggage1.jpg

650ortside.jpg

Never had a problem with leakage, they are lightweight, hold odd sized objects with no problems, no need for 'bag liners'. total cost was about $520. I fell over once with these on, no damage to anything, no scuffs, no scratches.

I just picked up a lightly used set of Jesse bags off the Chain Gang site. If the current glacial ice age that we are experiencing here ever decides to end, I'm gonna try them out.

Happy Trails

If you'll allow a guy to respond here...
I have owned two F650s (Funduro & a Dakar) both with Jesse bags.
For the 650 in particular, I found them too heavy empty to justify the big buck$.

My 1200GS now wears a set of 9" Happy Trails and I have been way happier over the past 2 yrs with their performance wet weather & dry. They get used on the hwy and on a lot of forest roads.

Enjoy the F650!

Hi.

I have had the system cases on my 1100 for a couple years. I just sold them and went with the Happy-Trail Boxes. The main reasons are for the durability, capacity and I REALLY wanted a top loading box. I was getting tired of the parking lot explosion with the side loading boxes.

Happy Trail does seem a bit disorganized. My tracking number just arrived yesterday and they are said to be here Friday. I ordered them on january 31 so you would need to be patient. They put out a good sturday product made in the US.

Greg

look here.

http://www.happy-trail.com/BMW-F650GS-Dakar-G650GS/Aluminum-Panniers-Teton-F650GS-Dakar-G650GS.aspx

Hi.

I have had the system cases on my 1100 for a couple years. I just sold them and went with the Happy-Trail Boxes. The main reasons are for the durability, capacity and I REALLY wanted a top loading box. I was getting tired of the parking lot explosion with the side loading boxes.

Happy Trail does seem a bit disorganized. My tracking number just arrived yesterday and they are said to be here Friday. I ordered them on january 31 so you would need to be patient. They put out a good sturday product made in the US.

Greg

look here.

http://www.happy-trail.com/BMW-F650GS-Dakar-G650GS/Aluminum-Panniers-Teton-F650GS-Dakar-G650GS.aspx
thanks for your imput! I still haven't decided on which aluminum pannier co. to go with. I still have sometime. :dog

kelly

Hi Kelly,
I see you decide to go with alluminiu cases,good choice!!I had the chance to own both the Vario cases and the BMW Allu cases.The alluminium top loading is the way to go for convenience!
Just in case you're interested,I helped out a friend to install some SW-Motech cases on his Honda Varedero,nice looking cases but not of top quality!The alluminium seem thinner than the BMW ones and they had plastic hinges on them that made them feel flimsy.You might want to keep an eye out for these things as you compare prices between different manufacturers.By the way, BMW allu cases are made by Touratech,so you are pretty much getting the same cases,if you compare with the Touratech Zega Pro.Maybe this is all old news to you,hope it helps anyway!

Art.

Day late dollar short, and all...

I have the BMW aluminum (Touratech) panniers. My dealer did a recall and re-gasketing on them.

That being said, I use Kathy's liners which I then drop into a standard red biohazard plastic bag
that I get from work. Aluminum is sensitive to temperature. After an all-day in the rain at
highway speeds, I still get weepage of about 1 measuring cup. I find the extra plastic layer
takes care of it. At the end of the day I just wipe out the wet.
I am careful to see that the bag is folded up above the gasket level, and it is okay.

All day in the rain has always been my bugbear for riding gear anyway. :whistle

Back