• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMWplastic panniers vs allumium

dreams

kiki
Hi, I'm new to BMW motorcycles and touring. I would like some input from experienced rides. What do people prefer and why?
Thanks,
Kelly

Hi, I'm new to BMW motorcycles and touring. I would like some input from experienced rides. What do people prefer and why?
Thanks,
Kelly
Welcome to the forum Kelly. You didn't mention the size/model of the bike. For me, on the F800gs, I went with the plastic Vario cases. Size, function and fit they have worked out well. If I had a GSAdventure I probably would have gone with the aluminum. The only complaint I hear on the aluminum is the grey of the aluminum rubbing off on the contents. HTH Gary

Welcome Kelly. Stop by the Women's forum whenever you can.
I expect you will get various opinions and that's a good thing.

On my GS I got aluminum - actually, the bags that are for the Adventure although I had a standard R1200GS. I got them because I was sure the bike would be on its side sooner or later.

389075856_Kakdf-S.jpg

The only damage in the above was a few scratches on the engine guard and a bit to my pride. :blush The bags weren't even scratched.

Yes, the aluminum will rub off on the contents a bit. I used liners from Kathy's Bags, which protected the contents and made things easier when I got wherever I was going.

- Kate

Yeah, I'm a guy, but I saw the thread title browsing the main page.

962705593_TNoDg-S.jpg

Scratches to cylinder protectors - check
Bruised ego - double check
Scratched plastic cases - check (that's why they make stickers, right).
Adventures to far off places - priceless

On my R1200 GS, I've got Micatech aluminum cases - bombproof! I drop my bike (parking lot speed usually but once at 30mph) and there are very few scratches on them... They've held up very well for all the times I drop the bike (I'm not ashamed of how often that happens - I figured it was a GS so it could take it and it has very well so far!)

my old F650GS single had the BMW alum/plastic cases and they held up pretty well - some scratches and an accidental melted hole when the case wasn't properly attached and rested on the muffler.... but that was my fault not a manufacturing problem. I don't think I dropped that bike more than once or twice.

my first BMW - K75s had plastic cases and they held up well - I dropped that bike only a few times.

bmw panniers vs aluminium

thanks to eveyone who replied. Im new at this and wonder about the how they
compare when it comes to keeping the rain out? i just bought a g650gs 2009
Kelly

Congrats on your new 650, Kelly.

I had the aluminum bags on my '05 650GS. I found them to be hard to expand and not very durable. If you looked at them too hard, they would ding and dent. My solution was Linex. I also Linexed the bags on my 1200GS however, if I had to do it again, I would have gone with the big aluminum boxes on the GSA.

The Linex has made them nearly indestructable. I've dropped both bikes with no scratches or dents. Here are links to two prior threads with pictures.

Linex Thread 650GS

Smurf - color matched linex

I hope you have many (s)miles on you 650GS, Kelly.

I don't know if this applies, since you have a 650, but the GSA bags on my GS never leaked a drop. I rode the bike to Alaska in awful weather, including one full day of torrential rain, and the contents remained perfectly dry. They could get a little tough to open if the temperature and altitude changed - they'd get almost vacuum sealed - but my RT bags do the same thing.

Happy trails!

- Kate

Good:)

I enjoyed your Linex pics and story on that surface material. Great idea! I use Jesse bags on my GSA, as i prefer aluminum. Jesse Bags are surfaced with some kind of paint that does not rub off on interior items stored in the bags. Randy

I have BMW system cases on the R11Sen and am aiming for aluminum panniers for my KLR -- the plastic BMW cases are nice and rugged but they make the ass end of the bike SO WIIIIIIDE and hard to park (not to mention making it impossible to lanesplit while carrying them!).

:stick

Hi Kelly!

I have an '09 F650GS, too. I went with Jesse aluminum bags for several reasons. At the time I purchased, the Jesse's were less expensive and lighter weight than the BMW Vario bags. I liked the way they looked. The Jesse's are painted or finished inside and are not supposed to discolor your stuff.

It is my recollection that the bags I chose are 8" wide and fit close to the bike so they don't make my butt look big. :blush

685118086_aR2Xj-M.jpg

469259430_J4LaC-M.jpg

I like being able to take them off when I want to ride without them.

The plain racks don't look great, but they don't look awful either, IMHO.

467307915_MEKF6-M.jpg

I haven't fallen over on them yet. :clap

The plastic cases on my RT have been very durable, despite 3 0mph drops.

F800riders.org has at least one thread regarding options.http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php/21754-Bags-Panniers-Luggage-For-F800GS

Have fun!

Thanks for your in put on the bags. your bike looks great!
We have relatives in Salt lake city. I was just there for a wedding over thanksgiving. Look forward to returning to do some touring in your beautiful state.

Kelly

+1 on the Jesse Bags. We have three sets mounted and they are the cat's pajamas.

Stay away from the BMW expandable bags. They leak, are a pain to use and dent easily in my experience.

+2 on Jesse's we have them on both bikes and are waterproof and good looking...fit more than one would think!

BMW Plastic Bags: Not remotely sturdy!

Hi Kelly,

Sorry I'm late to this thread, but I've had some experience with this.

I've had the BMW Vario bags on my 2005 R12GS since I bought it in 2005. They're excellent street-use hard bags. Waterproof, keyed to your ignition key for convenience, the right bag will hold a helmet, etc...

BUT, don't buy them if you think your bike will EVER be on the ground. In the summer of 2006 I had a parking lot lay down. I got off the bike on an Austin hotel parking lot after a hot 200 mile ride from Dallas, the last 50 miles of which was in Austin rush hour traffic. I was hot, tired, cranky, not thinking about what I was doing, and I got off the bike without putting the kickstand down. I knew it the moment moment my right foot hit the concrete, but it was too late. All I could do was get in position to lay the bike down as gently as possible, which I did. I laid it down so softly that there wasn't a scratch on it. Not even on the mirrors, hardbags, ... NOTHING. But the hardware inside the left hard bag was bent by virtue of the bike's weight being on it. Only the weight of the bike bent it! As you probably know, the Vario bags can expand from thinner to wider. But since then, the left hard bag has been stuck in the wide mode. Its not been a big deal as I tend to keep them in the wide position anyway, but it is a lesson as to the Vario bags' lack of sturdiness. Imagine what a lay down at ANY speed, or on a bad road would have done. It'd have been demolished.

Fast forward to a month ago. I'm still using the same left hard bag even though it looks a bit uneven with the bent inner hardware. One day I was leaving work and, as I approached my bike in the parking lot, noticed that my left hard bag was partially caved in! Obviously, somebody hit my bike in the parking lot! The car or pick-up nudged the left hard bag almost caving it in. There is no question in my mind that its the result of a VERY slow speed parking lot fender bender. After all, it didn't even move the bike! But the Vario "hard" bag is so messed up that I have it rigged to stay on the bike using zip ties! It won't close easily, and the locking mechanism no longer works. A couple of weekends ago it fell off on a group ride because the mounts are bent!

Suffice it to say I'm in the market for either a new set of hardbags, or a replacement left Vario bag. Of all the aftermarket aluminum bags, my research has sold me on the Micatech Pilots, but since that is a $1,400 pricetag I'm still debating what to do.

But the point is, that the BMW stock plastic bag is not remotely sturdy. If they were priced accordingly it wouldn't be a big deal. But since a new set of Varios with mounts will cost the same or nearly the same as a set of Micatechs or Jesses, then in my opinion there's no reason to get them. Bottom line: if I were buying the bike again today I'd get the aluminum bags.

Hope this helps, and let us know what you do!

Hi Kelly,

Sorry I'm late to this thread, but I've had some experience with this.

I've had the BMW Vario bags on my 2005 R12GS since I bought it in 2005. They're excellent street-use hard bags. Waterproof, keyed to your ignition key for convenience, the right bag will hold a helmet, etc...

BUT, don't buy them if you think your bike will EVER be on the ground. In the summer of 2006 I had a parking lot lay down. I got off the bike on an Austin hotel parking lot after a hot 200 mile ride from Dallas, the last 50 miles of which was in Austin rush hour traffic. I was hot, tired, cranky, not thinking about what I was doing, and I got off the bike without putting the kickstand down. I knew it the moment moment my right foot hit the concrete, but it was too late. All I could do was get in position to lay the bike down as gently as possible, which I did. I laid it down so softly that there wasn't a scratch on it. Not even on the mirrors, hardbags, ... NOTHING. But the hardware inside the left hard bag was bent by virtue of the bike's weight being on it. Only the weight of the bike bent it! As you probably know, the Vario bags can expand from thinner to wider. But since then, the left hard bag has been stuck in the wide mode. Its not been a big deal as I tend to keep them in the wide position anyway, but it is a lesson as to the Vario bags' lack of sturdiness. Imagine what a lay down at ANY speed, or on a bad road would have done. It'd have been demolished.

Fast forward to a month ago. I'm still using the same left hard bag even though it looks a bit uneven with the bent inner hardware. One day I was leaving work and, as I approached my bike in the parking lot, noticed that my left hard bag was partially caved in! Obviously, somebody hit my bike in the parking lot! The car or pick-up nudged the left hard bag almost caving it in. There is no question in my mind that its the result of a VERY slow speed parking lot fender bender. After all, it didn't even move the bike! But the Vario "hard" bag is so messed up that I have it rigged to stay on the bike using zip ties! It won't close easily, and the locking mechanism no longer works. A couple of weekends ago it fell off on a group ride because the mounts are bent!

Suffice it to say I'm in the market for either a new set of hardbags, or a replacement left Vario bag. Of all the aftermarket aluminum bags, my research has sold me on the Micatech Pilots, but since that is a $1,400 pricetag I'm still debating what to do.

But the point is, that the BMW stock plastic bag is not remotely sturdy. If they were priced accordingly it wouldn't be a big deal. But since a new set of Varios with mounts will cost the same or nearly the same as a set of Micatechs or Jesses, then in my opinion there's no reason to get them. Bottom line: if I were buying the bike again today I'd get the aluminum bags.

Hope this helps, and let us know what you do!

Thanks it does!!!

I just saw this thread and found it interesting. I have an R1150R. I have had BMW system cases and a set of JesseÔÇÖs on it at various times. (I buy as needed then sell them so it what is on the market at the time determines what I have. Currently I donÔÇÖt have any). You have received a variety of good advice. Another thing to consider is how you are going to use them in conjunction with other bags on the bike if any.

Side loaders verses top loaders

I took a trip following the Lewis and Clark trail both directions. Used the BMW system cases which are side loading cases which were a great choice for the trip even given I spent a lot of time off road. I was able to get at various gear (stoves for cooking lunch, telescope, field guides etc) easily during the day without packing and unpacking everything. The following year I did and extended trip to the Maritime Provinces with the Jesse bags. I loaded up in the morning and road until I set up camp in the evening. I ate lunches in restaurants and my camera and other things were in my tank bag. Top loaders would have been a PITA on the LC trip where they were great for a variety of reasons on the Canadian adventure.

FWIW: the following is heresy around here. If I were going to plunk down money today for new bags I would by soft sided bags, but that is another discussion.

Back