• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

NY to FL route advice

Kmeister

I am in the beginning stages of putting a route together to get myself to Bikeweek. The thought of I95 for mile after mile makes me not want to go. Does anyone here have any route suggestions (or portions that I could patch together) of how to get down there in a reasonable timeframe (+-4 days)? Im looking for suggestions that would keep me off the interstate but also avoid 35mph and trafic lights. Also, any info on camping in the "warmer states" would be appreciated - I think I'll be motelling it for the first half.

TIA.

Come on now! 23 views and nobody has any info? I find it hard to believe this crowd has not ridden north to south on the east coast sans interstate. Oh well, maybe I'll be the first.

I talked about this trip last year from Ma. I have a friend who is one of those guys that makes his first stop at South of The Border. Any way he talked about staying to the west of 95 till Richmond Va. I'll ask him tomorrow.

When you say no 35 MPH or signal lights, then it is tough I have ridden to bike week many times from New York's Capital District. If interstates is what you want , and not I-95, then I-88 to I-81 south. But there are loads of trucks on that route. If the weather is with you, you could always get on the Blue Ridge Parkway which parallels I-81. Otherwise, US 1 from NY to Florida. Twice I have gone thru the DelMarVa peninsula and then thru the outer Banks in NC. Good route, in 4 days or less, but sections of 35 MPH.

Josh

Aaaaah, I knew it. There is info out there.

Yankeeone: thanks for the reply. Appreciate any info you can get.

Josh: It looks like we are neighbors, Im from east greenbush. I want to avoid as much interstate as possible. I figured I would have to head a bit west to get any decent roads. I dont mind the occasional town and traffic light, but my concern was that if I let my Garmin pick an "off interstate" route, it would send me thru every town and light between here and daytona. I want to make time but not battle trucks and I dont know if that is realistic or even possible which is why I posted the question figuring someone (like yourself) would know.

Out of the way

I rode from Houston to Maine last summer. If I was going to do it all again, I would spend more time on western Virginia roads. Highway 61 between US 460 on the east and west. Whew, what a squiggly road. But it goes through towns, and many, many of the turns are 15 mph jobs, and lots of tee intersections and towns. I kinda liked that, the Americana of it all. And the scenery was breathtaking.

I would cross back and forth through the valley there as many times as time would allow. There is no end of great roads in Appalachia.

The problem for me riding to Florida in early March or late February, is winter is still here. And the further west you are from the ocean, the greater the chances for winter impacting your ride in a negative manner. That is why my winter choice for a route is a combination of I-95, the Outer Banks of NC, and US 1. If I were confident with a long range mellow weather forecast, then I would consider the Blue Ridge Parkway or its parallel roads. I am from Latham.

Josh

If you plan on riding to around Wilmington DE, then you could (as has already been suggested) go down the DelMarVa to Norfolk, then the Outer Banks. Or, alternately, take US-301 to MD & VA, bypass Richmond, then hook up w/ US-13 or US-17.

If you plan on skirting the NYC/Phl/DC to the west, then US-15 south from Harrisburg might work for you, as it would allow you to hook up w/ US-1 or US-29, or some others.

Although a GPS is on my bike I still prefer to use maps (Michelin / Delorme) in planning my route to/from my intended destination. The GPS is great for food, lodging, urban street info, etc. Maps have much more detailed info on Parks, points of interest, secondary roads, and in the case of Delorme Topography. Weather permitting I would travel down along the coast and inland (Blue Ridge Parkway, Western Maryland, Pennsylvania) on the way back north.

Come on now! 23 views and nobody has any info? I find it hard to believe this crowd has not ridden north to south on the east coast sans interstate. Oh well, maybe I'll be the first.

where was i.... asleep at the handlebars! :blush

a few years ago, I wrote a story for the ON and the Forum called "The back way to Bike Week."

Now, this assumes a start near Athens, Georgia, off of I-85.

For some interesting riding through points north of there (weather permitting) consider I-81 instead of I-95.

if you think you'll take that route, PM me and i'll give you something that will keep you busy for a few days.... :evil

ian

I used to live in Maryland and rode the area south of there quite a bit. US 15 through Virginia works well. It's mostly straight in the southern part of the state, but most of the traffic is on the interstates and a lot of it is fairly open (or at least it was last time I went that way). You pick up US 1 in central North Carolina, and that remains fairly open, too. There are small towns along the way, but much of it is rural. I don't know what the posted speeds are, and you won't be able to make the time you would on the interstate, but it's a lot more interesting route. If you get pressed for time you can head over to the interstate.

- Kate

look in DE for rt 13 to rt 17. Most of 17 follows 95, but I feel it is a better ride. I take this way down to bike week every year. You can take 17 all the way to the FL border. Some years I throw in the Outer Banks Ferry system, it all depends on the weather. I hate 95...
Ron

Rt 301 is a great way to go. nice country riding, but your never too far from I-95 if you need to make up some time.

Ok, done that...

I hate 95 as well, especially this time of year before the potholes get fixed, which are more like tank-traps. The real coastal route: through nj on theGarden State pkwy, a real nice road. Get on the ferry at Cape May for Lewes, delaware... $25 last year a little over an hour ride a good rest-up.Route 113 to 13 gets you to Norfolk, then contunue 13 (pretty much of a 55 mph road) to 17 , right through to the jewel of the southeast coast: Ch-ch-charlestown!!! Go a little south of that gorgeous town, lay over in FOLLY BEACH, this time of year wonderful there. I have done it in 1 shot, on a 12 hour time. After Charleston, you pretty much have to take the 95 bullet, but the road is actually good in there to Jacksonville. Obviously, the evil side of 95 is NJ through Virginia. Once at the North Carolina border, 95 sweetens up-- but the coastal route is incomparably better, and Charleston is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Best regards ---james

Back