• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gerbings Panel Mounted Port?

I have been riding with a Gerbing Jacket Liner, Gloves, Pants Liner, and Dual Controller for some time. I used the battery harness that comes with each piece of gear to wire directly to the battery with the inline fuse. The wire come out just under the seat on the left side. That is a very convenient location because it is very close to the power connectors on the Jacket Liner. I can't imagine how it would work out to have to extend the wire from my Dual Controller up to the instrument panel.

You may want to do a dry run on this to check out if the wire from the controller will reach all the way to the panel and still give you enough room to get on and off the bike. I can tell you that I would not want my Gerbing connection to be anywhere but where it is.

...The wire comes out just under the seat on the left side...I can tell you that I would not want my Gerbing connection to be anywhere but where it is.

I agree. Mine's in the same place:

PanelSocket2.jpg

Gerbngs Panel Mounted Port components

I have the Gerbings panel mount port kit on order...it should provide everything, including the direct to battery or distribution panel connection needed. I did not get the more basic mount port (item 2) which I believe is just the flush mount connector kit on a short harness.

As noted by others, Gerbings provides a direct to battery harness in every garment kit and at four to five feet long it usually works well on most machines.

I will be using surface mount outlets (per above) on the RT and my spouse's 11R, but just use the Gerbings harness on the 800s poking out from the left top side of the seat, or alternatively, use the BMW/Powerlet accessory connector = have two 15A accessory ports on everything.

One 15A connection along with a dual controller works well.

Cheers, Bruce

or alternatively, use the BMW/Powerlet accessory connector = have two 15A accessory ports on everything.

When I bought my first Gerbing gear from my BMW dealer, I was planning to use the adapter that Gerbing sells to connect to the BMW accessory socket. My dealer talked me out of it. I always listen to a seller who gives me advice which results in a lost sale for them. He said most BMW models have a 5 amp load limit on the factory installed accessory socket. At 77 watts, a jacket liner alone will exceed that capacity. I don't believe that powerlet plug and socket are the limiting factor. So, if you installed the socket yourself direct to the battery with a 15 amp inline fuse, I'm sure it would be fine.

I am really glad I took his advice because having the connector come out from below the left side of the seat is really ideal. Plenty of extra length on the Dual Controller wire so I can connect and disconnect standing next to the bike and get on and off without tugging the wire.

Some time ago, I ran across a rider who had a BMW vest that she plugged into an accessory socket near the instrument cluster. She had all kinds of problems with the wire breaking right where it goes into the vest (and unlike Gerbing, BMW did not offer a lifetime warranty). I am guessing it probably was the result of the wire being pulled frequently while she was getting on, off, and riding because she had very little excess length on the wire after extending it up to the instrument cluster.

Gerbings and heated clothing ports

I have been using the BMW/Powerlet accessory connection harnesses for three years now and none of them have failed, you just need to be careful when plugging them in and disconnecting them. I have some coaxial to coaxial leads now with heavy duty strain relief connectors, which are proving super strong for use as well.

Starting in 2010 (I believe), some of the larger BMW machines, like my RT and I believe the R1200GS and GSA now have a 10A rating on the OEM CANBus outlets, which should help run some garments directly. I still prefer the 15A outlets for load purposes, especially with the dual circuit controllers.

Bruce

Back