• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Arizona 191

I have ridden this many times. It is known as the "Coronado Trail" not Devils Highway. The explorer Coronado used this route on his way North. You are able to read your own license plate if you go fast enough. Think about it!

Jack

Quite right, Jack. When I first heard about it, it was still labeled 666, and nicknamed the Devil's Hwy. I've always thought of it that way as a result, and only later learned it was properly called the Coronado Trail. My bad... this road deserves no disrespect. :nono

if you're not afraid of a little sandy road riding, there is an awesome road that goes from Lake Roosevelt to Apache junction that you could ride on the way back.

ian

Ian, thanks for this tip. I had the pleasure of taking AZ 88, the "Apache Trail" from Roosevelt to Apache Junction today (somewhat unfortunately in my car, not my bike), and I would have to say it is the most impressive 44 miles of awesome scenery I have ever travelled. If I had my GS, it would have been heaven. As it is, I'm planning a return trip on my RS on the paved portion, from Apache Junction to at least as far as Tortilla Flats. No disrespect on your video clip, but there's no way any camera can do this road justice. :beer

Thanks for the report. I'm a former AZ resident, caged that route several times. Never got to ride it though. Photos make me a little "homesick". 191 is on my bucket list of rides to do.

Marty now in Spo Val, WA

Hi,
I work in that big hole, also known as the Morenci mine, driving one of the gargantuan trucks which seem so small when you see them waaay down in the mine. I've ridden the Coronado Trail a few times from Morenci to Alpine and it's a great ride - in late spring, summer, or early autumn, when the road is free of snow and most of the grit associated with snow.

Incredible ride. I went from LA to Tucson, up 191, across Show Low and Pinetop, and ended up at the Phoenix Pits rally. Wow.

I caught this road again on my way to CA last Tuesday...I was the only one on it north of the Morenci Mine for the 90+ miles...saw vehicles again in Alpine.
Snow on roadside in Hannigan Meadows and a pleasant temp of 52, but sunny & dry for the whole run. :dance

About 1/4 way headed north from Clifton...looking south from where I had just came from

Attachments

• P1010092.jpg
    P1010092.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 63
I'll be on my trusted '93 R1100RS. Unfortunately, I left my GS at home this year. I say unfortunately, because there appears to be lots of great off-pavement riding in this state.
As long as there is no deep sand or mud, you can do it on any bike. The only thing that makes a R-GS better suited is more room beneath the bike and more suspension travel. I did semi-offroad in Morrocco on a fully loaded RT two years ago. Some rough roads too (potholes, gravel, dirt, broken tarmac).

But you're right about doing these things with a buddy. These backroads are somewhat deserted and when you're in trouble, it doesn't get any better...

@Henzilla: In Spain, they put a row of little stones to mark the end of the road and the start of the abyss...as if they want to say 'don't cross the line'

US 191 in AZ

Rode from Clifton to Alpine a week ago. Going North only had to pass 2 cars with about 10 cars going South. Road was in great shape, with only a small section were road maint. was ongoing (about 1 mile). Temp was 61F at the highpoint (9,100ft) and was 88F down in the flat lands. Here was the straight section...

5645746649_ab44905d09_b.jpg

Nice road! I had taken the road N to S in my Honda Pilot and it wore my arms out!

Enjoy :dance

Back