• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I phone connnectivity

Does anyone have experience with the I phone 4 connectivity with a laptop via bluetooth while traveling where there is no other wifi ? Would appreciate any ones thoughts.

Does anyone have experience with the I phone 4 connectivity with a laptop via bluetooth while traveling where there is no other wifi ? Would appreciate any ones thoughts.

AT&T will allow tethering for an extra $20 a month, dunno about Verizon.

Even without the hit from new iPhone 4 users the Verizon network's data speeds are noticeably slower than AT&T. The tethering option on AT&T is possible with the iPhone but AT&T is slow to allow it as iPhones already use a substantial portion of the bandwidth. I jailbroke my daughter's iPhone 3GS to test the tethering capability and it worked great with my wife's Mac laptop.

Expect both Verizon and AT&T to have data tethering. Verizon will be slower on data and apparently more reliable in some areas on voice (calls).

When I put my Iphone into 3G mode I can't say as I see that much of an increase in download speed and 3G coverage is still pretty spotty compared to regular service even in the DC Metro area and gets worse real quick once you leave the major road systems. I thought about getting the tethering feature for my net book but decided not worth the cost. Esp as WiFi gets rolled out to more places, hotels, coffee shops, even some downtown areas are adding public coverage.
Really depends on how important a feature it is, personal or job related etc.

RM

It really depends where you are. In a large city, AT&T 3G performance is usually pretty poor but if you are in a small town with 3G, it could be pretty good. Outside of places like San Francisco, Las Vegas, D.C., etc., I get 1-2 Mbps download on AT&T 3G. In those cities, sometimes I can't even get a connection. Fortunately, I live in a small town and usually don't even bother connecting to wireless as the speeds are perfectly adequate.

The OP asked about tethering. I tried the wireless tethering solution using a jail broken phone (fairly trivial to do) and performance on the laptop was pretty good. Verizon now offers a wireless hotspot option which turns the phone into a wireless base station. I suspect that AT&T will offer the same option at some time. This feature really drains the battery fast depending on the power level you set for wireless base station.

Hope this helps.

I use it here in AUS quite a bit. I find the Bluetooth connection is the bottleneck so connect using the USB cable. Quite workable.

Jailbreak your iPhone4 running 4.21 or 4.26 for verizon with greenp0ison add cydia and spend 10 bucks and buy mywi. This will turn your iPhone into a hotspot. Just understand and know your data plan. My plan remains unlimited. I run the hotspot and use it with a wifi iPad. Works great! Courts said legal. AT&T may not agree. Your choice.

There's never any connectivity out west off the beaten track.

Back