• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Bluetooth dongle for Zumo 550

KevinRT

KevinRT
I figure this question has been asked before but I can find no recent relevant thread.

I have a Zumo 550 and have recently purchased a Sena bluetooth headset. I want to use the Zumo's mp3 capabilities to listen to stereo music and would like to purchase a bluetooth dongle so I can do so. I think J&M has one but not sure. (I just found out the J&M dongle will only work with J&M headsets, so that solution is out. They suggested I would have to move up to the Zumo 665 which has A2DP as part of the operating system. Don't feel like spending the bucks to upgrade to the 665, for sure!) I would prefer one that can be charged on bike rather than a wall plug as I like to camp when touring and would like to remain independent of the grid. Is there anything out there like this? If not, what is the best device in regards to per charge listening time, quality of sound, and ease of use? Any of these waterproof?

I figured on just asking the kind folks at Cycle Gadgets but they're no longer in business.

Also, best place to purchase a extra memory card for the Zumo.

Kevin
Ottawa, Canada

Last edited:
The memory card part of your question is easy. Any 2gb SD or 4 GB SDHC will work just fine. No real need to go larger since the 550 can only handle 1000 songs. That is unless you want to load a bunch of supplemental maps. I don't know that it can handle anything larger than 8gb though.

I have to admit that I don't use the bluetooth to the gps anymore. I'm going straight to the phone since it has all my music loaded too. I've done so many dual sport trips with the Zumo that I'm used to looking at it for directions and don't need the voice prompts.

Greetings
We also have the 550 connected to scala g4. The trouble with using a sd card and the zumo 550 is the load time. Each time you turn off the 550 and restart it the sd card is what gets loaded first. It may take 10 minutes or more for the 550 to load the mp3s depending on size, after you have music then you be giving directions. This may not sound like a big deal but it is a PITA. I have no idea what other bluetooth functions are diabled during this load time. I have never loaded any maps onto the 550 using a sd card that may not take as long. Has for the scala g4:banghead it will be replaced at the rally.
tony

The 550 is slow loading music if all the files are in the same folder. The stuff i use to sync with my pc/mac keeps the computer structure which is a folder for each artist and a sub folder for each of the artist's albums. The zumo starts plenty fast that way.

I figure this question has been asked before but I can find no recent relevant thread.

I have a Zumo 550 and have recently purchased a Sena bluetooth headset. I want to use the Zumo's mp3 capabilities to listen to stereo music and would like to purchase a bluetooth dongle so I can do so.

Bluetooth is black art. Quick search turned up this:

http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/listen-to-stereo-music-on-your-garmin-zumo-550.htm

Way too pricey for me. Better off selling the 550, buying a 660 or 665 and doing it that way. The 6** series Garmin is MUCH faster, has plenty of memory to load latest map updates (unlike 550) and other than the occasional unexpected shutdown, is a fine product. I sold both of my 550's and would not go back.

The Zumo 550 has two bluetooth circuits in it. One is intended for your phone and the other connects to a head set for hearing the phone conversation. When paired correctly, you will see the symbol of a phone along with a symbol of a headset in the upper left corner of your Zumo screen when your Zumo is in the main menu mode.

In the case with Autocom, that second blue tooth connects with your Autocom only your Autocom most likely doesn't have a blue tooth circuit. Hence you need their bluetooth dongle with plugs into the phone port, Aux 1. Now you have the ability to talk and listen on your phone hands free including caller ID showing up on your Zumo screen.

All this works great if you have earphones in your helmet wired to your Autocom such as their set with connecting cable or custom ear buds using their cable.

In your case you're hoping to use that second blue tooth for your Sena head set which may not work. If it does, it might not work in stereo.

When using the above blue tooth set up, there is also a mode on the Zumo menu to play both your phone and stored MP3 audio though the Autocom Dongle. It works fine, but for really good sound you should run a cable from your Zumo cradle ( the headphone port on the left side) directly to AUX 2 on your Autocom.

As for Zumo's loading slowly, one way to free up memory is to discard the languages.
Unless you prefer hearing directions spoken in Czechoslovakian, or Chinese, chunk them all accept American Jill or Jack. Also putting music in folders of 20 songs I'm told works. The Zumo doesn't care about all the folders on your SD card and still displays your entire play list.

Rethinking bluetooth

Hmmm, this seems like it's going to be a lot more complicated and/or expensive than I thought. Perhaps I will just try a corded option for now and see how that works. After all, even though I have wanted to listen to tunes while riding ever since I started riding 36 years ago, maybe I will find it too distracting anyways.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Kevin
Ottawa, Canada

Yep, that's what I did. Started corded just to see if I liked it. Watch your music selection though. Certain types seem to adversely effect right wrist action. I tend to keep the music a little more on the mellow side now. :doh

Music while riding

I've been listening to music for a long time. I started with cheap MP3 players and then added XM radio. Now I have the Zumo 660, iPod, and XM (3 music sources). All is powered by a FuzeBox and amplified by an AmpliRider amp.

But now I want to go the BT route via the Sena SMH10. The Zumo is made for that and I will be able to connect my phone to it and use that MP3 music and/or Pandora radio. I also want to connect the XM via BT to the Sena. No speakers in helmet - I'll use the S Plugs that I ordered today.

If it works I'll be a happy camper. :)

tsp
2010 RT

zumo 550 and Bluetooth Adapters or BTAs

I did some of the related articles on www.webbikeworld.com regarding Bluetooth Adapters or dongles...there are quite a few on the market - Jabra, Sony, Rocketfish, IMC/Camos, Chatterbox iCombi, AKE, etc. I have most of them, or have tested others and with only the odd exception, they will work well with the zumo550.

Not having stereo output was a big reason why we finally got a zumo660 and now a zumo665 - no regrets so far.

But if the 550 is working well, then the addition of a BTA or dongle will do the trick...and yes most of them will need charging once a day, or every other, depending on how much use they get. Most use a simple USB interface for charging.

Connecting the stereo output to the Bluetooth helmet headset via wire is always, or typically, a solution, but adding a dongle, once past the initial outlay, pays dividends.

A good starting point is here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/

If you want more information or some assistance, PM me.

Cheers, Bruce (HBC)

Back