• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RIDER Awareness program with real meat

ANDYVH

With spring approaching (yeah!) the ineffective "Watch For Motorcycles" awareness programs will likely start up again. I get frustrated with these yearly, somewhat lame programs because I feel they do not address the first and real issue of rider risk reduction, that being the RIDER is the first issue, NOT other road users. I could imagine a better rider awareness billboard/add program. It shows a number of common riders, sportbike, scooter, crusier, touring bike, all in different forms of riding gear, all pointing out at the rider reading the add, which says, "YOU and only you are FIRST responsible for YOURSELF and your riding."

Maybe, "You FIRST are the one to reduce your riding risks."

Maybe, "You choose to control your riding risks, not others. Act on it!"

Or maybe, "Rider safety starts and ends with YOU first, don't depend on others!"

Any other slogan ideas out there? I would love to present the idea to the state DOT to see if they would participate. The more ideas for slogans we get the better the chance that someone at the DOT might listen and apply it. Lets get a thread going to present ideas on how we can improve our OWN conditions first.
This same post is on motorcycle-usa,com

Also check out the MAC (Motorcycle Awareness Campaign) program founded in Louisiana. www.macorg.com . We have just founded the first MAC chapter here in Alabama for this express purpose. The state of AL has no motorcycle awareness program like many states do. So we are hoping to get the attention of state leaders here and are working hard to get a program started now.

However, the MAC approach is different than being just about the rider. MAC suggests that rider proper rider training, the rider operating safely and awareness of the general motoring public are all ultimately responsible for motorcycle safety. No doubt the rider and his safety and training are paramount and the first line of defense. But the ignorance and or inattention of the motoring public should not be underestimated in the cause of crashes. The MAC campaign is an advertising campaign through multiple media outlets to raise the overall awareness of motorcycles operating within the general traffic population. Individual, corporate memberships along with federal and state participation provide the funding for the campaign. This is a 100% volunteer operated initiative. all the monies collected goes to work FOR the campaign.

When the MAC program is coordinated with state DOT and training entities such as the MSF, etc the overall impact for a safer motorcycling environment can be greatly enhanced...and that has been proven in LA.

So I believe it is the responsibility of all of us to operate together safely. And that includes components of effective rider training, safety and the awareness of those around us.

Check it out, MAC seeks ultimately to take the program nationwide. There would be greater strength...in greater numbers. We like the program here in AL and are working dilligently to make a positive difference!!

Attachments

• MAC Logo.JPG
    MAC Logo.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 218
How about a billboard with a rider in bright, attention-getting ATGATT, yet wearing a cape and with hands on his hips, standing next to his BMW, and the slogan:

"Remember: In a World of Super Heroes, You're The Invisible Man!"

"Be Safe - Be SEEN. Be Around Tomorrow."

:bikes

Last edited:
Tuned in to T.V. this morning for the traffic report

What I saw made me sick. A view of a 1971 BMW that was completely mangled ( the rider was dead). Hit head on by a drunk who crossed the center line. What rider safety awareness program can prepare you for the drunks on the road. This may not be the right forum, but I had to say something. I have in 20 years encountered three errant left turners while riding. Never when driving a car or my truck. Yes, we need to ride responsibly And I do like my barley, but more cars hit bikes than the other way around. We recognize our vulnerability, but I often feel like a moving target. :cry

Left turners are a problem for everyone. I lost full use of my right arm and my career to one. Weds. one pulled out in front of me while I was driving my tow vehicle. That is a full sized semi. The idiot came within 3 feet of being spread all over the pavement. Had my brakes been even a little bit soft that mini van would have been under the truck.

Andy - I truly applaud your intent to shift emphasis from the cage driver to the motorcyclist in Wisconsin"s usual ad campaign this Spring, reference Motorcycle Awareness and Safety.

I agree - the old 'tried and true' slogans of "Motorcycles Have Rights" and "Share The Road", etc. have been, in my opinion, ineffective. We need to 'take the bull by the handlebars,' so to speak.

I urge you to follow thru with your plan to lobby Madison (WI) for this 'shift in emphasis.' Do so quickly, though - billboards/ads by mid-April would not be too soon to alert the riding public to assume greater responsibility for safe motorcycling.

To that end, along with the fifth post in this thread, where I referred to "The Invisible Man," I offer a few more suggestions.

Your contact people would be Major Landsdorg, WI State Patrol, and of course Greg Patzer, WI State Motorcycle Program. I just spent a day with both of them at a conference for the MSF in Madison this past Tuesday, so I know they're both still vertical and taking nourishment!

Idea: A billboard/ad with a small gathering of mourners surrounding a coffin. On it is a black leather jacket and black helmet. The caption:

"This Is One Way To Stand Out In A Crowd."

Consider Bright Apparel /Helmet, Reflective Gear & Auxillary Lighting.

Idea: A billboard/ad in an urban neighborhood with a slightly damaged car, a motorcycle tipped over next to it, and a 'shaken' rider seated on an ambulance bumper getting attention. He or she is wearing dark clothing (nothing reflective). The caption:

"Sometimes You Really Do Need To Be The Brightest Kid On The Block."

Consider Bright Apparel / Helmet, Reflective Gear & Auxillary Lighting.

Idea: A billboard/ad with a motorcycle in the center, surrounded by phrases such as "Get Trained," "Continuing Education," "Bright Apparel," "Helmet," "Full Riding Gear," "Reflective Material," (etc.). Upper Caption:

"Riding Is Doing Everything Responsibly"

Caption beneath the image:

"Don't Just Get On A Motorcycle - Be a R.I.D.E.R."

Last edited:
OK - one more. Then I have to shovel and get down to the International Motorcycle Show in Chicago.

Idea: A billboard/ad with two motorcyclists pictured. One is dressed from head-to-toe in bright riding leathers, helmet and standing next to a sharp sportbike (have to appeal to that demographic!). The other stands next to a big, low cruiser style bike (dare I say 'H-D' ?!), perhaps loaded for touring, yet in full and colorful protective gear (the 'other' demographic). Both are smiling, having had a great day and givng each other a high-five. The Caption:

"The Ultimate Ride Is The One You Come Home From."

Take Responsibility For Your Visibility.

Last edited:
A lot of my attitude about riding comes from watching and evaluating other riders in traffic, the type of gear they wear (if much of anything), how they move in traffic, how I sense their preparedness for traffic issues, etc. I see a LOT or riders with no apparent or obvious regard for the conditions they ride themselves into. Yet, when the car takes their lane, when the car turns left into them, when the car pulls out in front of them, the FIRST thing they do is blame the car driver and curse them out.

But, I have the opinion that most issues of concflict between cars and bikes in traffic are caused near as much by the rider as by the car driver! I really do feel that if more riders took it upon themself to make their riding as good as it could be, their traffic issues would reduce a lot. I know mine did two decades back when I took it upon myself to ride the best I could. Just saying "Ride Safe" is not enough.

Now, drunks crossing the centerline and similar issues are unique in themself. Most of our riding issues are based on using the road with sober and involved drivers. A drunk driver is a totally unique animal with no sensibility and awareness of their driving.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the positive and supportive responses. I feel the time may be ripe to present a rider-responbility program.

But, make no mistake that I absolve car drivers and road idiots of their disconnected, distracted actions against us, to include the "I never saw the bike" response of car drivers. Their actions and mistakes against us as riders are still theirs to take on. However, if we are the best riders we can be then the car drivers can honestly be blamed.

Also, when about 40% of cycle crashes are single bike accidents, then who else but the rider is the one to consider? This to me includes riders with lack of skills, no knowledge of skills, no care about the riding and environment, or just plain ignorance of the many aspects that affect our riding.

I like that one too! It coincides well with my feelings about loud pipes and the ridiculous arguement that loud pipes saves lives. My arguement has always been that by the time you are close enough to make pipe noise effective, you are simply too close. That closeness requires reactive versus proactive riding strategies.

If I think hard, in the past 100,000+ miles I probably used my cycle horn as a defensive tactic fewer than four times, maybe even less than two times. My riding technique in traffic, unless I screw something up or miss something, has hardly ever put me in a traffic condition or issue that I had to hit the horn.

I will use the horn in a short "peep" mode to make bicyclists who I am overtaking on narrow rural roads aware that I am positioning to pass. I use it locally on the one lane railroad underpass with curves so that you cannot see through to the other side (it says "Sound Horn Before Entering" and on a one lane bridge (again over a railroad cutting) which has no visibility of traffic coming the other way. There are a few blind narrow intersections around here and if I am on the through road and can't see if there is another vehicle on the other road I will slow down but possibly give a horn "toot".

I may use it to give a short "toot" when overtaking a large truck on a multilane highway, but more often give a headlamp flash to indicate "I'm passing".

I have used the horn in daytime when on a through road and see a vehicle coming from a side road where they are supposed to stop before coming onto the through road. Again at night I will go onto high beam to make them aware.

I don't use the horn in a long "blast" to challenge, rebuke or antagonize.

Before I do use the horn I have always put the bike into a position to take evasive or corrective action if there is another vehicle who makes a mistake.

PT9766

I have seen Andy operate a motorcycle on and off the highway, and he rides with an almost Zen-like awareness of his surroundings.

Consequently, he is able to put his 'horn' on an austere diet, and it is rarely used.

However, your more frequent use of an audible signal also deserves merit, as you seem to exhibit a very pro-active approach to your riding.

The examples you give are all laced with logic, so it represents a style of operation worth noting.

Continue to ride safe and aware for many miles to come! :bikes

I'm a firm believer that judicious use of the horn to make your presence known to the otherwise oblivious puts you and hopefully other fellow riders in the forefront of the mind of the offending driver.... Like a friendly "HEY! SMARTEN UP!" :)

Thanks everyone for the positive and supportive responses. I feel the time may be ripe to present a rider-responbility program.

But, make no mistake that I absolve car drivers and road idiots of their disconnected, distracted actions against us, to include the "I never saw the bike" response of car drivers. Their actions and mistakes against us as riders are still theirs to take on. However, if we are the best riders we can be then the car drivers can honestly be blamed.

Also, when about 40% of cycle crashes are single bike accidents, then who else but the rider is the one to consider? This to me includes riders with lack of skills, no knowledge of skills, no care about the riding and environment, or just plain ignorance of the many aspects that affect our riding.

Keep in mind though that often cagers truly Don't see us and that is not always from a lack of attention on their part. Studies have shown that for many cage drivers their mind set is simply not "programmed" to be aware of motorcycles. So with that in mind, it would seem to me that a truly effective campaign would include awareness training for Both sides, cagers AND bikers. And since it is Our lives being put at risk, we should also take on part of the responsibility to ensure they are made more aware of us. Leaving it up them won't do anything as long as they remain ignorant of our presence on the road and so no amount of defensive driving or training is going to change that factor of the overall risk.

RM

Quoting Rocketman,"And since it is Our lives being put at risk, we should also take on part of the responsibility to ensure they are made more aware of us. Leaving it up them won't do anything as long as they remain ignorant of our presence on the road and so no amount of defensive driving or training is going to change that factor of the overall risk."

Very true about drivers not seeing us. When they say "I didn't see the motorcycle", they aren't lying for the most part. They don't see us and aren't looking for us, or at least not expecting us. But, then the question is "why aren't they seeing us?" In that, there are many reasons, most have to do with how the human brain processes perceived threats. A big bus or dump truck is an easily referenced threat, and it changes quickly for its size as it approaches. So even older eyes and brains register it as a threat. A bike though, being a slim, vertical profile in their field of vision, present little register of threat. Also, it doesn't change dramatically in size as it approaches, must faster than a bus or dump truck. Again, the brain does not register it as an immediate threat until it is too close.

So, it is up to us to make sure we do all we can to improve the odds. Because first and foremost, WE are the ones that control the MOST of what conspires in traffic to create a threat to ourselves. If more riders take on the responsibility to: increase their conspicuity, not tear through traffic, use positional tactics to increase visibility, increase their following distance, become more aware of ALL the environmental influences (sunlight, shadows, line of sight, blockages to view), then the chances of more car drivers seeing them is improved. Or at least, the RIDER sees things happening and developing before getting to that "the car was suddenly there" situation.

Anytime I hear a rider report a close call or crash as "the car was suddenly there" to me means the rider did not have a total view and knowledge of everything the rider was riding into! So who is the most responsible for that?

Last edited:
Back