Thread: Teletype WorldNav 3500 motorcycle gps

Hybrid View

Sanibel Island, FL, Boothbay Harbor, ME. Portsmouth, NH

Teletype WorldNav 3500 motorcycle gps

I've been beating the internet crazy looking for a good buy on a Zumo 550 for my newly acquired '04 GS. Past post had me looking almost exclusively for the Garmin unit...pricey as you all know. This evening came across a new (well new to me) unit just recently released (Nov. 2010). The unit is Teltype 3500 http://www.teletype.com/p/3500.html. The parent company has a strong rep with navigation systems for the trucking industry from what I've found thus far. Using that as a back drop and the fact it can be obtained for as little as $275 (Amazon) along from other reputable outlets, might any members have additional opinions/input on this company/unit. It seems like a good affordable alternative to a pricer Zumo. Seems to have all the bells and whistles and the company rep seems solid. It seems so new I was unable to find any internet-online reviews. Feedback?
    Last edited by rhbowen2; 02-09-2011 at 03:39 AM.
    "If not now, when?" Hillel the Elder

Rally Rat
    I do not know this company, however this unit does not seem to have desktop routing software as does the Zumo.

With routing from ones desktop, you can choose roads and routes rather than having to use the auto-route feature from the unit itself. This is why I chose the Zumo over the much cheaper Nuvi.

Reading through the on-line manual, I spotted several points..

1 - The software/database is truck use oriented - down to having weight stations in the database, and being able to enter the trucks weight so it can route you on roads where the weight is permissable.

2 - Didn't see a real routing preference selection. Garmin has rather extensive routing preferences you can customize, or select on the fly that make the routing more useful. I especially enjoy using "Shortest route" sometimes since it takes me down some backroads I'd never go on otherwise..

3 - Menu selection looked a bit difficult. The ZUMO has dedicated buttons that are made to be glove friendly. I'm not so sure how well the touch screen menus will work on this GPS with gloves (I'd want to try it first - having difficulty using the menus is a real safety hazard unless you are VERY disciplined and ALWAYS stop before changing something on the GPS.)

4 - The screen displays looked a bit crude. Sort of low-res looking. Can't say without actually seeing it - but it didn't look as finished as a Zumo or other Gamins.

5 - It uses Windows CE as the operating system. Dunno if this is good/bad/indifferent.

Bottom line - without a good review by a motorcyclist, or a decent hands on session, I'd only consider it if it came with a 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee. But that's just me.. other people will do otherwise.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

is it water proof?

Quote Originally Posted by wuli959 View Post
    is it water proof?
    According to the specifications - somewhere - it listed it as a class (something) 5 for waterproof. Good/bad/dunno?
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    According to the specifications - somewhere - it listed it as a class (something) 5 for waterproof. Good/bad/dunno?
    Class 5 ÔÇô Waterproof and submersible to depths greater than 12 feet

that ought'a work unless there is a serious bridge malfunction