• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Boots for touring and general stuff?

Boot height is very important.

I was riding in short boots and had an incident. All the nice gear saved my hide on every inch of my body, except for my calves. Not sure how, but the opposed twins kind of got in the mix. Taller boots would have save me a trip to the doc, and a prescript of the wonder drug.... Antibiotic.

Alpinestars Soho boots are awesome. Look great, comfy, and built well. I sometimes don't even change my boots at work, as they look good enough for casual khakis.

http://www.alpinestars.com/Soho_GoreTex_Boot/pd/np/113/p/233700.html

Did I mention that their comfortable?

There are several

good boots on the market. I have a pair of the Aerostich Combat Boot, and they are great, if a little much to get on and off. I only wear them when touring. I love and wish I had stuck with my Red Wing Pecos work boot. All the protection, and easy on and off. No problem with getting pants legs over the boot, either.

Big Calf

12" off of the deck, my calves (calfs?) are 18" in circumference.

I wrapped a dish towel around my calf to bring the circumference up to 18" and was just able to Velcro the tops with ~1" of overlap. Boot size is 8-1/2 EE.

Squeaky Boots

I have a pair of BMW boots that are hinged at the ankle...and they squeak like crazy when I walk. Love em for riding. Any advice re: lubricants? Silicon or light oil or?? I know silicon can do funny things to some surfaces if they are incompatible.

Go back everyone, and read the post by Theo two more times. Thanks for posting. I learned 38 years ago that exposed laces, IMHO, have no place on any boot used in motorcycling. Mine got caught on a countershaft sprocket and I am fortunate to have had no serious injury. Combined with gear shift levers and brake pedals, too much of a chance for hang-ups. I wear either a Sidi On Road or Oxtar (TCX) Infinity depending on conditions and take no chance that a lace will ever cause trouble. Ride at you own risk preference and ride safe!

I have a pair of BMW boots that are hinged at the ankle...and they squeak like crazy when I walk. Love em for riding. Any advice re: lubricants? Silicon or light oil or?? I know silicon can do funny things to some surfaces if they are incompatible.

Good one... I think an oil would probably be safest.. but I'm guessing, but you do rub oil on leather, etc.. and no probs... and if the hinge is plastic oil would be fine.

Not sure how critical it really is...

+1 on NO LACES! My Sidi Canyon's are velcro and an adjustable strap.

For most of the year here in NC, the BMW All Around is a great choice. Done plenty of wet runs that have drowned a few bike parts (eg fpc, BMW accessory tail light, bulbs for TrailTech HIDs) but the boots get the job done no matter how much water they see. They're OK for off the bike but when at a rally site I'll usually switch to a pair of light leather, rubber soled shoes (chosen to be small and packable, they are the only other footwear I take on trips).

The AllArounds do have 1 drawback. Despite using TechSox (wick well, dry quickly, etc), my feet get a little too warm on the hottest humid days when water vapor transport out of the boot is slowest. So for this summer I'm evaluating a pair of TCX AirTex boots, also GoreTex lined, recently obtained from Revzilla. The same size as my AllArounds (44) fit me nicely but they are a very slight bit narrower and longer. This boot has a lot of fabric mesh that I expect will be sufficient to improve vapor transport but I'll know for sure by August.
Any boot I use for trips needs to be waterproof and like many others, I've learned over more than 20 year that the GoreTex brand is reliable. I'm not very willing to test other stuff just to save a few $.

For around town I sometimes use a shorter zip up boot from Fry to which I had a thicker Vibram sole added by a local shoe repair place. These are cooler and more comfortable than AllArounds but aren't mc boots- no ankle protection padding, etc though they are leather lined.

Wish someone would make a shorter waterproof mesh boot- sort of like the current BMW summer boot but with a GoreTex membrane.

Boots Subject

I have had to find a great boot and then put a 2 inch lift on it. So boots that fit you can be modified. Get a good shoe shop to help on that. I also get a Vibram sole put on them.:bikes

I tried about 10 different boots including BMW, Diadora, Gaerne, TCX, and others before finding one that is as close to perfect as I think I'll get: Chippewa Rallies.

CBC_27862_R

Looks nice but the heels too big.
I too have 'cankles' and finding good boots is rough.

cankles.gif

Combat Lites w/ wedge foot look do-able... Now to wait for the taxman.

I'm looking hard at these. They were evaluated in this month's BMWMOA magazine. For those who like a taller boot, they've got a nice selection too:

http://www.gaerneusa.com/shop/touring/impulse-waterproof-touring-boot

Watch the sizing on Gaernes. I usually wear a European size 45 but when I bought some Gaernes last year, they listed a 45 as an American 10 and a 46 as an American 11. So I bought the 46s and they are actually more of a 11.5 or 12. I should have returned them but didn't.

Last edited:
How are the Gaerne's for Summer, hot weather? I think my Sidi Canyon's are a little "hefty" for warm weather...

In off-road motocross type boots, btw.. Sidi and Gaerne are often the "Rolls-Royce of boots"

How are the Gaerne's for Summer, hot weather? I think my Sidi Canyon's are a little "hefty" for warm weather..."

Personally, I find anything waterproof too hot for warm weather, so the Gaernes are strictly my winter boots.

In warm weather, I stick to either something with mesh (I have BMWs and TCXs) or straight leather. If I can't avoid riding in the rain, I use boot covers.

Last edited:
I have the TCX Air Tech and like them a lot. The one big flaw is the very cheap plastic zipper. That annoys me because for $2 more, they could have fixed that.

Go back everyone, and read the post by Theo two more times. Thanks for posting. I learned 38 years ago that exposed laces, IMHO, have no place on any boot used in motorcycling. Mine got caught on a countershaft sprocket and I am fortunate to have had no serious injury. Combined with gear shift levers and brake pedals, too much of a chance for hang-ups. I wear either a Sidi On Road or Oxtar (TCX) Infinity depending on conditions and take no chance that a lace will ever cause trouble. Ride at you own risk preference and ride safe!

I ride laces. I buy laces for the boot, meaning there is no excess flying in the breeze.
I like laces as I can add socks and lace loose or just loosen after a few hundred miles.

If you have excess lace flying in the breeze then tuck them in.

Only you are responsible for your safety.

I ride laces. I buy laces for the boot, meaning there is no excess flying in the breeze.
I like laces as I can add socks and lace loose or just loosen after a few hundred miles.

If you have excess lace flying in the breeze then tuck them in.

Only you are responsible for your safety.

When I went down, my laces were tightly tucked; that wasn't the problem. The bike caught on the part of the laces that ran between the eyelets at the top of my instep. IMHO, unless all parts of the laces are covered by a protective flap (or 1.5 miles of duct tape), laces are too dangerous for me to wear.

YMMV

CBC_27862_R

I'm liking these Chippewa boots the more I read about them, and an inch of heel isn't that extreme. The lack of big freakin' lugs on the soles is nice (thick soles is where I get hung up under my Bings).

But I'll be switched if I can find a dealer anywhere around me that will order in a pair to see if they fit!!! (And I hate the thought of return-shipping). :-[

So much for American enterprise. .. .

Back