• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Boots for touring and general stuff?

I like the Combat lights ,although I wish I would have bought the taller Combat .
The wedge sole is no good for walking . The cleted sole is alright . I wear REI merino wool expedition socks in the winter and in the summer I tighten the lower buckle and wear the REI merino hiking sock .
I coated the toes with KG's Boot Guard .
4 years ,two soles.I ride year around in Colorado .
I like their simplicity for both highway and offroad .

No. But don't take it personally. I don't ride like you nor you like me.
My conclusions are based on my observations as you are basing yours.
I'm not taking it personally, but I'm always curious. It's easy to post a one-liner, but your claim justifies a bit more explanation. Obviously there are people who survives crashes in their underwear, but I think it's just a matter of how/where you go down and under what conditions. Falling from your pushbike on a golfcourse is different from falling on a gravelroad. Usually you don't get to choose these conditions.
So, you may get away 99 times with boots that don't have specific protection, but it's the 1 time that counts.

I don't expect miracles from protective gear. I sometimes endulge in offroad stuff, and I heard that the mx-boots sometimes cause fractures because they're so stiff. But on other ocasions, it's exactly that stiffness that you need to protect you.
But I honestly don't think that shin and ankle protectors are useless. They won't protect you from breaking your leg, but can protect against other injury.

But if you don't want to elaborate, fine by me. But it's a pitty you don't want to share you insight. I might learn something. And I'm not being sarcastic.

Military Boots

At this time I am using my Rocky Boots Winter Desert (gortex an laced) I have been trying to decide what to buy and this thread has me running around like a kid in a candy shop. I would like to have a pair to ride all yr round and shin protection. I wear a size 11.5 and 4E. I guess my budget would be 200 to 250 anything more than that an my wife will bury me with them at sea.

At this time I am using my Rocky Boots Winter Desert (gortex an laced) I have been trying to decide what to buy and this thread has me running around like a kid in a candy shop. I would like to have a pair to ride all yr round and shin protection. I wear a size 11.5 and 4E. I guess my budget would be 200 to 250 anything more than that an my wife will bury me with them at sea.

Chippewa Rally

You can get Alpinestars or TCX boots for less than than.

Tcx

I have been wearing these TCX X-Cube, very comfortable on the bike and walking around the rally etc. Easy to shift and rest on the pegs too

Attachments

• 514hfVR8gWL__SX342_.jpg
    514hfVR8gWL__SX342_.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 487
But if you don't want to elaborate, fine by me. But it's a pitty you don't want to share you insight. I might learn something. And I'm not being sarcastic.

I've been riding a long time. I've been a MOA member a short time.
I've ridden most bikes and I'm constantly trying new ways of keeping safe/dry/warm/cool out side of a car.
Through MY personal observations and seeing gear evolve over the years I'm quite suspect of a few of the manufacturer's intent.
Yes. Some is top notch stuff... And some is clearly marketed at sales.
One needs to be a wise consumer AND use some common sense.

I'm not going to elaborate on which is which out of respect of others 'choices'.

It is just MY opinion that people put too much faith in their gear and not enough in riding skills.

OK... I'll use one NON apparel example.
Loud Horns.
Heck yeah they make people see that the light has changed or even drop the cellphone.
BUT... They also scare people into over reaction and quite possibly into you.

This I know as FACT.

OK... I'll use one NON apparel example.
Loud Horns.
Heck yeah they make people see that the light has changed or even drop the cellphone.
BUT... They also scare people into over reaction and quite possibly into you.

This I know as FACT.

FACT? Or an observation where you used a loud horn and someone behaved as you stated? And if fact, Can you find a "link" to this study?

Anecdotal evidence doesn't count as fact.

I ordered these the other day for HOT weather, general touring. Come with a five-year warranty and Cheap. I'll let you know when I get them.. UPS tracking says next Monday (the 18th) My Sidi Canyons are too heavy, hot in the summertime; and a pair of CycleSpirit boots I have are falling apart. So we'll see...
bilt-boots.jpg

I echo Deilenberger's positive remarks on BMW Allround boots. (See his post #15.) My feet have been happy from around freezing to about 100 F.

I have size 13 A-width feet, and I challenge anyone to find me a pair of motorcycle boots in that size.

My lace-up boots tend to be uncomfortable because of the bend at the ankles while riding, where it feels like the laces are digging into my ankles.

The best I could do was to purchase BMW Allround boots in size 48. I just got them and haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but the boots are roomy enough for me to wear heavy socks in cold weather. They seem flexible enough to be comfortable on the bike, and being fairly light in weight, I should have less problem walking around in these admittedly too-wide boots.

I resigned myself to the fact that I will never find a pair of riding boots that are made in my size.

Harry

Last edited:
Back