Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Boots for touring and general stuff?

Thumbs up

Have gone thru more than a few pairs searching for what you put on your 'wish list.'

Here's my suggestion: Tourmaster Response SC Road Boot.
    They are not too high up on the shin (which can get uncomfortable real quick!), are breathable, yet waterproof and windproof.

Have done quite a bit of touring with them, as well as walking around in them all day at a destination - very comfortable and yet stylish.

Just got my latest Whitehorse Gear catalog in the mail, and noticed them for $119.99, but I bet you could shop around for a better deal yet.

Caution: Consider going one size up from what you normally wear - they ran a bit small.

I lucked out by having a friendly dealer at an International Motorcycle Show one year let me walk around in a pair for hours to confirm this - bought them on the spot - no regrets.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle & High Performance Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

+3 Sidi Canyon Gore-Tex (I love these boots!)

How about I got them NEW off of Craigslist for $50.00.. I swear, not really sure of the story (said they were his brother-in-laws??) but picked em' up NEW in the box.
    SCORE!
    Phil W2GE
    2010 R1200RT 2011 Husqvarna TE310 'Woods-Weapon'
    New Sweden BMW Riders
    iPhone5-> Zumo 660->SENA SMH10, Nuvi 500,

Tourmaster Response SCs are my hot-weather booth when the Sidi Canyons are a bit too much.

The only beef I have with them is that the laces keep getting stuck to the velcro! Also, I was between sizes (44-45) with 10-10.5 feet. Knowing they would be warm weather boots (for me), I went with the 44 and wear thinner socks for a comfortable fit. The SCs allow a lot of "feel" when riding.
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by THEO View Post
    Tourmaster Response SCs are my hot-weather booth when the Sidi Canyons are a bit too much.

The only beef I have with them is that the laces keep getting stuck to the velcro! Also, I was between sizes (44-45) with 10-10.5 feet. Knowing they would be warm weather boots (for me), I went with the 44 and wear thinner socks for a comfortable fit. The SCs allow a lot of "feel" when riding.
    So true about the 'evils of velcro.'

I ended up shortening my laces a bit (and then burning the tips so they don't unravel) - now not such a hassle tucking them inside before I swing over the velcro flap.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle & High Performance Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    {snip}...I ended up shortening my laces a bit (and then burning the tips so they don't unravel) - now not such a hassle tucking them inside before I swing over the velcro flap.
    With use over three years, my original laces are getting a bit weak. Probably not worth cutting them down, but that's a great idea! I purchased some shorter waxed laces for replacement this spring and I'm hoping the waxed fibers resist the temptation to mate with the velcro!
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

Re: BMW AllRound Boots

Around $130 from your friendly local dealer.
    Wow!!! Name three.. ... (my nearest dealer is over 200 miles away).

I haven't seen them (on-line) for under $230.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Boots are such a personal thing. I wore Oxtar (TCX) Matrix (X-Fives) boots for years and they're very comfortable. Before that I wore BMW Contours (now discontinued, but replaced by today's BMW Pro Touring Boots) which were also very comfortable. But for both brands when the sole wears out they're done.

Around six months ago I bought a pair of Aerostich Combat Lites. I commute to work on my bike, wear the Combat Lites all day, and they're perfectly comfortable for all day wear. I'm not talking about hiking in the Rockies, but ordinary office walking around, walking to lunch, going up and down a floor or two of stairs, etc... I've never gotten home at the end of a long day with sore feet. The only soreness I've gotten from the boots was during the first week when I got a blister on the back of my right heel after I'd worn them all day with normal athletic socks. Ordinarily, I wear decent Wigwam ski socks with them, but then I did that during the winter with my other boots, too.

Don't be turned off by the people who complain that it takes years to break in Combat Lites, and that you have to do crazy stuff like soaking them in water and putting them in ovens, etc... I rode in the Combat Lites the first day I had them and, while certainly stiff, they were bearable. But I rode and walked in them every day, and within a few days I could feel that they were molding to my feet and ankles. After a week or two I'd say they were comfortable, and within a couple of months they fit like a glove. After five months and 7,000 miles they're now very comfortable, and continuing to get better. The only thing I've done to them is apply leather balm and SnoSeal every few months. They are heavy, but they break in so beautifully that I don't notice the weight.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

+3 (if I'm counting correctly) on the BMW AllRounds. Being able to try them on at the dealer is a big plus. I've had my fill of mailing boots back and forth.
    Tom
    Plantation, Fl

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    Re: BMW AllRound Boots

Wow!!! Name three.. ... (my nearest dealer is over 200 miles away).

I haven't seen them (on-line) for under $230.
    Lew - you're absolutely correct. My bad. I had a $50 gift certificate, and got 15% off.. (open-house deal) so it was close to that price for me.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    Aerostitch Combat Lites.......
    '02 R1150RT

Sidi - Mega Rain, On Road, and several other models.

I have had 3 pairs over the years. Comfortable to walk in right out of the box. If you have the right size so they fit right you can ride, walk, lounge or hike in them.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

I've had my fill of mailing boots back and forth.
    Ya know, Zappos.com has a great "shipping policy": free, both ways. If I think there is going to be a sizing issue I "bracket my size" by ordering two (or three) of the same model. Since the return shipping is also free, I'm only out a trip down to the UPS store. Floating a couple of pair of boots on my CC for a couple of days ain't no big thang. I've actually placed an order in the afternoon, and received it the following day... not bad for KY to CA!

Too bad they haven't got a freakin' clue what real motorcycle boots are. . .. . As many off-the-wall brands that they carry in stock I can't understand why they don't carry Sidi, BMW, etc ... you can find them scattered all over the net, why not Zappos?
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Why do vendors never post widths w/ their sizes?
    If they do, use the vague term "wide".
    I need 4E foot wear but can't tell from their ads if what I see comes that way.

So I hafta go to a Red Wing store.
    2000 R1100RT opal blue "Millenium Falcon"
    2006 Suzuki C50 Boulevard blue/silver w/ DJ drive mod.
    "Gator"

Box, 4E.. My G-D man, there is no way you can ever tip over! :

How u feelin?
    Phil W2GE
    2010 R1200RT 2011 Husqvarna TE310 'Woods-Weapon'
    New Sweden BMW Riders
    iPhone5-> Zumo 660->SENA SMH10, Nuvi 500,

only boots I've found for bikes that fit me are Red Wing chukka boots
    2000 R1100RT opal blue "Millenium Falcon"
    2006 Suzuki C50 Boulevard blue/silver w/ DJ drive mod.
    "Gator"