• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Seminars 2011 Rally

Becky973

As Women of MOA what would you like a seminar on? Last year I did one on getting into racing with AHRMA. Do you want another one on racing?

Becky #973

I'd be interested in the racing seminar. I am sure there will be plenty other of 2011 attendees who did not make it to 2010.

My wife, Mary, would love to ride her own bike but two things seem to stand in her way: 1) At 4'10" she feels quite challenged to find a 'good fit' and 2) she never drove a standard shift vehicle but I was able to teach her on an old Suzuki beater (you know, practice back and forth against a wall just to learn control). Once she had that skill (sort of) she went to a riding course. This is where she lost her fragile confidence and in one day she came home limping and with a greatly depleted belief in her ability to ever ride. She has traveled about 60,000 miles as pillion (aka copilot in charge of her own gps and all camera equipment). We have made a good team on our little adventures but every once in a while she mentions how she would like to be able to ride her own. I'm a huge encourager of both pillion and independent rider choices. She never rode a bicycle as a kid so this too is a slight learning curve but easily dealt with. Anyway, I seem to taking the long way around on this post but I suggested to her that when we go to Bloomsburg that she attend the Women of MOA seminars and also explore options available to her. Maybe a "So You Want To Ride Too" or "Being Pillion Can Be Interactive and Complimentary To The Ride". I really don't know but I wanted to put the thought out there. - Bob

With all of her experience, maybe Mary can do the "Being Pillion Can Be Interactive and Complimentary To The Ride"!

Looking forward with much anticipation to the Women Who Ride seminar on Saturday morning. We're planning a Meet and Greet so we can spend more time sharing the joy of riding. Back seat or front. We all LOVE riding!

Glad to hear you're considering sharing your enthusiasm again, Becky. I'll sign up for your solo seminar for sure!

Voni
sMiling

Survive Institute - Debbie Gardner. An awesome lady - she does an amazing presentation on personal safety.

She goes beyond the obvious physical things you can do, to how to use your head IF the unthinkable actually does happen. Simple stuff that anyone, any size or ability can do to get back to loved ones safely.

http://www.surviveinstitute.com/Index/Home.html

P

My wife, Mary, would love to ride her own bike but two things seem to stand in her way: 1) At 4'10" she feels quite challenged to find a 'good fit' and 2) she never drove a standard shift vehicle but I was able to teach her on an old Suzuki beater (you know, practice back and forth against a wall just to learn control). . . She never rode a bicycle as a kid so this too is a slight learning curve but easily dealt with. . . - Bob

Sorry to sidetrack this thread, but if your wife isn't comfortable riding a bicycle, that is perhaps a bigger problem than never driving a stick shift. If she wants to ride a motorcycle one of the simplest things she can do right now is to spend some time riding a bicycle and getting comfortable with how two wheeled transport works. She can even feel what counter weighting and counter steering is.

P

Sorry to sidetrack this thread, but if your wife isn't comfortable riding a bicycle, that is perhaps a bigger problem than never driving a stick shift. If she wants to ride a motorcycle one of the simplest things she can do right now is to spend some time riding a bicycle and getting comfortable with how two wheeled transport works. She can even feel what counter weighting and counter steering is.

P

Some good points. Now she can ride a bicycle and such (cautiously). As pillion we have played around with countersteer and many other theoretical basics. With a couple more $$ we will likely look around for one of those old 250 Rebels and start there. Up at the place we call The Homestead (Larry's River, Nova Scotia) there is a old large ball field which could be good for some 'off the main drag' learning. She is really looking forward to Bloomsburg and being part of the Women of the MOA seminar...... and the subsequent beer tent follow up. Anyway, today we have discussed more of this and although she tends to say " if I was 20 years younger..... etc" Naw..... she's still there and seems encouraged by a couple of PMs that she received. We'll see. - Bob

Sorry about the threadjack.

I just attended a seminar at our MSF update: Accident Scene Management. It was the "short" version, not the full on 6 hour certification course. Either one would be a terrific addition to the seminar lineup!! Teaches the basics of how best to relate your location to 911 operator, how to manage the scene - so no additional victims are created, and a bunch of other good stuff. And that was just in the "short" version. The full version does a hands on of how to move a motorcycle safely, how to move an injured person, when necessary. How to remove a helmet (yes, sometimes it IS necessary to take a helmet off).

Those of us who ride out into the countryside can't count on EMT help within 10 minutes, as you can in the suburbs or city limits. Knowing what to do to save a life on the road, is an invaluable tool for one's tool kit of riding knowledge.

There are 2 ASM instructors in MD, 1 in WV and 3(?) in PA who could conceivably be tapped to teach.

P

I just attended a seminar at our MSF update: Accident Scene Management. (snip) The full version does a hands on of how to move a motorcycle safely, how to move an injured person, when necessary. How to remove a helmet (yes, sometimes it IS necessary to take a helmet off).

P

Hi, Lionlady,
3 1/2 years ago I hit a deer at 65mph (110kph) on my K1100LT. I was lucid, but had a number of injuries. When the ambulance arrived with the paramedics, after they had me strapped to a backboard they tried to remove my helmet - WITHOUT releasing the chin strap! I stopped them, released the strap, then told them to proceed. Later, after I was released from the hospital, I returned to the hospital where they are based and presented them with my helmet so they could put it on their crash dummy and practice removing a motorcycle helmet!

I just attended a seminar at our MSF update: Accident Scene Management. It was the "short" version, not the full on 6 hour certification course. Either one would be a terrific addition to the seminar lineup!! Teaches the basics of how best to relate your location to 911 operator, how to manage the scene - so no additional victims are created, and a bunch of other good stuff. And that was just in the "short" version. The full version does a hands on of how to move a motorcycle safely, how to move an injured person, when necessary. How to remove a helmet (yes, sometimes it IS necessary to take a helmet off).

Those of us who ride out into the countryside can't count on EMT help within 10 minutes, as you can in the suburbs or city limits. Knowing what to do to save a life on the road, is an invaluable tool for one's tool kit of riding knowledge.

There are 2 ASM instructors in MD, 1 in WV and 3(?) in PA who could conceivably be tapped to teach.

P

Both Mary and I would love to attend that seminar. Critical seminars like that seem a no-brainer for all of us. We cannot get such a thing here in our part of the world and certainly embrace the idea of it being at the national. - Bob

I have seen some really great seminars at the rallies, how to pick up the machine, how to ride in different conditions etc. One I have not seen and did in school was first aid, this goes along with the suggestions of the above thread. This would be a good one to help prepare us all in the event of the worst occurring. A realistic first aid demonstration on what to do in the event of broken bones, severe bleeding, respiratory problems, etc that would be most likely found at a MC accident site. Many of us ride in the middle of no where or far from hospitals. Knowing how to make a splint or use a triangular piece of material to make a compression bandage or dress a head wound could make a big difference, on or off the road. In my demos I made realistic burns with charcoal, rubber cement, or arterial wounds using morticians wax. The shock of seeing a severe wound can be enough to prevent the immediate actions necessary to save a life or a limb. It would at least be very interesting.

Back