• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Rain Gear

wkottd

I'm looking for suggestions for some new rain gear for My wife and I. We have Tour Master Elite two piece sets now, which is good gear, but the trouble is, when we pack both sets in a compression sack I can squeeze it down to just slightly smaller then the tent.

I've had Dry Rider in the past, which I also liked, but I'm hoping new materials and designs will keep us dry and allow us to move our sleeping bags from the panniers to the top case.

Thanks
Bill

Rain

Bill, I prefer the Aerostich Roadcrafter as a riding suit because it doubles as a rain suit. That eliminates stopping under a bridge to put the rain suit on.

But I still wear non-rainproof suits, too and have not found the ideal packing rain suit. The Road Toad suits by Frogg Toggs are great, but do not pack as small as I would like. But they are relatively small, and are great rain suits. And for a rain suit they are pricey at ~$50, but again, they work and are relatively small.

Hope you find what works for you.

BMW Clima-Comfort Rain Suit

I have a BMW Clima-Comfort Rain Suit and it is the best rainsuit I've
ever owned. It was expensive, but well worth the price. It compacts to
a reasonable size and most important, it breathes when you wear it so
that you don't get sweaty or clammy at all. Don

I'm looking for suggestions for some new rain gear for My wife and I. We have Tour Master Elite two piece sets now, which is good gear, but the trouble is, when we pack both sets in a compression sack I can squeeze it down to just slightly smaller then the tent.

I've had Dry Rider in the past, which I also liked, but I'm hoping new materials and designs will keep us dry and allow us to move our sleeping bags from the panniers to the top case.

Thanks
Bill

My knee-jerk reaction was to recommend the Nelson-Rigg suit, one of which I finally wore out and have now gone out and purchased another identical set (like it a lot!).

However, you place a premium on compact storage of such gear. Hard to beat Frog Toggs for taking up minimal space.

Good Luck in your quest. :bikes

Last edited:
If you have a Bass-Pro Shop near you they have a rain gear department. I went in with all of my gear on and started putting on the differant rain gear they had. I started out with frogg toggs but they don't fold up very small. I went back and got a pant that has a calf zipper & a matching coat. I can put each one in a sandwich bag.

I also like the Frog Toggs. It's not extremely durable but easy to get on, comfortable, inexpensive, and works well. It wouldn't be the best for lots of rain riding but for occasional use, very nice.

I use the BMW ProRain 3 and it is great. RIde all day in a frog stangler down pour and not a drop on me. Can't praise it enough.
and it packs as small or smaller than my wife's Frogg Toggs

I have the Frog Toggs Road Toad set. Rode across the entire province of New Brunswick in the driving rain and still stayed dry. I am happy with this gear and it packs small enough to suit me.
Ross

I have the Frogg Toggs Motorcycle Elite suit in black, as well as the less expensive basic Frogg Toggs suit in yellow. Do a search on E-Bay and you will find good prices. You probably should buy now, because they run out of stock in the summer riding season.

I have tried other suits and they are mostly made of plastic material which won't breathe. Frogg Toggs will breathe and keep you dry. You can't beat Frogg Toggs for the price.

Frogg Toggs for me by a large margin. They breathe so you will not sweat as you ride in and out of rain and sun. They are reasonably priced and pack pretty small by using the stuff sack they come with.

Thanks for the recommendations!
There's no better place to ask for an informed opinion then right here. I'll be going to the Minneapolis bike show this weekend. Hopefully, I'll be able to check out your suggestions.

Bill

Bill

I use a lightweight roll top dry bag for my rain gear (and for my bike cover as well). Squeezing out the air and keeping it out is the key to reducing bulk). REI has lightweight waterproof "ditty sacks" - I use a 3 liter sack for my rain gear. If you have an REI near you, you can pick up a florescent orange one.

P

I've got some Guide gear from Cabella's that both top and bottom pack into a 6 inch wide x 6 inch tall cylinder. Absolutely waterproof at speed as well. Pants have an full lenght outside zip for ease of on/off under the bridge.

Frogg Toggs may breathe better than a lot of the alternatives, but if you travel all day in the rain at highway speeds, you still get wet. I bought a brand new set in Mesa last fall on my way home to Vancouver and found that while they did work better than my nylon rain suit the same old problem every motorcycle suit I have ever owned was back again. Wet crotch syndrome.

It seems inevitable. Rain hits your helmet and a bit hits your chest and it just drips straight down all day and puddles. Eventually it soaks through the zipper or the seams of the cavity in the front of any pants and you get wet.

If you live in the Pacific Northwest and ride all year round or any great distance in constant rain, you're going to get wet.

Frogg Toggs may breathe better than a lot of the alternatives, but if you travel all day in the rain at highway speeds, you still get wet. I bought a brand new set in Mesa last fall on my way home to Vancouver and found that while they did work better than my nylon rain suit the same old problem every motorcycle suit I have ever owned was back again. Wet crotch syndrome.

It seems inevitable. Rain hits your helmet and a bit hits your chest and it just drips straight down all day and puddles. Eventually it soaks through the zipper or the seams of the cavity in the front of any pants and you get wet.

If you live in the Pacific Northwest and ride all year round or any great distance in constant rain, you're going to get wet.

I thought that was just me, and I was too embarrassed to talk about it.

Thanks for sharing! :D

Just curious, is anyone, or has anyone (and regretted it), used marine grade foul weather gear (foulies) for motorcycling?

I have an old, worn, set that I sail in but I haven't tried them at anywhere near 70mph. I'm pretty sure the jacket would turn into a kite, but the bibs would probably work okay. They have reinforced seat and knees, suspenders, full-length zipper (with storm flap), velcro closures around the ankles, and I know for a fact that they keep me dry even while seated for long periods. An appropriate jacket would be what I need.

Since it generally doesn't rain out here in CA enough to schedule a test-ride I'd hate to set out on a trip under the assumption that my trusty old sailing gear would keep me dry on the road.

11499720S.jpg

i have a Triumph ( yep- Hinckley Triumph as in motorcycles)
one-piece rain suit. about 125.00 a couple years back. works really well, and has it's own *case* which is also water proof. compresses into the case, about 6" X 8" X 10"/12". i've ridden all over England, and in severe rain storms here in the USA- very happy with it, AND it has a fair bit of retro-reflective material so boosts visibility in inclement weather.

one bad(?) thing- no outside access to pants pockets. once you get it on, you wanna hope you have all you need either in a tank bag or somehow accessible- on the plus side of that? there are 4 sizable exterior pockets with velcro closures that work well and are secure enough to keep valuables dry and safe.

another note- they run big. i have a medium and it is huge. try it on before you buy.

rain gear

I'm with Greg on this one. We use textile jackets and pants that are waterproof to eliminate the need for additional gear. Our only concession is we carry mesh jackets as we have not yet found a combo that will cover that. There are plenty of options for waterpoof jackets and pants.

Rain Suit

Bill,
I am extremely pleased with the Aerostitch Roadcrafter and Aerostitch Darien Suits. You do not have to pack extra rain gear and there is excellent abrasion resistance and padding on the suits, The only problem with the Darien Pants is they are too tight in the groin area, they have an Aerostitch AD-1 Pants that has a fuller cut and diamond crotch gusset for more comfort, i just wear blue jeans and a long sleeve shirt under the one piece Roadcrafter or two piece Darien. I have ridden through Florida's torrential rain storms with the Aerostitch suits and did not get wet! NO distractions, or decrease in body temperature! When i go for a ride with a group and it starts to rain, a majority of the people have to pull off and put on their rain gear, i just sit comfortable and welcome any rain!

Back