• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1300S Windscreen

dukekaboom

One Man Wolfpack
BMW MOAers,

I have a beautiful 2009 K1300S that I thoroughly enjoy however at speeds in excess of 60 mph the wind passing over my stock windscreen is sufficiently strong that it buffets my head causing discomfort. At anything above 70 mph, it feels like I'm going fifteen rounds with Mike Tyson.

Have any of you fitted your K13S's with an optional BMW or aftermarket screen that passes the airflow over your helmets somewhat better at higher speeds? I'm about 5'9" so I'm no giant and I don't like laying prone on the tank to spare my noggin from a beating at speed so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Kent

Windscreens

I had something similar, though not as bad as you describe, probably owning to differences in physical size or riding position. Anyway, I wanted to correct the issue if possible.

The guy at Parabellum was generous with his time and knowledge, and said that he would have to rebuilt the front of the fairing to do anything about improving the windscreen. There isn't enough market.

I tried a "Laminar Lip" which did nothing. Returned it and was assessed a restocking fee, which wasn't bad considering.

MSR has something similar to the Laminar Lip, but has a smoky color and the "lip" is adjustable. It also provides pretty weak improvement in the wind protection department (picture below).

Because I have never had a windshield up until that point, this was a minor irritation to me, and I was happy enough with the bike that I learned to appreciate the "clean air stream".

Its those darn tickets that get to me...

P1010801.jpg

Last edited:
Please move to wedgies

I have the 1300S and do find that it is a bit rough at higher sustained speeds, especially over 75. I have been toying with the idea of having brackets made up to slip under the mirror mounts (sort of like some of the PIAA light mounts available), and a similar attachment lower down, then mount my clear Tall or smoke 'sport' Aeroflow from my K1200RS. Yet to do it, but if I did much sustained freeway riding with it, for sure I would investigate further. With my white/silver grey/ whatever color, the clear would look much better, but might be too tall. Other riders my height (6', 33 inseam) have come through town with the MRA (?) and say that is the first change they would recommend for anyone. Of course, they are more like me in that they are riding up the coast, etc, not much freeway stuff.

A different kind of fix is trying a different helmet...the Nolans we have buffet less than the HJC ...the little flip on the back of the helmet on some mfg's changes the airflow. Since we can legally ride 80 in places, we get to try it often.
I am 6-1 and Helen is 5-7...when we ride our S's, they work your head more than the taller screens of our R bikes, but the helmet change is noticeable between the two brands we have. I have not tried the Caberg I bought years ago on the S, it too has a spolier on the rear.
Also noticed the stock screen with the small lip is better at disrupting the wind than the aftermarket MRA that came on one without the lip. Helen could feel it a lot with the MRA
I guess everyone is different in how things feel and work for them.

BMW MOAers,

I have a beautiful 2009 K1300S that I thoroughly enjoy however at speeds in excess of 60 mph the wind passing over my stock windscreen is sufficiently strong that it buffets my head causing discomfort. At anything above 70 mph, it feels like I'm going fifteen rounds with Mike Tyson.

Have any of you fitted your K13S's with an optional BMW or aftermarket screen that passes the airflow over your helmets somewhat better at higher speeds? I'm about 5'9" so I'm no giant and I don't like laying prone on the tank to spare my noggin from a beating at speed so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Kent

Maybe the low seat will help get you down out of the wind.

K1200GT windshield problem solved

I tried the stock BMW tall windshield and experienced the same buffeting and helicopter whump whump that drove me nuts. Next went to a CeeBailey taller and wider windshield. Result was an improvement but still now what I was looking for. Last year I purchased an Aero Flow wind screen and have been very pleased with the results. Paige Ortez the owner called me regarding a web inquiry that I made on the website and put me in touch with one of his customers who had the same complaints as I did. His customer convinced me that I would be happy with my purchase and I am. I also bought the side deflectors or the whole package. Made a big difference to the bike.

Jim
704-604-1776
'08 1200GT

Kent, I know your post is a little old by now, but I wanted to throw my thoughts about your buffeting problem. I don't have a buffeting problem using the stock shield of a K1200S. I suggest you raise up in the saddle to see if the buffeting stops. If you get smooth air flow at a higher elevation of your head, then you might be helped by a lower shield. You might try riding with the shield removed to see if the buffeting stops. If that helps, then consider finding a very small shield or doing some surgery to lower a stock shield. If you get clean air flowing over your helmet, and it still buffets, I think the problem might be with your helmet.

Kent, I know your post is a little old by now, but I wanted to throw my thoughts about your buffeting problem. I don't have a buffeting problem using the stock shield of a K1200S. I suggest you raise up in the saddle to see if the buffeting stops. If you get smooth air flow at a higher elevation of your head, then you might be helped by a lower shield. You might try riding with the shield removed to see if the buffeting stops. If that helps, then consider finding a very small shield or doing some surgery to lower a stock shield. If you get clean air flowing over your helmet, and it still buffets, I think the problem might be with your helmet.

Folks, I have a Vemar Jiano helmet, am 5'9" and have a 31" inseam. I'd be curious if any of you have a similar stature and helmet and have had the buffeting problem with this helmet. I will experiment with sitting more erect in the seat to see if that changes anything (can't say I really thought about that but it could be). Thanks.

Have an MRA touring screen on my 1300S and wear a Schuberth C3. No buffeting except maybe a little when above 120..............

ht & inseam?

97262, What is your height and inseam? I am also considering a move to the MRA and am curious how the work for folks my height, etc. Me: 185 lb, 5' 11", 33 inseam. (Old Shoe needing replacement.)

Back