• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Highway 2

TZOLK

Anyone here taken Highway 2 from maybe Idaho to Michigan. Just wondering on what its like, what to look for, any boring stretches, navigating speed/time ,anything whatsoever. Plan on doing it this fall and would love to hear anyones tale

I have taken sections of it, and it was nice. Talking/reading from some of the people on the forum it sounds like Highway 2 is nice.

Whoah.... Brad.... back up. Your exhausting description of Highway 2 from start to finish had my eyes glued to the screen; The Hills, The Valleys ,Im still having a hard time taking it all in. So much to see apparently, to read. Ill have to keep coming back to this ..... pick up where I left off......... :D

Rode the stretch from Williston, SD to Havre, MT in 2003. Buford, Ft. Union and the Confluence Center just west of Williston are worth a stop, also Ft. Peck dam. Good road with little traffic, but 100 degree temps and a bugger of a crosswind in early Sept. Was on 2 between Sand Point, ID and Kalispell a couple years earlier. Gotta see Glacier. Sandpoint area traffic is a real mess. Head south and spend some time at Coeur d'Alene.

Funny you should mention Sandpoint, because that is our destination. Were going there to see a bud of mine. That 100 degree stuff doesnt sound too atractive though. Maybe we'll come down from Canada... From Michigan ultimately.

xgman said:
Rode the stretch from Williston, SD

Another guy who doesn't want to acknowledge that North Dakota exists! :stick Just kidding, I'm sure that was a typo. Williston, ND. Hwy 2 runs right through it.

Sorry about that....sure was a typo. My grandmother was born & raised in Munich, so I certainly acknowledge North Dakota. On that ride I was following the Lewis & Clark route from St. Louis to Missoula and rode through North Dakota along the Missouri River from South Dakota to Washburn, then west on 200 and, after overnighting in Beulah, west to 85 and north to Williston. Also had a great tour of Teddy Roosevelt NP, a fantastic place!

You went right by me! I'm 50 miles west of Beulah. I hit the TRNP several times a summer, it's within 60 miles and makes for a fantastic evening ride with the wife.

Highway 2 across WI is a nice ride. Nice overlooks of the big lake. Decent road, lots of trees.
Mark

I drive No. 2 from Deer River, (Grand Rapids, MN) to Ashland, WI in the Co. Cage. Most 0f it is good road, frequent passing lanes to let you by the overloaded pick up trucks, and let the grain trucks pass at what seems like triple digit speeds. Watch out for forest rats (deer) throughout this whole section.

The section from Grand Rapids, MN to near Cloquet, MN is flat to low rolling hills, passing through the infamous bogs. A good truck stop for food/gas is at Swan River, about 15 minutes east of Grand Rapids. From there you get into the Duluth, MN and Superior, WI traffic. It may be of interest to you to take the turn at Proctor, MN to I-35 Northbound and the I-535 bridge to Superior, WI to save many stops in industrial and downtown areas of the "Twin Ports".

The scenery gets better into WI. rolling hills and sweeping curves through the woods. If you are looking for a side trip that will add about an hour to the segment to Ashland, take Hwy 13 around the penninsula. It takes you along the south shore of Lake Superior and around some interesting twisties. Bayfield is an interesting stop. Maggies is the place for a fantastic dinner. Have time? Take the ferry to Madeline Is. and drive the loop around it.

Jim

I rode Rt-2 from Spokane to Duluth last year . Almost ran out of fuel 2 times .
You're by yourself in Montanna & most of North Dakota. I stayed in Shelby, Montana. ( Glacier Motel & RV Park $36.95) Minot ND (Ho-Hum Inn $26.95) & then Duluth at the 6, before going to Riderwearhouse and then home. Gets more interesting the more you head East. You'll be lucky to see many of vehicles in Montana. I rode 65 miles East before I saw 1 car. There was a section where there was no-one for a long time (or fuel) . :doh

About 10 years ago I drove from Seattle to Traverse City, MI (hometown) on Hwy 2, It was great. This road has a very wide range of terrain, scenery & lots of great little towns full of nice people.

Boring

I rode the same route as SHAG only headed west to Spokane last year. Single word about describes it BORING couple of decent little spots in North Dakota with good views of the fields for a long distance but once you get into MT it is pretty much flat, HOT, straight and boring. Then you get to Glacier, THAT IS A TREAT.

13048206-L.jpg

Side Road, the one I am on is straight

13048200-M.jpg

THE TREAT

Here is a link to some pictures I took on the trip. http://dzimbric.smugmug.com/gallery/328093/1/13048206

Look Out for Police

I have not driven on that strech on my motorcycle, but plan on taking it across Michigan this summer on a trip out to Mt. Rushmore. The only advice that I can give and many of my college friends can give is to watch out around those corners for police. Just like deer or skunks, you just never know where they are going to be on the section that runs through Michigan.

Hey

I have never done the East side but I have done the West side many times .. I prefere Highway 20 which is north also called the Cascades Highway.

It extreemly good all the way into Montanna

Geoff

Back