• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

helmet brake light question?

mark from maine

Hi folks, I just purchased an LED Helmet Brake Light kit from Whitehorse Press. This is the kit that comes with a #1157 LED bulb with transmitter and a LED light strip with batteries that attaches to a helmet with included adhesive pads. Operates by replacing standard taillight bulb with the above mentioned LED bulb. When brake light is activated it sends a signal to the LED light bar.

The fine print on the package says "when installing a 1157 wireless transmittter brake light on motorcycles equipped with ECS(Electric Computer System) install a LR-6-50 resister( not included) as well, for interference free transmission to your wireless LED helmet brake light receiver."

My question is, does my 98 R1100 RT have an Electric Computer System that will require the use of the LR-6-50 resister,(what ever that is)?

Thanks,
Mark

Thanks for the link Kewlmoose, now I know what the resister is and its purpose. Does anyone know if my bike will require the addition of the resister?

I see that the resister would tap into the existing brake wiring. I never like the idea of using the splice connectors to tap into the original wiring, just seems like I would be inviting trouble such as corrosion down the road.

Mark

If your turn light blinks at a standard rate (1 per second) you don't need the resistOOOr.

Which also indicates you have an electronic relais for the turn lights.

Newer Beemers (1200) with CanBus would need the extra resistor to fool the highly-over-engineered onboard computer system.

Guenther (with good ole R100GS)

Back