• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Broken Zipper

what was the name of the sailing place that did your jacket? Was it actually in Pismo?

Dr.Ciao... it's Pete's Upholstery, in Grover Beach. If you are familiar with the area he's at 1085 Grand Avenue, across the street from Miner's Ace Hardware.

He's been there for years and does great work.

Bob Weis (post #6) gave some GREAT advice. Maybe he can elaborate and "zippers" become a sticky in this forum. We all have more plastic zippers than we can count. Maybe he (or you) can answer my first question: what common products contain silicone for cleaning and "greasing" zippers? Most of these automotive products don't list ingredients. Is WD40 good? I've been using something called "Eagle One Protectant" with good results, but you probably wouldn't find it in the US.

If you have a zipper that starts then separates, here is my addition to Bob Weis' advice: After cleaning and lubing the zipper, make sure the slider is all the way down then insert the little metal tab all the way and zip up only a couple inches. If the zipper separate, un-zip pulling gently on alternate sides. Take a very close look at the gap in the slider where it meets the gap in the little metal gizmo at the bottom. If it is wider, THIS is what you want to gently squeeze with a needle nose plier. When that gap is identical, the zipper should work, assuming something else hasn't been wrecked.

Worked for me on a very nice rain jacket which hasn't zipped for over a year. God, I love this forum!

What Doug describes is basically what I said. The zipper teeth have to align in 2 planes, side to side and front to back. Squeezing the slider closed regains the front to back alignment. Just don't squeeze it to the point it drags on the fabric portion of the zipper.
For lube I used straight silicone spray, found in the auto parts store. I has less 'oil' to attract and grab dirt than WD-40.

Bob Weis (post #6) gave some GREAT advice. Maybe he can elaborate and "zippers" become a sticky in this forum.
It may not make it as a sticky but I have added "tags" to make it easier to search in the future.
what common products contain silicone for cleaning and "greasing" zippers?
I actually use a lot of products from the marine industry and marine supply such as West Marine. The other day when I was there I picked up a tube of Star Bright Snap and Zipper lubricant with white PTEF. This product works well on keeping a zipper moving. Hint-once applied let it set in the sun to allow it to melt in :thumb

If you have a zipper that starts then separates, here is my addition to Bob Weis' advice: After cleaning and lubing the zipper, make sure the slider is all the way down then insert the little metal tab all the way and zip up only a couple inches. If the zipper separate, un-zip pulling gently on alternate sides. Take a very close look at the gap in the slider where it meets the gap in the little metal gizmo at the bottom. If it is wider, THIS is what you want to gently squeeze with a needle nose plier. When that gap is identical, the zipper should work, assuming something else hasn't been wrecked.

Worked for me on a very nice rain jacket which hasn't zipped for over a year. God, I love this forum!
Another great hint!

Back