Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Broken Zipper

DrCiao

Broken Zipper

So, the zipper on my Reflect Leather Jacket isn't doing so well. You zip it up and the zipper splits. Anyone ever have a zipper replaced? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by DrCiao View Post
    So, the zipper on my Reflect Leather Jacket isn't doing so well. You zip it up and the zipper splits. Anyone ever have a zipper replaced? Thoughts?
    Not familiar with the jacket but if you don't have someone locally that does alterations a good source for the service is the local drycleaner. Sometimes a cobbler with a more stout machine is needed for leather. Really not a bad fix.
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

I got a zipper replaced on my riding pants by a leather shop.

Ute's Chauffeur
    If you have trouble locally Rainy Pass does warranty work for BMW apparel, as well as, for individuals. http://www.rainypass.com/services.htm

Quote Originally Posted by cruisincruzan View Post
    If you have trouble locally Rainy Pass does warranty work for BMW apparel, as well as, for individuals. http://www.rainypass.com/services.htm
    That looks like a good resource.
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Zipper preventive maintenance & repair

This is on my website from when I used to repair tankbags:
    Here is your chance to "do it yourself" following these simple directions. First it is important to clean and lubricate your tankbag zippers. They are full of the road grime that you routinely wash off of your bike. I use a silicon spray, apply liberally, wipe zipper with a clean rag, reapply and operate the slide. What a difference!

You should also be aware that most, but not all BMW tankbags use locking tab zippers. To release the lock you pull out on the pull tab, perpendicular from the direction of the slide travel.

If you have a zipper that seperates after being closed, you can often repair this by squeezing the slide together with a pair of pliers. You want to squeeze it just slightly, not to the point that the slide binds on the cloth portion of the zipper.

Note: This method works on any zipper that is not too worn, including jackets, pants and Stitches. Lube your tent zippers too, nothing worse than a 2AM nature call and being unable to get out!
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

Is there any chance you can send the jacket back to the manufacturer and get them to repair it? I did that with a pair of pants where the long leg zipper failed.

DrCiao
    I asked the shop where I got the jacket and they said it was just out of warranty, so sending it to BMW wasn't going to happen. They had a local person they used for repairs, but as I live over an hour away, I kept the jacket for a safe and warm ride home.

Sometimes a cobbler with a more stout machine is needed for leather.

I'd take it to a local "canvas" shop. The guy down the street did the zippers on my sailing foulies and they turned out great. I think he charged $20 for the zippers and labor for the bibs, and the jacket.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Yup, either a shoe repair place, they do more than shoes, like purses, etc. Or a good dry cleaner. Last year I had a jacket zipper replaced. I went to the fabric store and picked out one I liked, the same length as the one on my jacket. The teeth were much larger. I then took the jacket and the zipper to a dry cleaner that does alterations....and they replaced the zipper for about 25 bucks. Bargain! Jacket is as good as new.
    BTW, my zipper was doing the same thing as yours....those little teeth get worn out.

Talking Rainy Pass +1

Have had VERY good repair work done @ Rainy Pass...nice peeps too!!
    Heed NEAD: No Egos, Attitudes, Distractions!!!!!
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider

DrCiao
    Are we doing metal or plastic zippers? Metal will scratch the paint?

I found a local shop that wants $45 to do the zipper. That's not including the zipper itself.

Are we doing metal or plastic zippers? Metal will scratch the paint?
    Plastic will scratch the paint too ... ask me how I know this.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

DrCiao
    Yikes, sorry to hear that.

Sometimes your slider gets out of whack. I'd take a long look at it, and a slider on a working item and see if you notice a difference in clearances etc. Sometimes a firm grip with a leatherman or needle nose and you are back in business. They can "loosen" if they get pulled or tweaked too hard.

Maybe you did this already, and I'm insulting your intelligence. But if someone else looks here and is having this problem give it a shot.

Rob
    Rob R
    1994 K75 My first bike.