• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

a Hankerin'

ricochetrider

Out There Somewhere
late model airhead or K1200GT?

howdy folks.
i have a *hankerin* for a K1200GT. which i am trying to legitimize, i suppose. or find out fer sure if it's real or not. or if this *hankerin* is just a *pipe dream*.

there is something about the lines of the K12GT that makes me keep coming back to this idea. when i saw the first one ever, i realized this is what a modern motorcycle should be (to me).
i have been thinking i would either go with an '06 or '07.
help me out here, gang. what's the difference(s) betwixt the two?

let me say that i am coming out of the world of vintage bikes. first i had/have old Triumphs. now i have two. and a 1974 Norton 850 Commando. i have moved closer and closer to *modern* technology, two wheel style, and currently own both a 1988 K100 RS (my first Beemer) and a 1993 R100 RS, which i LOVE. i used to have an '88 R100RT, which i sold to get the RS.

do i toss the *Brick* out the window? do i ditch the *Airhead*- my organic, analog friend- the last of the renowned RS Airhead series..... for this.... this..... *Wedge*? if i sold off the K100, the RS and perhaps my Bonneville, the price of an 06 or 07 might be very nearly a wash.

opinions anyone?

Last edited:
I'm not the guy to ask cause I bin a hankerin too.

I'm flip-flopping between cashing in some investments and buying one,or hanging on to my current ride a while longer.

I'm currently looking at an 08. From what I can figure, the 07 may or may not have the servo brakes while the 06 does, and the 07 may or may not have drain and refill plugs in the FD. Its kind of uncertain from what info I could find.

I'd like to know if the 08 has any residual issues from the earlier years or was it pretty well sorted? Did BMW do any important changes to the model?

I made the switch to an '07 KGT last year and am happy I did! Now, if I can avoid some of the mechanical pitfalls that have plagued this model, I'll be even happier.:D

You are right though, it's a beaut! And Faaaaaaaaaaaast!

My opinion

I've owned and ridden many European bikes, some along the lines of which you currently own, and I've ridden a new gen KGT. As much as I love BMW's my initial impression of the KGT is that is was very machine-like in character. Actually, it has no character, no soul, nothing. Be advised that you will in essence be going from the MC equivalent of a TR6 to a Honda Accord. Both are fun to operate but only one will really turn you crank if you know what I mean.

That being said I really like my K12s but often find myself lusting for another '04 KRS like I used to own. Yes, it's an inferior bike compared to the K12s but it had.....soul.

Regardless, good luck with your choice and ride safe!

The GT's are fantastic bikes.
I have a '92 K75S that I love, but it doesn't get ridden much anymore.

Differences in years:
I had an '06 GT that was taken away from me by an errant driver. I replaced it with an '08.
The '06 had servo assisted brakes. They made a whining noise while at a stop and holding brake. The '08 is not servo assisted, and the brakes work equally as well as the '06.
BIG DIFFERENCE IN THE SEAT!!!
The stock seat on the '06 SUCKS (IMO). I hated it and bought a Sargent for it. The stock seat always made me feel like I was sliding forward, and the rear portion had very little padding. It was horrible.
BUT...the stock seat on the '08 is very comfortable. I feel no need to replace it. The '06 seat is unique to the GT's, and was re-engineered the following year (probably because it sucked so bad).
If you do end up buying an '06, I have a brand new Sargent seat for it that I'll sell you for a great price. It's heated and has less than 20 miles on it. I salvaged it from the totaled bike, it was completely untouched. As a matter of fact, that seat and the right side saddlebag were the only undamaged parts of the bike. I also have the 49 litre topcase (it wasn't on the bike) if you are interested.

Also, if you find a GT with the "safety package", it's worth the extra cash. It includes ASC and TPM, both of which are very nice to have. The TPM keeps you from having to bend over and get your hands dirty every few days (checking tire pressure), and I found that the ASC will keep the front wheel planted on the ground when you get the urge to open the throttle past the point of sensibility.

It's a wonderful bike, you won't be disappointed.

i've decided to try to trade in my 88 K100 AND my 79 Triumph Bonneville on a used (09) triumph Sprint and keep the R100RS, and the Norton and the triumph Bobber...
there are two local dealerships who have used Sprints on hand!

as much as i like the aesthetics of the K1200GT, i just can't bear to give up that 1993 R100RS. my *modern* bike will be the Triumph, it seems.

thanks for all the replies tho.

Back