• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Food Vendors @ the 2011 Rally

City Chicken

I haven't had city chicken since I left for college in 1959. I always thought it was made from mystery meat.

You must have missed his blog in the MOA a couple of years ago...

http://jackriepe.blogspot.com/2010/06/if-you-cant-stand-heat-stay-out-of.html

Clay
Kimberton,Pa.

thats was some funny stuff...
"The guys were soon passing this gadget around and measuring the temperature of everything. I was bending over my bike at that moment and heard them log my butt in at 108 degrees.

ÔÇ£I donÔÇÖt care how hot that gets, IÔÇÖm not cooking my lunch there,ÔÇØ said Rich Cavaliere."

Ah, city chicken, halushka, hrudka, I grew up on that stuff. Pierogies too. How about some good stuffed cabbage, chicken paprikas, or potato soup. Even green been soup. Good peasant food!

Gee, I've never heard of half of that stuff. I guess it doesn't make it to my side of the Susquehanna.

Yes, you are on the sorry side of the state. For food that is. The Hard Coal is the best non-urban region of PA for food. Thankfully, the Poles and Ukrainians came and saved us from the PA Dutch. Avoiding any restaurant that advertises "PA Dutch" is usually best.

I grew up on PA Dutch food and crave good chicken pot pie. No one could make it like my step mom.

My hubby and inlaws introduced me to Polish/Slovak food. In fact, I'll be spending the day making cabbage rolls and homemade pierogi today. :heart

I've found that shoo fly pie is very useful for on-the-road repairs. It's kind of a cross between spackle and Gorilla Glue.

Spackle is more useful and Gorilla glue, probably, tastes better.

Honestly, I have a sneaking suspicion that shoo-fly is really a demonic juxtaposition of PA Dutch and colonial English (the molasses) cooking. Always remember, these people might have been asked to leave Europe for good reason.

I grew up on PA Dutch food and crave good chicken pot pie. No one could make it like my step mom.

My hubby and inlaws introduced me to Polish/Slovak food. In fact, I'll be spending the day making cabbage rolls and homemade pierogi today. :heart

Real PA Pot pie? Crust baked on top or cut in strips and stewed with the meat and veggies? You pick the wrong one and we'll know you're a poser!

Cabbage rolls and Pierogi, that qualifies as ethnic food in PA Dutch country. Do you eat that with chopsticks?:)

Spackle is more useful and Gorilla glue, probably, tastes better.

Honestly, I have a sneaking suspicion that shoo-fly is really a demonic juxtaposition of PA Dutch and colonial English (the molasses) cooking. Always remember, these people might have been asked to leave Europe for good reason.

Hey! HEY!! My wife is PA Dutch on both sides and makes a GREAT shoo fly pie! Her mom used to make scrapple and quince pie, too, and I liked both of those, but she's been gone for more than 10 years and nobody else in the family cares about it.

But I do have to admit that the one time I rode through Amish country and tried the shoo fly pie at a restaurant, I was sorely disappointed.

My SIL is over and she's promising a turkey pot pie tonight. YUM.

Hey! HEY!! My wife is PA Dutch on both sides and makes a GREAT shoo fly pie! Her mom used to make scrapple and quince pie, too, and I liked both of those, but she's been gone for more than 10 years and nobody else in the family cares about it.

But I do have to admit that the one time I rode through Amish country and tried the shoo fly pie at a restaurant, I was sorely disappointed.

My SIL is over and she's promising a turkey pot pie tonight. YUM.

Did you ever notice that most all PA Dutch food is yellow?

You have me on quinces. I've never had a PA Dutch dish made with quinces. Did you ever try Mincemeat pie?

Did you ever notice that most all PA Dutch food is yellow?

You have me on quinces. I've never had a PA Dutch dish made with quinces. Did you ever try Mincemeat pie?

Yellow food? If your shoo fly pies are yellow, it's no wonder that you don't like them.

Yep, MIL used make mincemeat pies, too. And we have pork roast with sauerkraut on New Years Day for good luck. And then there's the hot lettuce recipe...

As long as they have the usual fare.....burgers, ice cream, breakfast food and pizza, I can survive. Each rally has individual local favorites, but none have ever been as good as the bbq brisket from Phil's BBQ Pit at the Johnson City rally.
I even ordered some of their sauce to be sent to my home .

Back