• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Food Vendors @ the 2011 Rally

I look forward to trying a lot of local and regional food at and near the rally.

I loved the food at Johnson City but it was the same food I eat every day and some of it was prepared by the same people.

I once thought I knew what Cajun food tasted like. But when I went to New Orleans, I found out pretend Cajun food is not nearly as good as the real stuff.

We're only a couple of days into March but the rally food is cookin'!

Right now, we have 20 food vendors chosen along with five 'snack' vendors (ice cream, nachos, peanuts, candy, popcorn, etc.) The snack vendors will be close to the commercial vendors, MOA Country Store and Vintage display. The rest of the food vendors will be lined up a short distance away. There will be vendors very close to the stage and beer garden and we have a commitment from many of them to stay open until 11:00 pm. And one big advantage of the Bloomsburg Fairgrounds - it's 100% wired for electricity. That means no noisy generators.

Now that we are pretty much done with food vendor selection, I'll be concentrating on menus. Our goal is to provide unique foods at each vendor so there will be lots of variety. Don't worry, there will be plenty of pizza, burgers and french fries available, but there will also be Mongolian BBQ, sweet corn, salads, Cajun-infused sausage, and of course, chicken & waffles.

Prices? You'd have a hard time spending $10 on any meal. The breakfast buffets will be around $8 for a full spread with coffee & juices. And dinner plates will be about the same. Dessert options will be plentiful. Also, I'm requesting that all vendors sell bottled water for $1.

Finally, I haven't forgotten those of you that have special dietary needs. I'm searching the vendor menus for vegetarian and gluten-free options and will have the vendors specifically advertise those foods at their stands.

My only request to the MOA membership is that you give the vendors a chance to serve you. We're expecting a record crowd this year and believe that there will be plenty of good food options within the Fairgrounds. As soon as the menus are finalized, I'll post up the list so y'all can start planning your daily meals.

Edit: Forgot to mention the round-the-clock pig roasting, fish fry, BBQ chicken and smoked beef.

Last edited:
Say cheese

Why don't you re-read the intent of my first post...

Clay

Maybe my comprehension skills are lacking from early retirement but here is what I am thinking.

#1. I doubt they would wish to invest in a 4 day event when they can expand in the Middle East. I appears their reach is not needed in central Pennsylvania because most Mid-Atlantic residents already know them.

#2. The MOA is trying to keep as much economic impact as we can in the local community. In return the Chamber of Commerce may extend a greater hand thus making the trade show with camping a profitable enterprise and keep our membership dues in check.

#3. We are fortuate to have the vendors available when you consider that the Hughesville Fair and Danville Heritage Days are going on the same weekend.

#4. Once the menu's are available, I will list alternative options within the community since most of us will be going off grounds. For example the best pizza is from Naples, Italy and Old Forge, Pa has two families that have been doing pizza since they arrived here. Or the best Kielbasa is in Plymonth, Nanticoke and Shenandoah. I know its not up to the great brats of German Heritage but Poland has been part of Germany so "I" can't tell a differance except a spice or two...........I need retraining !

BTW the Shenandoah business ships their Kielbasa to the Middle East ...... to our troops.

#5. Then again who knows there maybe a Philly Cheesesteak to clog an artery and test Geisingers new Heart Hospital just down the road. :ha

I sense either Union thinking has infiltrated with collective bargaining threats..or..a rather large(family owned) food distribution organization has entered someone's decision making.. Approx 80+ posts to this thread says their tired of Fast Foods and go with local cuizine..Pass the cheese wiz please:nyah

Union ! Among the Fishing Creek Confederacy ? :eek

I am all for local ! Matter a fact Columbia County is ranked 15th out of 26 Agriculture counties statewide and when you take in its size and Pennsylvania being ranked sixth in the nation that says alot......... plus lets not forget that this area fed the industrial revolution so certainly we don't need any krafty nor south Philly inluence ramming stuff down our blow hole. I don't think it will happen.........furthermore Jeff is a geek not a fishmonger and we are not eating software.

Now Clay, you have me hungry, my bike and rain gear is waiting for me so I am off to Tamaqua. Take a ride over someday we'll scout out some new places. :wave

As Cheez Whiz is not real cheese (the technical term is "processed cheese food", and yes, there is a difference), it stands to reason that a you cannot glop it on a steak and call it a cheesesteak.

And as one who works for the large(est) food distribution center, may I add that to my customers, I am local. I work, and I spend my locally earned pay check signed by the big corporate honch at their locally owned, independant establishments.

Eat local, whatever they are serving! Pass the keilbasa and pierogi. :thumb

The fresh food vendor at Johnson City was the best. I would hope there will be another this year.:thumb

The fresh food vendor at Johnson City was the best. I would hope there will be another this year.:thumb

By "fresh food", do you mean fresh fruit?

There is one vendor (Boots) in the greater Bloomsburg area that does a fresh fruit stand. He was my first call back in early January. And he already committed to vend at a neighboring county fair. Several people tried to convince him to quit that fair and vend at our rally. He declined since the fair is a 10-day event and he'd lose his deposit and be in poor standing for next year.

Other vendors I spoke with said that they could do fresh fruit but it wouldn't be as good as Boots' product.

I'm not giving up on finding someone to take his place but it will be a challenge to meet our high expectations.

I hear rumors that there will be a convoy of Tofu trucks head'n to Bloomsburg courtesy of a 'certain' major food distributor:nyah

Yes it's true. An arrangement has been make to use artificial tofu based meat in the preparation of Philly Cheese Steaks.

Bokrijder

Yes it's true. An arrangement has been make to use artificial tofu based meat in the preparation of Philly Cheese Steaks.

Bokrijder

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

BTW, nice meeting you Myrl. I hope Matt wasn't riding too much like a hoon. Hope to ride with you again.

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

BTW, nice meeting you Myrl. I hope Matt wasn't riding too much like a hoon. Hope to ride with you again.

Too much like a hoon --- NO no, not at all !! Nice morning, see you again

edit - what's a hoon, new term to me, anyway it was all good

Bokrijder

Yes, fresh fruit and veggies. Maybe a local supermarket might belly up?

Thanks for your efforts!

By "fresh food", do you mean fresh fruit?

There is one vendor (Boots) in the greater Bloomsburg area that does a fresh fruit stand. He was my first call back in early January. And he already committed to vend at a neighboring county fair. Several people tried to convince him to quit that fair and vend at our rally. He declined since the fair is a 10-day event and he'd lose his deposit and be in poor standing for next year.

Other vendors I spoke with said that they could do fresh fruit but it wouldn't be as good as Boots' product.

I'm not giving up on finding someone to take his place but it will be a challenge to meet our high expectations.

For fresh fruits and vegetables, we will have a Farmer's Market on-site. Stay tuned for more details.

Jeff,
If no one has said so, let me say THANK YOU! on behalf of us all who like to be well fed. I know yours is not an easy task.

I received some good news last week. The German food vendor known as The German Corner is coming to Bloomsburg! My understanding is that they have vended at our rallies in Ohio, Wisconsin and Tennessee. :german

I have positive confirmation from around 20 of my 25 food vendors and will be making more calls this week to get a firm answer from the remaining few.

April 1st

;) Well..it's just been announced by the MOA BOD that the critically acclaimed TV chef Bobby Flay has 'Thrown Down' the Gauntlet by taking part in this years Rally with his show...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/throwdown-with-bobby-flay/index.html

..he will be challenging the various vendors to their specialties and the fun part will be the Rally participants will be the judges..:dance:lurk:thumb

Again we want to thank the MOA BOD in their 'outside the box' thinking with this one!!;)

Back