• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Heated jacket liner

zigzag

After 10 yrs of using my BMW heated vest have decided to get a heated liner instead. Have a Olympia waste cut jacket and First Gear overpants that I always wear but don't want a liner thats too bulky and makes me feel like I'm getting choked. Been looking at First Gear and Tour Master brands. Any input on these would be helpful or any other brand that has held up well. Thanks for any info.:dance

Last year I replaced my Saingear heated vest with a Gerbings microwire heated liner. It was a nice upgrade. It's comfortable, heats up fast, is well made, and packs small. Instead of a heat-troller I installed a switched plug wired directly to the battery in the radio delete plate on my 09' RT. This gives me the added benefit of a fuse instead of the CAN-bus and being able to use a standard battery tender with the switch on.
Bill

re heated gear

I also just bought my first heated gear. I have come to not like all the layering. I purchased a Tourmaster Synergy Jacket liner and combine that with Gerbing G3 gloves. I went with the Tourmaster because you do not need to purchase the controller separately. Tourmaster does not have the lifetime warranty the Grrging has. They told me the Gerbing gloves would not work with the Tourmaster jacket but that was not true. Everything worked fine! It was about 35 degrees outside and I used the lowest of three settings to be comfortable. The G3 gloves are not bulky at all and much more comfortable than the Tormasters!

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Synergy-Electric-Jacket-Liner-p-256_59.html

http://www.gerbing.com/Products/Gloves/G3.html

heated gear

I went with the Tour Master jacket and pant liners. Works very well for me. I was told to get a size smaller than what I would normally wear, so the heat is closer to the body. Worked out okay for the jacket, but trying to get my fat butt in the medium size pants is like a circus act :laugh.

I'd strongly urge you to look into Gerbing a little before making a decision. I've been riding it since they first started and recently upgraded to the new Microwire gear. As noted earlier, it heats up very fast and compacts very small. I had a pair of G3 gloves and replaced them with the G5's. At 20 degrees on my R12RT, I find I have to keep the power down on the gloves - partner, them babies are sweet.

Can't speak to how other companies treat customers for support but I can tell you that Gerbing does damn good here. A bunch of years ago, I had a minor heating problem with a liner that I created. I talked to the Gerbing rep at a rally about it and he simply traded me liners.

Good gear - good company - what's not to like?

I have Gerbing G3 gloves, jacket liner, and pants liner. I only use the pants liner when it gets below 30 degrees. I take the gloves and jacket liner on trips even in the summer. I have used them in cold rain even in August.

I think you will really notice a difference between a vest and a jacket on heated gear. In my case, the first thing to get cold is my arms, and the heated sleeves in the jacket liner are just the ticket.

I had Gerbings in the past but prefer the fit of the Warm & Safe and very happy with their stuff.

Just replaced my 15 year old Aerostich vest with a Gerbings jacket. What a difference. A bit pricey if you need all the plugs, controllers, etc. On the ride home from the Winter Rally it performed well. I love the adjustability of heat level, and the weight of the jacket. I highly recommend this jacket.

Is it the "jacket" or the "jacket liner". ??.

I run the liners but haven't yet had the pleasure of the outerware.

The main reason I went with the liners is the theory that, since Gerbing offers a lifetime warranty on the electrics, the liners should be a one-time investment. I don't expect my outer jackets to last that long.

The jacket liner also makes a great windbreaker in the spring and the fall when you are off the bike walking around. I see a lot of guys walking around camp at the rallys wearing their Gerbing jacket liners.

Another advantage to a jacket liner is double the pockets. You have the pockets in both your jacket and your jacket liner in the winter.

I went with the G3 gloves only because I bought the gloves and jacket liner on sale and my dealer didn't have glove liners. Never tried the liners, but if they heat as well as the G3's, it would make sense to me to buy new outer gloves as they wear out and keep the lifetime liners. Only problem with that on the glove liners is I have heard you have to buy your gloves a size too large to wear with the liners.

The jacket liner is about as thin as a windbreaker, so it doesn't change the fit of my jacket much at all.

I went with the G3 gloves only because I bought the gloves and jacket liner on sale and my dealer didn't have glove liners. Never tried the liners, but if they heat as well as the G3's, it would make sense to me to buy new outer gloves as they wear out and keep the lifetime liners. Only problem with that on the glove liners is I have heard you have to buy your gloves a size too large to wear with the liners.

The jacket liner is about as thin as a windbreaker, so it doesn't change the fit of my jacket much at all.

I got the Gerbings glove liners, and I really wish I had gotten the G3 gloves. The liners warm great, and are easy to wear, but they don't fit inside your normal size gloves. I had to end up buying a new pair of larger gloves, thus making the price of wearing the liners as much as the more expensive G3's, plus the added bulk of gloves that are too large. They work great though, so I will keep them for this winter. I use them with a synergy vest, and they work fine. I think next winter I will get a jacket liner and the G3 gloves though.

no you dont

I have a Tormaster Synergy Jacket liner and G3 gloves. I simply plug the gloves into the jacket. The included Tourmaster controller allows you to control the temp of the combo at low, med and high. You cannot control the gloves and liner separately. The gloves come with the cabling to connect the gloves separately from the jacket if you chose. You would have to buy a Gerbing controller for the gloves to control the temp for them. Does this reply make sense??

WOODY

It's certainly the preferred way to heat them but not really a requirement. All you need is the harness that comes with them to get from the controller [which you should have] or a switch to the gloves. The harness is simply a "Y" that let's you run a wire down each sleeve and then plugs right in.

I see the harness (Y) you speak of. Thanks.

Tour and Gerbings both seem to have good reviews for serving their purposes. IF you were to go with a system (or more than one item), it appears that the G is more seamless? But, more $$$.

I am very happy with my Gerbing liner and gloves. They only complaint I have is that the wires between the jacket and gloves are a bit stiff. Softer wire would make the surplus wire easier to deal with.

If you have a place to rigidly mount the heat controller, that would be a good idea. I usually clip mine to a pocket or tank bag and that's not optimal.

I see the harness (Y) you speak of. Thanks.

Tour and Gerbings both seem to have good reviews for serving their purposes. IF you were to go with a system (or more than one item), it appears that the G is more seamless? But, more $$$.
Compare warranties...;)

Back