• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Best Food along the Route??

I just happen to watch an episode of "The best thing I ever ate" on one of the cable channels.

With this thought, is anyone going out of their way to the Rally just to eat at a particular restaurant/place on their route?

Our general route will probably be leaving the Tyler Texas area, then a choice of routes to Dayton, Ohio (Air Museum specifically), then up to the Rally, with Cleveland Ohio as a probable stop to visit some people in that area either before or after the Rally.

Haven't researched any restaurants yet, although this show just mentioned best "corn beef hash" for breakfast in Cleveland (Al's ?).

I have no idea what kind of response this thread will bring, but lets see what happens?

Scotchale
04 RT, 10 650 Twin
05 CS, 98 Funduro

Whatever wants to run for the day.....

While driving to the airport in Wilkes-Barre from the board meeting in November, with two unnamed passengers, we stopped at a diner in a little town on Hwy 11. Passenger #1 had a burger, Passenger #2 had chili, and I had some marvelous pierogie's, cooked properly in butter and onions. There were only two pierogie's on the plate (potato and cheese), but they were the size of saucers.:thumb

When you get into Tennessee, look for a Krystal and a Waffle House.:clap

Those I like ! It's my understanding Krystals was sort of the southern version of "White Castle" south of the Mason Dixon line ? They returned to Texas a few years ago, a few in the DFW area I believe, only been to one in Ft. Worth recently. No White Castles here (frozen foods doesn't count either :)

Waffle House...My post midnight favorite...wish they'd go further west, last one I'm aware of most west is in Weatherford Texas, west of Ft. Worth on I-20. Then you can find them as you head east. "Smothered and Covered" anyone?

As for Tennessee, need to research any good "pork" BBQ in that direction...?

Scotchale

Just look for all the parked pickup trucks at the little restaurant with the little sign with a single name, like "Sally's" or Fern's" or somesuch similar.

219 is my usual route through PA. Stopped at the Royal Motel in Ridgeway once. They have a dining room that looked like it hosted every Italian wedding in a 200 mile radius. Great food.

Holly

219 is my usual route through PA. Stopped at the Royal Motel in Ridgeway once. They have a dining room that looked like it hosted every Italian wedding in a 200 mile radius. Great food.

Holly

From 219 it's easy to pop off to Denny's in Clearfield. It's a hoot. And it's not the chain with a similar name.

Just look for all the parked pickup trucks at the little restaurant with the little sign with a single name, like "Sally's" or Fern's" or somesuch similar.

What he said, and look for flowers, or other exterior "pride" in the property. A nice flower bed generally assures a caring proprietor. This goes especially for mom and pop hotels too.

I like down home country cooking. When I am traveling on my bike, I like to stop in small towns to eat. If I don't see an obvious place to eat, I pick out a couple of likely locals and ask them for their recommendations. I have had some of the best meals in the most unlikely places that I would have never tried based on their outward appearances.

One of the best meals I have had was somewhere unknown in the middle of West Virginia on my way back from the Charleston Rally. There was nothing around so we stopped at a dumpy little gas station and asked the owner where we could get something to eat. He sent us to a house with a "restaurant" in the end with a little faded sign. The lady of the house sat us down and treated us like one of the family and fed us a great meal. Looks can be deceptive.

One of the best meals I have had was somewhere unknown in the middle of West Virginia............ .

My guess is you are talking about Rella's Roadside Cafe

sr_6ba6f5fe36db3c.jpg

From 219 it's easy to pop off to Denny's in Clearfield. It's a hoot. And it's not the chain with a similar name.

+1 on Denny's! I'm planning a weekend trip back there in the spring. Great roads and very nice folks at the Holiday Inn!

If anyone is coming up from South Eastern PA, I recommend Hanks in Chadds Ford among other great local establishments.

best food along the route?

+2 on the royal in ridgway--stayed and eat there on a return trip from rt6--could have sworn i saw the pope eating there!!:brad

Our general route will probably be leaving the Tyler Texas area, then a choice of routes to Dayton, Ohio (Air Museum specifically), then up to the Rally, with Cleveland Ohio as a probable stop to visit some people in that area either before or after the Rally.

If in the Columbus Oh area anytime around Lunch - City Barbeque - multiple locations. While it is all great - most recommended is their brisket! Hungry just thinking about it.

BBQ in western Pa

If your route takes you through Pittsburgh here are a few bbq choices:

Traveling on Interstate 70 from WV into PA (south of Pittsburgh) you will find excellent southern style bbq at Hogfathers in Washington Pa. They are at 1301 Jefferson Ave, Washington, Pa 15301. I grew up in Georgia and this is some of the best bbq I have found in southwestern Pa. Look for the Jefferson Ave exit and go north about 3 blocks, Hogfathers will be on your left. http://www.letseat.at/hogfathersoldfashionedbbq

East of Pittsburgh you will find Clem's BBQ on Route 22 East. Their address is 1985 Route 22 Hwy E Blairsville, PA 15717. Every bbq lover in the Pittsburgh 4 Winds BMW club has been to Clem's. http://www.clemscafe.com/

North of Pittsburgh you can get great pulled pork at Fat Jimmy's BBQ at 2612 New Butler Road New Castle, PA 16101. If you are on I-79 you can take exit 99 and then go west on Route 422. Fat Jimmy's is on the left before you get into Newcastle. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09148/972808-34.stm

Mark

Good Bets are;
Krispy Kreme
Macaroni Grill
Golden Corral
:eat

I take the mom and pop place anytime over the chains. Best bake goods are the local bakery, and owners usually take more pride in what is served that the 18 year old manager of some big chain..............IMHO

Back