• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Type of Battery

Since I am on my third Battery, this new non lead battery looks interesting.

http://www.shoraipower.com/s-44589-F800ST-GS.aspx

It is a Lithium Iron Phosphate.
It would be helpful to know a little more about the age of your bike-assuming it's a F800st-and why they are going bad. I'm not sure what I'd go for when I need one but Odyssey and Westco are a couple of names I have heard kicked around. Gary

Since I am on my third Battery, this new non lead battery looks interesting.

http://www.shoraipower.com/s-44589-F800ST-GS.aspx

It is a Lithium Iron Phosphate.

I look forward to your report after getting one. I figure the Shorai is more shock resistant and the weight savings are always nice. If the battery has plenty of crank power I think it is a winner. My other choice would be an Odyssey AGM. I have had good luck with these batteries.

From what I understand the Odyssey requires a bit of "modification" to the battery compartment in order to fit - not a big deal, but a bit of extra work.

The WestCo is a drop-in from what I am told.

Keep us posted ... since one of the common failure modes of the OEM battery it that it works fine right up until the it doesn't work at all :banghead I'm interested in something better ... and my OEM unit is now 2.5 yrs old...

Looks very interesting. Even though I've had no issues with the battery in my F800GS, it would be appealing to switch for the nearly eight pound weight saving. Thats eight pounds up top too.

I do want to replace the nine year old Odyssey battery in my RS this year, this might be a good choice for it too.

It would be helpful to know a little more about the age of your bike-assuming it's a F800st-and why they are going bad. I'm not sure what I'd go for when I need one but Odyssey and Westco are a couple of names I have heard kicked around. Gary

Gary the bike I have is a F650gs 2009 and the first battery lasted about 3 months.
The second battery from our local battery store was a flooded low maintance battery and was weak at starting. I got a glass mat battery in service now and it sometimes is a little weak at turning over. I have a odyssey in my 1150gs and love it, but they don't have one for the 650.
This battery would solve the problems with lead in the kids small bikes and ATV"S.
My dealer is 140 miles away and getting another bad battery did not make sence to me, because I would have to take other wheels and miss another day of riding.

Looks very interesting. Even though I've had no issues with the battery in my F800GS, it would be appealing to switch for the nearly eight pound weight saving. Thats eight pounds up top too.

I do want to replace the nine year old Odyssey battery in my RS this year, this might be a good choice for it too.

It blows my mind that the thing weighs less than 2lbs.... is that right? :scratch

I have a Dewalt drill with the Li battery pack that weighs about 2lbs
http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-batteries-dc9280_2.aspx

It fires up my drill fine, and lasts a long time ... but when I look at it ... it just seems hard to beleive 2lbs of battery could last 5 years in my bike esp. the part about 80+ amps for the starter motor on a cold morning...

but I wouldn't complain :thumb

On the warranty page they talk about a "5-pin BMS port" on the battery...
What the heck is that?

Bump up...

Anyone purchased/used this battery yet? I've seen a few notices about it and it certainly sounds great on paper. I've not had any real issues with my battery (G650GS 2009), but I'm looking ahead to what comes next when I do get a new one.

I believe the Odessey PC 610 will fit the 650 if you don't mind the $180 price tag. I do.
I think the bigger issue is why your bike is so hard on batteries. You might need to solve that instead of throwing batteries at it.

Back