• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

i paid about $700.00 for one of these in '65

Quite a price but a very nice example. Maybe its going to a display somewhere?
Not sure why a baby Duc is worth that much to anyone unless it represents a piece of their childhood. Never owned an old Duc and they were quite uncommon back then- way less than even today. Did this version have enough power and handling to outrun the J-bikes of the era (except stuff like the Yamaha TD-1 racers- wish I had one of those)?

for reference, sold recently on ebay

1967 bmw R-Series R27
Clear Fork 24822, WV, United States - 1 week ago on ebay.com
For sale $9,600 bmw r black 1967 26,119mi 250cc - ...See my other items Email A Friend Description of 1967 bmw R27 Thumper For Sale For sale a vintage 1967 bmw R27 "Thumper". This model is getting constantly rare and ...cosmetically original ( still has pinstriper initial under the tank), totally mechanically serviced, and sound bmw R27 clocks only 26K original miles. This cycle has had only 2 owners from new, ...
size.640x480

The R27 was one fine motorcycle. My college friend had one and I got to ride it before he got his license. We would take it out into the boonies and he practiced riding it where the Polizei would not watch. Oh, the good old days.

Oh, I want that Ducati so BAD!!!! I had one for years. It's a piece of my youth big time. No way I'm gonna' pay that money though. I rode that bike all over, and never had a problem with it. Made saddlebags out of gas cans on a wooden frame. If you look closely you'll see the shifter on the right and the rear brake pedal on the left. And neutral was on top instead of the bottom.

I have a Suzuki GZ250 now, and the GZ's performance is about the same, maybe a little better. Both 250 thumpers. The Ducati weighed less than 214 pounds. I had the salesman falsify the weight so that I could ride it on the NY State Thruway, which had a minimum weight requirement for motorcycles. The speed limit was 60 on it then, enforcement wasn't so lax as it is now, and I could pretty much keep up with traffic. It was exciting when a big truck went by, though.

I have a lot of great memories of that bike. It was my only transportation for a while.

A friend of mine had an R27. It was like a rock, but awful slow. He totaled it when some lady turned left in front of him. Broke his leg, too. He was 16, and that was the end of him and motorcycles. For me it was lesson #1 learned and understood ever since.

Yeah those were the days when you actually had to look at something you hadn't ridden to see how the controls were arranged. IIRC other Italian stuff tended toward the same setup as the Duc. Aermacchi et al...

R27

I put about 20 miles on my '67 R27 today. it is a real time machine and still starts with one or two kicks. 38,880 miles and all original. A bit faded (like me), but guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

Back