• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Seen any good movies?

We've seen several recent movies (crap television down here) on our winter trip. Totally agree with "True Grit" and King's Speech", but a couple of others we enjoyed were, "Company Men" (Ben Affleck, Tommy Lee Jones), and "Barney's Version" (Paul Giamatti, Dustin Hoffman).

JP

Movies

Now showing on my TV is "Shogun". I'm watching it for the fourth time. It is a four disc set and was a gift from my daughters. I love this mini series... On the to do list ASAP is "The King's Speech" as well as "True Grit". My health is keeping me at home right now but soon I hope.....

watched 'the verdict' last night with paul newman.

newman was in the film, he didn't watch it with me, as if...

good movie

Since "Shogun" was mentioned, I'll add that the book is excellent - it's long, but a very good read. There is abundant history and culture packed into a fast-moving, fast-reading story.

I recently saw The Eagle. My initial intent was to see where it was filmed since I traveled in Scotland.

At first, I thought it would be another mindless Gladiator film but it was far from it. It was about honor and friendship, and the two young actors did an incredible performance with Donald Sutherland doing a supporting role. Many dark and gloomy scenes, and senseless violence one would expect from that sort of movie. But honor was always in the light.

What freaked me out the most was that evening I was watching the History Channel and they were telling about the Roman problems against the Caledonians.....the painted people. With that information the movie became real.

I want to give a :thumb to the movie "Red" starring Bruce Willis. I went with my 15 y.o. son and not a lot of expectations. It was entertaining, funny, and not at all what I expected. We both thought John Malkovich's character Marvin stole the show. Suspend some disbelief and have a good time.

My wife and I just saw Unknown with Liam Neeson. We were both very disappointed. The plot is very clever, but there are holes you can ride an LT through and surprisingly, the acting isn't very good, especially towards the end. Movies are personal. I have a friend who liked it, but we sure didn't.

two motorcycle movies are
Wild Hogs
One Week

just entertaining, not academy award winners by any means

An Irish movie, I personally really liked, is called Once, great music, great character development, a lovely story really.

Bring your kleenex

Hachi: A Dog's Tale (2009)

Rating: 8.0/10 - from 15,735 users

Directed by Lasse Hallstr?Âm. Starring Richard Gere, Joan Allen, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa. A drama based on the true story of a college professor's bond with the abandoned dog he takes into his home.

Attachments

• MV5BMTAxMDA2MjM4NDReQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDE0NTgxMTM@__V1__SY317_CR3,0,214,317_.jpg
    MV5BMTAxMDA2MjM4NDReQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDE0NTgxMTM@__V1__SY317_CR3,0,214,317_.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 126
All three of the Swedish "The Girl Who.." series movies are now available on DVD (and streaming Netflix!)..

Watch them in order, and as in the books - the middle one is a transition between the first and third.. so it's a bit slow (and puzzling in spots.)

I saw The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo and The Girl Who Played with Fire in the movies - loved the first, was somewhat disappointed in the 2nd (transition one.)

Then I saw The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest on DVD and it all came together. Just like the books :)

I dread the US remake(s).. I think I'll just not see them.

Good stuff - shame that Stieg Larsson isn't with us to offer us more great reading.

Will Hachiko make me cry? I love good dog :dog stories, but I guess I've been through the reality of losing my best friend too many times - I almost can't watch the sad ones.

Just sat through the entire extended version of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Grew up on those books and while no movie is perfectly transformed into a movie, this is pretty much what my imagination figured it to be like and better.

The Straight Story

Great story about an unusual road trip ...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1yUwF3vskF8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Went to see Trus Grit a couple of weeks ago...I loved it, my wife would probably have passed on it.
On the weekend, we went to see Unknown (Leam Neeson). One of the best suspence film I have EVER seen. If you like suspence films, do not miss this one.

Back