Thread: Takata automotive airbag recall

Takata automotive airbag recall

I'm posting this here to let people know, if they don't already, about the airbag recall. The number of affected cars is now about 8 million, and could go higher. This does affect cars world wide.

Here's a list of affected US cars. It mostly covers cars model years between 2000 and 2008.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Pre...mediate-action

For those unaware of the situation, here's an article on it.
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos...ir-bag-warning
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Just saw that on the noon news. It covers a lot of makes. Seems when Toyota runs out, a temporary sticker will be placed on the dash
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Both of my cars (Element & Vibe) are on the list, but I live in WA state, so I'm not sure if I'm going to get a notice or not.

Too damn many bikes to list

Honda has been proactive on this..

When I heard about this recall I checked with my Honda dealer. They pointed out that the vehicle I own, a 2001 Accord, had the drivers side front airbag replaced in April of 2010. I just hadn't remembered from 4 years back when I was noticed and took it in.

At least Honda has been proactive on this front. I asked about the passenger side bag and they said there is no recall for my particular car on it.
    12 R1200 RT
    83 R100 RT

na1g
    On our local TV news the report on all the recalls was followed by a story on "driverless cars" to be available in just a few years. Is it just me or is that pretty scary?

pete

I gotta say, not any scarier than a texting college student doing 70 either behind you or in the next lane over....

Supposedly, Tesla's new 2015 model will have the capability for you to summon it from a parking garage and drive itself to your waiting location just using your smart phone. I don't know how that is possible with driverless cars not yet legal.

Quote Originally Posted by na1g View Post
    .....was followed by a story on "driverless cars" to be available in just a few years. Is it just me or is that pretty scary?

pete
    One thing that might slow this down, is who is at fault in an accident when the car is in driverless mode. I think the California is at the forefront of this. The politicians are just now discussing this issue and have yet to make a decision. I think manufacturers will put the brakes on this if they would be held liable in an accident--even if only partially liable. On the flip side, I don't think there will be enough buyers of the system if the manufacturers are given a pass on liability. Just my two-cents here.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer