Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hooking up in the dark!

Hooking up in the dark!

Now get your mind out of the gutter. I have a long driveway and will wait to get the morning paper at the street before hooking up the autocom and heated gear. Yesterday it was so dark I couldn't see what connector went to what and couldn't line up the helmet connector at all. So I had the great idea to put a white stripe on both sides of the autocom connectors and paint the glove connectors white all the way around. That should make things a little easier. If it's above 15 degrees, I'll try it tomorrow!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
    Now get your mind out of the gutter. I have a long driveway and will wait to get the morning paper at the street before hooking up the autocom and heated gear. Yesterday it was so dark I couldn't see what connector went to what and couldn't line up the helmet connector at all. So I had the great idea to put a white stripe on both sides of the autocom connectors and paint the glove connectors white all the way around. That should make things a little easier. If it's above 15 degrees, I'll try it tomorrow!
    Jay
    No, the paint is supposed to be yellow.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

The gloves should be red and green.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Jay
    Can we put our minds back in the gutter now.
    We drove all this way for a DEAD END ! My son!!!

02 Silver RT1150 My 1st BMW Bike
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    The gloves should be red and green.
    just remember that red goes on the left hand
    Marty
    K1600GTL
    F700GS
    IBA #42016

match up

"...I had the great idea to put a white stripe on both sides of the autocm connectors and paint the glove connectors white all the way around..."
    If you do this on the autocm cord, be sure the paint adheres to SAE standard 13.303.16.208a/1.1 bis 1.9 - otherwise the rubber could deteriorate and you could potentially expose the wire in the autocom cord, causing cross talk and possibly end up violating FCC regulations pertaining to electronic interference. This is a known design flaw in the Autocm products, which has been addressed on this forum multiple times.

Oh wait - you said Autocom, not Autocm. Sorry, my bad. Carry on.

Getting lost...
    Quote Originally Posted by mcover View Post
    just remember that red goes on the left hand
    No, it's red=right.

What was the question again?

"Red on right returning" is the mnemonic for oncoming vessels - so for you red on your left. Now if I could remember which ear ring means what I would feel better!
    Talmadge Wright
    '12 R1200 GSA
    '14 R nine T

... the mnemonic for oncoming vessels ...
    OJeeez, I sure hope not...!!! it's the mnemonic to remember to take RED ATONS (aids to navigation) aka:BOUYS (or lights) on your RIGHT as you RETURN to a harbor from seaward. Not oncoming vessels.

If you were to take an oncoming vessel on with her RIGHT (red) light on your right, you would be lining up on the center of his vessel. If both her red and green lights were on your right you would pass.

The exception is navigating UP rivers from seaward. International marine convention dictates that the "sides" of a river are designated with regard to the direction of flow of the river. The "left" bank of the Mississippi is the Illinois side. i.e., the "left" bank (which is marked by RED ATONS) is the EAST side, your right.

The last time I took one on my /5 it didn't turn out as expected...
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Monty

"...The exception is navigating UP rivers from seaward..."
    If you're so darned smart, what is the unladen air speed of a European Swallow?

dhgeyer
    Quote Originally Posted by flars View Post
    "...The exception is navigating UP rivers from seaward..."
    If you're so darned smart, what is the unladen air speed of a European Swallow?
    And can one carry a coconut? And who can remember what movie that's from? And admit it?

Was it PT-109, and if correct do I get a coconut prize???
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

You guys are completely hopeless. I post what I thougt was a great idea and all you can do is make fun of it!

It's Rum Right Returning!!!! GET IT RIGHT!

Buy a flashlight for heavens sake.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

You guys are completely hopeless. I post what I thougt was a great idea and all you can do is make fun of it!

It's Rum Right Returning!!!! GET IT RIGHT!
    It was a good idea - yes!

Ane those other guys of us are hopeless, yes!

I was just being helpful, courteous, kind, cheerful, obedient, clean and reverent.
    (I think that's how it went 55 years ago when I learned that)
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves