• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A Pocket Knife thread (celebrating my new one!)

i usually carry a Spyderco knife but lately have been carrying a BenchMade (Chinese) knife... i know shame on me(!) well it WAS cheap..er i mean INEXPENSIVE... got it at www.sierratradingpost.com

for a multi tool, i carry a Carbon Black Leatherman Surge (i also use this at work, but NEVER leave home on a M/C trip without it) i USED to have a Black Supertool 200, which somebody apparently liked better than i did. opted for the Surge this time, because the knife blade and 3 other *tools* can be accessed without opening the thing all the way up. it has a bad-@$$ pair of shears!

i love knives, have a pile of them but in no way am i as organised about it as SOME folks around here....:bow
Spyderco is probably my favorite brand. i've had several Delica's. great knives but seriously sharp when new.

nowadays you can simply mail your knife home to yourself, RIGHT FROM THE SECURITY CHECKPOINT! last year i was flying out of Houston, and had been somewhat distraught because my dad was dying... i forgot to put my pocket knife into my checked baggage, until i got right up to security. i raised my hand as i advanced in the line, was noticed pretty much immediately by a TSA person. when she came over to ask what was up, i told her i'd accidentally come in with my knife. "No Problem!" she said. she walked me thru the process of self-addressing an "envelope" and for a few bucks, my knife was in the MAIL!

while i was at it, i asked the *nice lady* about carrying things like knives, multi-tolls, and tools in general on planes, in carry-on luggage. seems the rules have softened up a bit... now. don't take MY word for it, BUT i was told that if you *declare* your "tools", you can tote all manner of things onto a plane. if you consider trying it, i would check with your airline AND/OR go to the TSA website first...

I "declared" my SA last month and the TSA person simply said "Hey Joe, another surrender" Joe came by and left with my knife. I bet Joe has an ebay account!

HMMM. maybe it depends on the airport?
at IAH they had a machine right there. i had my Spyderco back home in less than a week.
i thought "finally. pure genius." as i have always held that they should facilitate us commoners in such cases.
perhaps another issue (can you even count 'em all?) with these jerk-offs is inconsistency?

as an aside,
it is illegal to carry a pocket knife in England...
i have heard of folks being arrested and having their pocket knives confiscated in TIMES SQUARE, NYC...

Does this count?

Greetings
I never leave home with out it.
3557_2a_1.jpg

http://www.aerostich.com/off-the-road-again/campsite/knives-and-tools/ontario-survival-machete.html
The most usefull knife I own.
Tony

Must be a folding knife. May not have a locking blade. Under current English law a knife that can not be closed without releasing a lock is a fixed blade knife, thus illegal to carry in public places.

I think all my current knives save one would be troublesome to carry were I in England.

can't see the value of a knife without a locking blade, unless it's strictly for collectability.
didn't really know the law specifically but i DO know that when i was in England for 3 weeks riding old BritBikes with my buddies, all of the English guys gasped and acted scandalised when it was found i carried a pocket knife.

I don't understand. I've never owned a pocket knife with a locking blade. I'm thinking of my Swiss Army knives and my Leatherman Juice. They've all been perfectly adequate for my needs.

Greetings
I never leave home with out it.

One lives in my left pannier. Perfect for making kindling out of collected camp-fire wood. For cutting, though, I found this to be much easier on the hands:

military-pocket-chainsaw-1.jpg

That pouch is about 3" by 3.5" to give you a feel for its size. I use it to cut stuff to size, then the ontario machete to make the kindling. Note: you can beat the 'stich price by about $25 if you look around a bit.

I only buy locking blade pocket knives. Almost cut off a finger years ago with a non-locking blade.
Ride Safe :usa :usa

This goes everywhere with me.
"Better to be judged by twelve then carried by six!"-Filipino saying

Attachments

• 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 694
A big one

If that is bigger than a 5" blade you can't carry it in a public school in Texas.
LOL! What a weird rule... 5 inch blade?!?!?! I could see 2 or maybe 3 inches but 5???

tsp

This goes everywhere with me.
"Better to be judged by twelve then carried by six!"-Filipino saying

I don't understand. I've never owned a pocket knife with a locking blade. I'm thinking of my Swiss Army knives and my Leatherman Juice. They've all been perfectly adequate for my needs.

alright, bro. to each their own.
tell me your knife NEVER folded on you and cut you? never even ALMOST cut you? never ONCE folded unexpectedly?
honestly?
seriously?

to my mind
A: if there is a way that something bad can/may/will happen, do it ANOTHER WAY.
B: why take a chance?
C: DON'T TAKE THE CHANCE!

i use my knife as a tool for work. i use it as a tool for recreation. i use it forwards, backwards, upside down, hanging off moving things high off the floor, in every conceivable (and INconceivable) way, manner, position, etc.
i use it often and i use it hard.

with locking blade knives on the market, i wouldn't even consider anything else. (BTW i DO own an old Case Sodbuster i found once- haven't used it in over 20 years) call me crazy, but pain hurts. i've been hurt a lot and know (now) what it takes to keep from getting hurt. a lock-blade knife is merely ONE way to NOT get hurt.

(not trying to be a d*ck, and i sincerely hope you never get hurt with your Swiss Army Knife and NON locking Leatherman...)

alright, bro. to each their own.
tell me your knife NEVER folded on you and cut you? never even ALMOST cut you? never ONCE folded unexpectedly?
honestly?
seriously?

to my mind
A: if there is a way that something bad can/may/will happen, do it ANOTHER WAY.
B: why take a chance?
C: DON'T TAKE THE CHANCE!

i use my knife as a tool for work. i use it as a tool for recreation. i use it forwards, backwards, upside down, hanging off moving things high off the floor, in every conceivable (and INconceivable) way, manner, position, etc.
i use it often and i use it hard.

with locking blade knives on the market, i wouldn't even consider anything else. (BTW i DO own an old Case Sodbuster i found once- haven't used it in over 20 years) call me crazy, but pain hurts. i've been hurt a lot and know (now) what it takes to keep from getting hurt. a lock-blade knife is merely ONE way to NOT get hurt.

(not trying to be a d*ck, and i sincerely hope you never get hurt with your Swiss Army Knife and NON locking Leatherman...)

No offense taken. I understand the problem you're talking about, but -- and I suppose I'll cut off a finger now that I'm going to say it -- I've never even almost cut myself with the blade folding back on me.

I don't use the knife for work, but it's in my pocket all the time and it gets regular use. I'm sure I use it just about every day for some purpose -- opening letters, boxes, using the various screwdriver blades, even the corkscrew gets used.

Here's a photo of the Juice, in 2006, after making an emergency, side of the road repair to my R90S, when I found the choke dangling off the left side Dell'Orto. Note the new gasket I cut with it.

PB143869.JPG

Pocket Knives

This thread inspired me. I hadn't had a real pocket knife since I was a kid. It was a different time then. All kids carried pocket knives to use for anything from cutting fishing line to whittling a piece of wood, just to see what you could make out of it. None of us kids even vaguely considered using our knives for any violent purpose, nor were we viewed as criminals for carrying a pocket knife.

I have a small (two-bladed) Swiss Army knife that my daughter gave me as a gift, but that comes out only when I am doing chores in the yard. After reading this thread, I decided to see what kind of knives are available today.

So I visited REI and after looking at the display, I purchased a Kershaw Leek, which I put in my R1200R side case, where I store all of my emergency items.

http://www.kershaw-knives.net/Kershaw-Ken-Onion-Leek-KS1660.htm

On my second visit to REI, I noticed they had a blue Benchmade knife, model 901-530, on sale.

http://www.rei.com/product/801860

It was the last one they had and was made especially for REI. I figured I need that one too, It has been invaluable for opening boxes. A very sharp knife!

So since I have three knives now, I guess I could be called a knife collector of sorts.

Thanks for showing what is out there in the world of knives.

Now, what do you all have for flashlights? I have a couple of Surefires and a Nebo Redline that I just bought.

I had to get a new pocket knife a few years ago, I always had a small folder, my father gave me the classic boyscout two blade, screwdriver type, that I cut myself within the first five minutes of using, when I was in about third grade, any way I put the latest one in the box at his wake, in case he needed it when he got to where he was going. he was 79.

No offense taken. I understand the problem you're talking about, but -- and I suppose I'll cut off a finger now that I'm going to say it -- I've never even almost cut myself with the blade folding back on me.

I don't use the knife for work, but it's in my pocket all the time and it gets regular use. I'm sure I use it just about every day for some purpose -- opening letters, boxes, using the various screwdriver blades, even the corkscrew gets used.

Here's a photo of the Juice, in 2006, after making an emergency, side of the road repair to my R90S, when I found the choke dangling off the left side Dell'Orto. Note the new gasket I cut with it.

PB143869.JPG

that's awesome! that *Juice* looks like it's been around the block a time or two. was that one of the first models with tools accessible without having to open the body up? i just bought a Surge, after having lost my trusty SuperTool 200
(i think it was stolen- OR maybe the *ghost* got it. OK, i know- but that's a whole other story)
anyway, still waiting to get into use of the Surge, but it has the 4 main tools accessible from *outside* the body of the thing. second biggest Leatherman made.

I had to get a new pocket knife a few years ago, I always had a small folder, my father gave me the classic boyscout two blade, screwdriver type, that I cut myself within the first five minutes of using, when I was in about third grade, any way I put the latest one in the box at his wake, in case he needed it when he got to where he was going. he was 79.

bless his heart and i hope the knife serves him well *out there*.

This thread inspired me. I hadn't had a real pocket knife since I was a kid. It was a different time then. All kids carried pocket knives to use for anything from cutting fishing line to whittling a piece of wood, just to see what you could make out of it. None of us kids even vaguely considered using our knives for any violent purpose, nor were we viewed as criminals for carrying a pocket knife.

I have a small (two-bladed) Swiss Army knife that my daughter gave me as a gift, but that comes out only when I am doing chores in the yard. After reading this thread, I decided to see what kind of knives are available today.

So I visited REI and after looking at the display, I purchased a Kershaw Leek, which I put in my R1200R side case, where I store all of my emergency items.

http://www.kershaw-knives.net/Kershaw-Ken-Onion-Leek-KS1660.htm

On my second visit to REI, I noticed they had a blue Benchmade knife, model 901-530, on sale.

http://www.rei.com/product/801860

It was the last one they had and was made especially for REI. I figured I need that one too, It has been invaluable for opening boxes. A very sharp knife!

So since I have three knives now, I guess I could be called a knife collector of sorts.

Thanks for showing what is out there in the world of knives.

Now, what do you all have for flashlights? I have a couple of Surefires and a Nebo Redline that I just bought.

congratulations on the new *collection*.

FLASHLIGHTS? :heart sounds like a whole other thread to me man.
(SureFire, Pelican, Petzl)
:doh

Back