• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

A Pocket Knife thread (celebrating my new one!)

4 1/4" is way too close for attacking critters for me to the end of my hand...Bear Spray gets my vote! :whistle

Boy howdy, yer right about that! Would NEVER consider a knife, or even a sword, as defense against a large animal!!! I'm not a fan of any spray either, having carried Mace back in the day, and having observed that defense sprays are NOT selective about who they disable during a fracas! If ya got the time and presence of mind to get it into play, nothing like a large caliber handgun to dissuade the beasts!!!!

Not a pocket knife per se. I have a lifelong friend and MOA member who is a knife maker. He recently presented this one to me as a gift. He calls it his "Cat Claw" design. Blade is made from old circle saw blade that was rusted and pitted. These blades were commonly used on farms to saw lumber and were 2 feet in diameter and larger. Becoming harder and harder to find as many ended up walls with pictures painted on them.

1295021219.jpg

The scales are hedge, also known as Osage Orange, that I cut from an old fence post he had. Hedge is pretty hard, dense and rot proof and was used thru out the Midwest as fence posts.

Here is a trap spring knife he made, one of 8, that I presented to the BOD. It has the BMW MOA logo inserted into the handle.

1295021500.jpg

For Christmas, Nancy gave me a display case to hold all of the knives that he has made.

I recently picked a small hunting knife with a 4 1/4" blade. I had planned on using it at campsites in case of bear/cougar attacks, which seem to be more common these days. Does the above quote mean that I would be in violation of American knife/weapon laws crossing into your country with it stored in my pannier or tank bag? :dunno :ca

I would think that as long as you don't carry it on your person around in town or while traveling it should not be a problem. Carrying it concealed might make it fall under general concealed weapons laws. Mostly switchblades and knifes with spring loaded blades that can be propelled seem to be ones controlled by fed laws of interstate travel. Around camp grounds I have carried a large Bowie knife with a blade of 7+ inches openly with no problem. when traveling, keep it in a side case etc and that should be OK. Also check with the boarder crossing regs. that may be the biggest hangup right there.

It seems that knife laws are mostly state/local issues and are somewhat fuzzy at best and vary widely from state to state and even county to county. Other than a pocket sized knife i would not carry one around town but for camping or fishing/hunting not so much worry.

Here is a link that talks about some basic issues.
http://home.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm

RM

I recently picked a small hunting knife with a 4 1/4" blade. I had planned on using it at campsites in case of bear/cougar attacks, which seem to be more common these days. Does the above quote mean that I would be in violation of American knife/weapon laws crossing into your country with it stored in my pannier or tank bag? :dunno :ca
I'm most familiar with Texas law, but I suspect that, with regard to this subject, most states are similar. If you have a blade that is longer than the legal limit, then you should keep it in a manner that isn't quickly available to you. I wouldn't put it in my tank bag, but your pannier ought to be okay. I say that because, in Texas, if the blade is in the trunk of your car then you're certainly okay. If its on the floorboard of your backseat in a case or sheath then you're probably okay. But, if its on the front passenger seat you're likely to be in trouble.

Here's an example to make my point. I'm an assistant DA and I used to prosecute this kind of stuff. I once had a case where a chef was returning home from work around midnight. Chefs at fine restaurants, it seems, use their own cutlery. He transported his blades, including several long bladed carving knives, rolled in a leather wrap on the passenger's front seat. This particular night he was pulled over for some traffic violation. When the chef saw the officer's lights in his rearview mirror, he leaned over and put his knives on the floorboard. From behind the chef's car the police officer could see that he was doing this (the police call it a "furtive gesture"), and he had no idea what was going on. For all the officer knew it was cocaine, or a submachine gun, or a body part, or whatever. All he knows is that he's a big-city cop, its midnight, and the guy he's pulling over is trying to hide something in his car. So the officer is on high alert. When the officer got to the car the first thing he asked was why the guy leaned over to his front passenger seat. The chef, who was wearing his chef's clothing, pointed out the knives and told his story. The officer arrested him for the knives that were over 5 1/2" long. Now, this police officer obviously used no judgment at all. He should have said something like, "sir, in the future you might want to put those knives in your trunk," or something like that. In any event, after I confirmed with the restaurant that he was just going home from work, I got approval to dismiss the case.

Anyway, my point is that if you have a long bladed knife with you while on a motorcycle, then it ought to be in a place where you can't get at it. The pannier is probably fine.

Following are a couple of links that lists states or organizations on behalf of states that sell TSA confiscated items. Included for sale are many, many knives -

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23277627/ns/travel-travel_tips/

http://www.eyeflare.com/article/where-buy-goods-confiscated-tsa/

As a personal confession I will add that some years ago I purchased a number of the Leatherman Micra and Multi-tools from the TSA confiscated lots - each of my bikes now has its own Leatherman in the tool pouch.

Lemme telly'all about this new nose hair trimmer I just bought...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/01NHcTM5IA4" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Sorry, couldn't resist.. .:whistle

Let me tell you about pocketknives...they are like motorcycles. Basically if they are not made in Europe or the US, they're probably not any count ("not any count" is a southern expression meaning no good). The best ones-again like motorcycles- are probably made in Germany. I usually carry a Boker. You've got to be careful...lots of the old US Knife compainies are making knives in weird places like China...and we all know not to buy stuff from China.

:usa

I can tell you've never had a good Japanese knife. :deal

Knife VS. Animals

Got to laugh about using a knife against bears or cougars. My daughter tree-planted in the Rockies for a couple of years and said that cougar sightings creeped them out because they always jump you from the back. I'm not saying that a knife wouldn't work in all cases but that you'd have to carry a knife around for about three hundred years to statistcally even see a cougar in North America. As for bears, I'll play dead with my hands over my head and suck it up til he gets bored. I've seen bears up close, and they're quite formidable. I have a German Shepherd dog and when he gets going, not too many would take him on. And he's only 95 pounds, not 600+ I'm no Davey Crockett...
But I must admit, like most boys I love knives and have a few lock-blades: a Gerber Titanium from the 70's and a Puma from the 60's. I never take them on trips though, for fears, legal and otherwise that it won't end well if they are ever used. As a former defence lawyer, I constantly represented guys who carried knives and were very sorry when the s**t hit the fan with arrest, or when they were left maimed after knife fights. I think I learned by their experience to just carry the smallest utility knife on trips. Obviously hunters and chefs have different needs.

A pocket knife can be very useful in the event of a close encounter with a bear, especially a grizzly. The secret is to see the bear far enough in advance so you can inflict a fatal wound on yourself before the bear gets to you. :thumb

A pocket knife can be very useful in the event of a close encounter with a bear, especially a grizzly. The secret is to see the bear far enough in advance so you can inflict a fatal wound on yourself before the bear gets to you. :thumb

Now that's the most common sense...and hilarious....comment I've seen on this thread yet!!!!:lol

:laugh:laugh:laugh first thing I noticed!

I like knives, though the TSA captured my 30+ year old one my grandfather gave me and I had managed to not lose for many years. Was the first or second week of the new rules and I didn't even think about it and it still makes me sick...O'Hare Airport!!!!!!!!!!

About that same era , the TSA let my wife mail my Dads old fingernail knife back to herself-instead of keeping it. I bought a leatherman on ebay from the Hoover Dam folks(captured from a terrorist no doubt!)-I have been told thats illegal but their feedbacks were in the 1,000's !!!
And say, that knife roll would fit right in here in hillbilly land:laugh

BTW, what do you do with a bad boy like the thread starter knife?

Bury the thing

At an airport in a small town I went outside to bury my knife in their garden section (wrapped in plastic of course). But then I realized I had driven my car to the airport! :)

I normally carry a SOG Aegis in camo with normal black blade and a Leatherman Micra on my person. Also carry the large Leatherman multitool on my bike.

tsp

:laugh:laugh:laugh first thing I noticed!

I like knives, though the TSA captured my 30+ year old one my grandfather gave me and I had managed to not lose for many years. Was the first or second week of the new rules and I didn't even think about it and it still makes me sick...O'Hare Airport!!!!!!!!!!

Since the old saying is that you don't really need to be able to run faster than a bear but just faster than your slowest friend, the knife could be used to cut one of your buddy's shoelaces.

I have always owned and carried pocket knives. Case, Schrade, Buck, and lately Spyderco. I favor Cold Steel for a sheath knife but own many other brands.
Ride Safe :usa :usa

i just bought a Benchmade mini-griptilian, liked it so much i bought another one. now i have one for my tank bag and one for everyday carry.

I'm not a real knife guy, but when I was in Bradford, Pa. I had the opportunity to visit the Zippo lighter/ Case knife museum and factory. Really enjoyed it.

Benchmade BMW knife??

I don't own a Benchmade, but understand a lot of folks really like their Benchmade knives. Being made in the USA is a real selling point for me!! I carry a Kershaw now, but it never hurts to have a few pocket knives!! I'd love to have a Benchmade, and might just buy one.

So, as I was just looking at the Benchmade site, I see that they make a whole slew of knives with Harley Davidson logos.

Wonder if the Board of Directors might work with them to make up a few models for us BMW owners, with the BMW logo??

Oh, silly me, the powers-to-be in the fatherland probably wouldn't allow that. Might have to use our BMW MOA logo?

Anybody else interested?

piperjim

They had a public sell off of confiscated and abandoned airport stuff in Austin a year ago..the TV folks panned across around 8 large tupperware bins filled with pocketknives...it was stunning to see that many and from a short time period. I need to go check that event out sometime. I bet that is where the EBAY guys stock up....seems like any knife in the bins was $5!

nowadays you can simply mail your knife home to yourself, RIGHT FROM THE SECURITY CHECKPOINT! last year i was flying out of Houston, and had been somewhat distraught because my dad was dying... i forgot to put my pocket knife into my checked baggage, until i got right up to security. i raised my hand as i advanced in the line, was noticed pretty much immediately by a TSA person. when she came over to ask what was up, i told her i'd accidentally come in with my knife. "No Problem!" she said. she walked me thru the process of self-addressing an "envelope" and for a few bucks, my knife was in the MAIL!

while i was at it, i asked the *nice lady* about carrying things like knives, multi-tolls, and tools in general on planes, in carry-on luggage. seems the rules have softened up a bit... now. don't take MY word for it, BUT i was told that if you *declare* your "tools", you can tote all manner of things onto a plane. if you consider trying it, i would check with your airline AND/OR go to the TSA website first...

Last edited:
Back