Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A Pocket Knife thread (celebrating my new one!)

Thumbs up A Pocket Knife thread (celebrating my new one!)

I bought a new pocket knife. Its a Benchmade Mini-Griptillian 556. Here's a pic from the Benchmade site:

The blade opens easily with the thumb stud, which is on both sides of the blade so its both right and left handed. After a little practice it can be opened and closed with one hand. It also locks open securely. The clip is right or left handed, too. It can be removed with a tiny allen wrench and put on the other side. In the picture above the clip must be on the other side of the handle, which means its set up right-handed. You can also just remove the clip and keep it off, which I may do since I just keep it in my pocket.

Its not spring assisted, which I didn't want as they are illegal and/or considered switchblades in a lot of states. The blade is 2.91" which is legal in all 50 states (Texas' legal limit is 5 1/2", and quite a few states limit legal knives to 3 1/2" or 3").

Its VERY sharp! Surprisingly so! All the reviews I read were great. I got it for $84 at Bass Pro Shops here in the Dallas area, and you can find it online for as little as $60. But I wanted to hold and feel it before buying, and doing that at a retail outlet then buying online seems a bit unprincipled to me. A bit high-end, maybe, but what the heck.

I'm happy with it. I've carried an old Swiss Army pocket knife for years, but I felt the itch for something new without so many gadgets.

I got the black because, well..., just because. I considered yellow because at a camp or deer lease it'd be easier to find if dropped. It also comes in pink, which a female police officer whith whom I work bought after she saw and liked mine!

MODS: I debated whether this ought to be in Gear or Campfire, but I noticed camping gear and tool type threads in Gear, so I figured knives are along the same lines and put it here.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

Interesting that you went to a straight knife from a Swiss Army knife. The knife blade on my multitool gets used mostly for opening boxes, which I think would be very hard service for a real knife.

I can't live without all (ok, some) of the gadgets on a SA Knife or a multitool. I routinely use the screwdrivers, the bottle opener and even the corkscrew gets regular, if not frequent use.

I carried a SA knife for years, and then I thought I had lost it when I couldn't find it in my checked bag after a flight. So I bought a Leatherman Juice multitool. (Of course, I found the SA knife the next time I got the bag out for a trip.) The pliers have been useful any number of times, so I haven't gone back to the SA knife.

The Leatherman, with its colored anodized coating, doesn't stand up nearly as well as the Victorinox SA knife to getting jostled with my keys. It looks very battered at this point. Not that I care much, but some people would.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

rocketman
    Nothing as handy as good knife, I love the one I got out in Sedona last fall, very much like yours. only differance is the handle which was inlaid on one side with Rosewood and turquoise by a native craftsman. Goes very nicely with the inlaid wood and turquoise belt buckle I got from the same craftsman. A nice addition to my collection of pocket/camping/utility knives. Never leave home without at least one!

Very nice after xmas personal present. You obvious knew exactly what the reciever of said item really liked!

RM

First, let me say that the fact that we are discussing pocket knives and similar devices is a sad commentary on our state of mind; must be an indication that we need to get out more and do some riding. The Winter seems to be dragging on this year. That having been expressed.... Congratulations Grant!!!

I carry a Leatherman Skeletool. Has a blade for cutting; pliers that include a very good wire cutter, and they are not hand pinchers as many other similar devices are; and, both flat-head and Phillips screwdrivers that are actually functional. Can either be attached to a belt loop or has a clip for sliding on a pocket. I recommend it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    I still use a Swiss Army pocket knife for every day uses.

I have a rather old (50+years) Case 3 blade pocket knife with carbon steel blades for a hunting knife. It holds a razor edge and has been great for skinning game, deer and hogs. No need for a rambo style or size knife for me.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    First, let me say that the fact that we are discussing pocket knives and similar devices is a sad commentary on our state of mind; must be an indication that we need to get out more and do some riding. The Winter seems to be dragging on this year. That having been expressed.... Congratulations Grant!!!

I carry a Leatherman Skeletool. Has a blade for cutting; pliers that include a very good wire cutter, and they are not hand pinchers as many other similar devices are; and, both flat-head and Phillips screwdrivers that are actually functional. Can either be attached to a belt loop or has a clip for sliding on a pocket. I recommend it.

Oh I don't know about that, perhaps it has more to do with the fact we just enjoy "cutting up" !

(sorry, just couldn't resist a really bad pun, blame my Dad, he was the worst (best) punster in town...)

RM

Bob T
    I've got a Benchmade....nice knife...

And oh...don't get me started...I have an addiction...

I buy several a year...and carry 2 or 3 every day...

I visit bladeforums.com regularly...

Always have at least one SA on me....plus a small folder, (lately a Case from the 70s) and some nice pocket clip knife...
    Today...a Lone Wolf Paul Presto knife like this...

My wife thinks I may have a problem...

One small case...

Benchmade.. .. . spoooooooge.

But I still carry my granddad's elk-horn handled "Keen Kutter". Nothing special about it really, but I never feel ready for work unless it's in my pocket.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

I would have to agree with her

It's called OCD.... nothing in my house, garage or life is organized that well!!!

And i carry a Vik Swiss Army knife with lots of attachments too....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob T View Post

Always have at least one SA on me....plus a small folder, (lately a Case from the 70s) and some nice pocket clip knife...

One small case...
    Somers, NY

Just enjoying the ride.......

One small case...
    Nice carburetors.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Nice carburetors.
    first thing I noticed!

I like knives, though the TSA captured my 30+ year old one my grandfather gave me and I had managed to not lose for many years. Was the first or second week of the new rules and I didn't even think about it and it still makes me sick...O'Hare Airport!!!!!!!!!!
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

12. 01-14-2011, 12:19 AM
    Reason
    dual

Bob T
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Nice carburetors.
    Ha...It's a grungy set off the '82 Suzuki GS750E I was working on...they still need a full rebuild...

This here is my favorite. Yeah it's a little bulky but when you need it-splinters to bolts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Type M for Moderator
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Motorcycleton
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    ... the TSA captured my 30+ year old one my grandfather gave me ... and it still makes me sick...O'Hare Airport!!!!!!!!!!
    There are folks that make money selling TSA confiscated stuff (lot of knives). Ebay is the usual place for these folks to sell the used knives. Here is one such vendor -

http://shop.ebay.com/bouldercitynv/m.html

From the TSA blog -

http://blog.tsa.gov/2009/09/what-hap...ted-items.html

One small case...
    I'll say you have a problem!!! Look at all those missing Knives!!
    Rob R
    1994 K75 My first bike.