• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Salty Fog Riders Rally 2011

Base Camp Barn

just a glimpse of the evolving barn. It should be in fine shape for the rally and give riders an option to setting up a tent. Great gathering and ride briefing space. Indoor parking is also possible.
So, here's how it's all looking.... although now windows, door and shingles are installed.

DSC05107.jpg

DSC05126.jpg

DSC05127.jpg

and from the rooftop, a great view of our house (aka Salty Fog Riders Rally Base Camp)

DSC05200.jpg

ALSO, SOME COORDINATES FOR THOSE MAKING THAT LAST MINUTE DECISION TO JOIN US. DON'T FORGET: YOU CAN JOIN AT ANY POINT AND THE FOLLOWING ARE OUR CAMP LOCATIONS

LARRY’S RIVER BASE CAMP
N 45 13.478 W O61 22.545
LOUISBOURG CAMP SITE N45 55.195 W059 58.202
KOA SYDNEY CAMP N46 14.420 W060 29.791
MEAT COVE ‘EDGE OF THE EARTH’ CAMP N47 01.589 W060 33.562

If you do want to join in please contact us at saltyfogriders@gmail.com That will help us plan meals and inform campground hosts. - Bob

How many humans are we up to now, Bob?

15 preregistered but open to max at 20. So there's still a bit of room. That's enough to give us special group rates on the three camping sites and the cable ferry (at Little Narrows on Cape Breton Island). See ya there! - Bob

All Signs Point....

to Larry's River, Guysborough County, Nova Scotia and the fourth annual Salty Fog Riders Rally. These funky 'high tech' signs will assist locating the Base Camp. 13 days to the official start and 12 for those 'Early Arrival' riders :dance

roadsigns.jpg

Bob,

Sure am glad you went High tech wit dem dar signs.

Not sure I would have been able to find it if they were simple hand written with some arrows. :deal

I had a brief moment of anxiety when I wondered if the kids up there are like those here in Vermont. Our local kids have a habit of swapping directional signs to send tourists out in the sticks. No harm done, as the wayward tourists get to see parts of Vermont few get to experience.

I had a brief moment of anxiety when I wondered if the kids up there are like those here in Vermont. Our local kids have a habit of swapping directional signs to send tourists out in the sticks. No harm done, as the wayward tourists get to see parts of Vermont few get to experience.

never had a problem with that. Had one sign from '08 that I forgot to take down and it's still there pointing the correct way....... although a tad beat off because of the weather. - Bob

The rig is in my shop getting loaded up for the trip. Barley noticed the Motofizz and tank bags and got all excited! The little guy knows that means something more than a few hours in the local mountains.

In this time of shortened daylight hours we'll cross NH and ME just over the border into NB the first day. Second day we'll skirt the Bay of Fundy and end up in Tatamagouche on the Northumberland Straits. Third day destination is Larry's River; will probably arrive mid afternoon on Sunday.

Heavy rains from Irene here in VT right now. It's supposed to pick up significantly in a couple of hours, but after today the 10 day forecast is looking like exceptional traveling weather. I just hope the roads along my route that were just repaired from the spring flooding hold up to whatever Irene brings!

Looking forward to meeting new friends. :ca:usa

In this time of shortened daylight hours we'll cross NH and ME just over the border into NB the first day.

It's a struggle for me to deal with Atlantic time on my spring and fall trips to Canada. New Brunswick is on Atlantic time (as is NS), but Quebec is on Eastern time.

I have a buddy from Maine who avoids NB in the spring and fall and rides mostly in Quebec for this reason. He rides almost every weekend.

I have a buddy from Maine who avoids NB in the spring and fall and rides mostly in Quebec for this reason. He rides almost every weekend.

I've traveled in New Brunswick, Ontario, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Quebec with Barley. He has been welcomed warmly everywhere but Quebec. It's pretty much a show stopper for me. On the other hand there is a small ice cream scoop shop in North Bay ON that took one look at Barley and created a child's cone with whipped cream and a Milk Bone on top just for him! The memory still brings a huge grin to my face!

0n our way...

Progress & great weather... day 6. Saint John, NB through Fundy & the sunshine Trail East. Bob, keep the conditions like they have been through Acaida & Lubec ferry's all the way to Larry's River please! It cant be better! See you mid-afternoon Sunday. John & Dara

Heading out in 20 minutes, bike's packed. Tonight in Hull's Cove, Maine, tomorrow: Larry's River.

Where's a ride reports and pictures from the rally?

Thanks for asking. I have about 1,500+ pictures to sort through and hopefully do something additionally creative with. I had to block out time in October for this but it will be worth the wait!

What a great time we had ..... again. Lots of laughs and food at our Base Camp in Larry's River, chased by some fog, a few sprinkles of rain, sun/cloud games of tag, touching clouds in the Highlands, live theater, tour through a Fortress, modest mud to Meat Cove, excellent campfires, distillery tour and lots of great food.... really great food.

The report, likely of significant volumn, is forthcoming soon! It will be with a new thread title. - Bob

Last edited:
Knick...you should have been there!

Where's a ride reports and pictures from the rally?

Your F800GS would have been right at home... Bob & Mary put on a fantastic Cape Breton tour. Dara rode pillion with me for appox 2200mi of Maine & the Atlantic Provinces on quite a Maritime adventure. One must experence the
300km Cabot Trail & the "cove of meat"; camping within a dramatic landscape at the edge of the sea that's exceptionally beautiful!!! We had a great time with fine people who are now our friends... it dosen't get any better! :beer

Glad you had a great trip Cindy and I sure enjoyed it when we made our own tour to the TT that never happened in 07.

Your F800GS would have been right at home... Bob & Mary put on a fantastic Cape Breton tour. Dara rode pillion with me for appox 2200mi of Maine & the Atlantic Provinces on quite a Maritime adventure. One must experence the
300km Cabot Trail & the "cove of meat"; camping within a dramatic landscape at the edge of the sea that's exceptionally beautiful!!! We had a great time with fine people who are now our friends... it dosen't get any better! :beer

Thanks John. We are so happy that you and Dara had such a good time! Soon you will get a chance to see your smiling faces in the Ride Report...... and maybe even in an article for the MOA News (if my somewhat procrastinating fingers will get busy!). - Bob

Bob and Mary,

I can not express how much fun it was. It was good to meet both of you.

It was also good to finally meet everyone else that I have seen posts from. Some really good company and friends were made. :dance

Hope to see everyone out there on the road some time. :thumb

Sorry I have not posted sooner. Work has come at me with vengeance and I sit in Las Vegas NV right writing this. Dang boss would not let me ride out here and I had to fly.. Sacrilegious I say...

I have a bunch of pictures thanks Mary!! I will be getting them on disk and will be sending them to you.

Also.. for those that might want to know.. I know I do.. Mary made this Crock Pot soup.. All I can say is WOW.. So ... I have to know how and what you put in it so I can make it.. IF and that is a BIG IF.. you go hungry then it is your fault.. :brad

I can tell you that I have already started on planning to attend again and I am looking forward to it.

Thanks for the great Salty Fog Rally!!

Mack

Back