• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Salty Fog Riders Rally 2011

tourunigo

This is our fourth year hosting this rolling rally. Last year we started marketing very late but this year we start the year off right by declaring that:

Salty Fog Riders Rally
September 5-9, 2011
- Base Camp: Larry's River, Guysborough County, Nova Scotia
(one night free camping plus lots of food upon arrival, supper and breakfast - $35)
- A 400 mile tour in Guysborough Co. and around Cape Breton Island (Cabot Trail counter-clockwise)
- Three camp nights at $10 per person (Group Rate) (about $30 if not with group) (Louisbourg, Baddeck and Meat Cove)
- One (possibly two) Cable Ferries at $1.00 each (Group Rate) ($5.00 if not with group)
- Option to join up or depart during any point in the ride.
- Tour of Coal Mine (optional; museum/tour cost) (looking into group rate)
- Live musical theater in Louisbourg (about $15; optional) (no group rate....yet)
- Fortress Louisbourg tour (optional) (no group rate)
- Rita's Tea House for lunch (tea cups only; no mugs)
- All 'on road' foods are individual; we try to identify cost effective/interesting options

We are exploring various other visit options and will post as we identify them. Excluding the options list, costs will be pre-paid this year and, including Larry's River (food and camp) and three following nights camping will be $65 per person. Note that as we get into this year's negotiations some costing may change ie camping but we will post immediately.

We will be following up with much more information in the coming months! In the meantime, the following links will be give a bit of background on what to expect. We are also looking at T shirts for this one but no promises yet (not happy with local options).

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=46151&highlight=salty+fog

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=40130&highlight=salty+fog+rally

- Bob and Mary

Last edited:
Guysborough County, Nova Scotia

Looks like a great time! I tried to Google Guysborough County, Nova Scotia, selected maps and was quite surprised at what I found. :dunno

Looks like a great time! I tried to Google Guysborough County, Nova Scotia, selected maps and was quite surprised at what I found. :dunno

uh..... and what was that? Lots of good stuff that's been underrepresented for a few years. We start off with an Acadian focus and then shift over to other settling cultures over in Cape Breton. Anyway, hope you found some interesting stuff on your Google Quest. Come and you will have a good time! - Bob

This sounds like a great way to mark Nova Scotia off "the list". What kind of weather do you typically have there in September?:ear

This sounds like a great way to mark Nova Scotia off "the list". What kind of weather do you typically have there in September?:ear

we like early September because the weather is more predictable and the bugs tend to show a bit more mercy at that time. Also, being just after Labor Day helps diminish some of the tourist traffic. We also like to run the five days between the weekends. As a 'rolling rally' we don't stay still but do try and give you a flavor of the areas through theater, museum, food, sites, camping locations and ever changing scenary. We have been fortunate to have a number of repeat attendees (aka Alumni). Our food in Larry's River seems to go over well !:eat

Although I am currently trying to get a basket full of writing done, I hope to get the trip report of last year's SFRR posted with infor regarding this year's venue.

- Bob (optional email: saltyfogriders@gmail.com)

I just saw Tom's remarks. Salty Fog only covers Guysborough County and then across the causeway to Cape Breton Island. The rest of the Province requires at least another week just to ride around. Following our coast itself will keep you here for a lot longer but what a trip! And the folks you would meet are unarmed and very friendly/hospitable. - Bob

Time to get the maps out!

Mike, if you need any local info around the maps and travel times please either post here, PM or use saltyfogriders@gmail.com ...... I'll answer to them all. If you are in Penn in July we will also be able to speak more extensively about options and such. Glad that you are a) interested in Nova Scotia and b) that you are interested in the Salty Fog Riders Rally. (of course that goes for anyone else interested!) - Bob

The rally is outstanding, the tour is spectacular, I have been two years in a row the second trip with my wife and lastly the hosts and food at Larry's River are great!

The rally is outstanding, the tour is spectacular, I have been two years in a row the second trip with my wife and lastly the hosts and food at Larry's River are great!

:blush thanks. We try to give participants a taste of Nova Scotia. Sometimes this leads to them coming back either with us again or venturing back at some other point on their own. Now, if we could only have 100% control of the weather. - Bob

:blush thanks. We try to give participants a taste of Nova Scotia. Sometimes this leads to them coming back either with us again or venturing back at some other point on their own. Now, if we could only have 100% control of the weather. - Bob

Wait just one minute. Do you mean that the weather will not be as perfect as it was during the Salty Fog Rally of 2009? I expect a guarantee on the weather if I'm coming for the 2011.

I guess one day I'll be in for an unpleasant surprise. Rode there in 2006; perfect weather. Visited Halifax in August of 2009; perfect weather; 2009 September Salty Fog; perfect weather. Are you telling me that this isn't always paradise? :blah

Wait just one minute. Do you mean that the weather will not be as perfect as it was during the Salty Fog Rally of 2009? I expect a guarantee on the weather if I'm coming for the 2011.

I guess one day I'll be in for an unpleasant surprise. Rode there in 2006; perfect weather. Visited Halifax in August of 2009; perfect weather; 2009 September Salty Fog; perfect weather. Are you telling me that this isn't always paradise? :blah

now that's funny Paul. 2010 had a few weather challenges ie the bridge over to Meat Cove got washed out on the first day of the rally and we had to improvise a bit. The folks that stayed through it all were outstanding, very outstanding. So this year Paul..... sunshine and a very gentle wind and stunning views will prevail.:whistle - Bob

Mike, if you need any local info around the maps and travel times please either post here, PM or use saltyfogriders@gmail.com ...... I'll answer to them all. If you are in Penn in July we will also be able to speak more extensively about options and such. Glad that you are a) interested in Nova Scotia and b) that you are interested in the Salty Fog Riders Rally. (of course that goes for anyone else interested!) - Bob

Thanks Bob. I will be at this years rally in Pa. In the mean time I'll be looking at maps and such to try and get a plan in place for Cape Breton. I've been wanting to go for the last four years but it hasn't worked out. Let's hope this is the year.

Thanks 4 2010

Had a great time at the 2010 rally. Great group of friendly people,
made me feel very welcome to join the group.
Each day was a combination of riding, eating and relaxing, in a
beautiful area.
Does not get much better.
Highly recommend putting this on your calander if you can make it.
Unfortunatly I will be back in school by then, but wish I could attend
Have Fun
Jim (Detroit)

Had a great time at the 2010 rally. Great group of friendly people,
made me feel very welcome to join the group.
Each day was a combination of riding, eating and relaxing, in a
beautiful area.
Does not get much better.
Highly recommend putting this on your calander if you can make it.
Unfortunatly I will be back in school by then, but wish I could attend
Have Fun
Jim (Detroit)

Jim, your exceptional skills at quantity-campsite-food-prep was a special treat for us all! As soon as I get a little Trip Report assembled it will surely have a picture or more of you as chef. - Bob

I have been on two Salty Fog Rallys and in 2010 my SO came along. This was Cris's first extended motorcycle trip and she did great! We all had a great time even with the bridge wash out at Meat Cove. We will go again and add some more areas to visit in Canada. See you at Bloomsburg!

I have been on two Salty Fog Rallys and in 2010 my SO came along. This was Cris's first extended motorcycle trip and she did great! We all had a great time even with the bridge wash out at Meat Cove. We will go again and add some more areas to visit in Canada. See you at Bloomsburg!

Maybe we all can have a Salty Fog alumni gathering in Bloomsburg. We will be bringing information for those interested in the rally in particular or just info about Nova Scotia generally. - Bob

Back